Author Topic: Removing Galvanized plating the easy way  (Read 8298 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Removing Galvanized plating the easy way
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
Kept forgetting to take the camera out when I would be throwing a batch of galvanized hardware, pipe ends or fitting in to remove the plating before welding etc. with no worries of everything with in fuming distance, Starting to rust and no disposal problems.

I had bought two of these 1 1/2 gallon bottles over a year ago just cracked the last one for this job.
Along with the washers and buts bulk hardware @Tractors supply $1.99/pound. Eye Bolts are Stanley brand.

Placed them in a plastic coffee can with lid @ 11:30am shook it a couple times when walking by and around 3:30pm they were down. 4hours and done rinse and then dry off and you are ready to go.

You can see were the vinegar didn't get to there are couple of plated patches but they won't cause a problem, same as the shiny on the threads were the nuts were.

By the way it will also remove most mill scale, and fire scale too from steel.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Removing Galvanized plating the easy way
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
Very interesting, isn't it amazing that we actually eat this stuff too ...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »
Darren, all I can say is THANKS, I've used many other methods, but they all require either work, or the concern you speak of with regard to keeping everything else away.  I've got a parkerizing project which has been waiting for me to prepare the metal, but I have been too busy to bead blast the galvanizing and other away.  I think that gallon of white vinegar is going to be the answer.  Thanks much for posting something you probably wondered if it was too basic, it isn't.  mad jack

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
Well I'm glad it helps, as it is also safe around kiddies, pets and wildlife, no gloves etc. just shake and keep an eye on it as some of the cheaper and lighter plating come off fast, others takes over night. 
From the grief I caught on another forum, about it from well that "doesn't look like hot dip galvanizing" to "Muratic acid is faster"  :doh: :lol: I guess, I'm going to have to cut down on my posting on it since the rejects from PM seem to have taken over. And the tone has become make fun, call names, and be little anybody that thinks different.

My answer to the first one was I don't care as long as it is gone when I go to weld it, to the Vinegar is safe on all counts and fast enough for me!.

Quote from: Darren
Very interesting, isn't it amazing that we actually eat this stuff too
Yes and I always liked it on the chips whether it was English style in Hong Kong/Singapore or American French fries

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline johnny123

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
Heinz there are no other kinds! Were those zinc plated,or electro galvanized?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »
Heinz there are no other kinds! Were those zinc plated,or electro galvanized?

I have no idea, the better the plating and the heavier the plating the longer it takes. Of course if it is hot dipped heavy weight, ash the old style ash cans were done. It might not work. But for the general run of the mill plating on most hardware that is labeled (various/assorted countries of origin) it isn't a problem.
 :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
Good idea for a safe alternative, Glen.  I have a project coming up where I'll need to silver braze some threaded rod to
some steel  plates.  I wondered how I was going to get that coating off the threads without a lot of wire brushing. 
This looks to be a much better option!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!