Author Topic: Welding fume ventilator  (Read 5576 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Welding fume ventilator
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Ventilator for fumes welding part one
Here is a ventilator 8"dia that I picked at Harbor Freight #97762 8" or 12"Ventilator #97852
air flow low 1380 CFM/8" 2540 CFM/12"
air flow high 1590 CFM/8" 2930 CFM/12"

They have a duct that goes on it. Costs half as much as the ventilator did.

I'm going to  look for adapters for duct work to mount on the input/output and a permanent dump vent outside the shop
runs good and it is quite for an air handler. It is a two position on/off/on switch.

Adapting the intake hood and the duct that HF sells for it. First off I went to the Home Despot for the outlet box, the transition piece form round ducting to the rectangular register box in the wall for heating and AC when you have central forced air.
It is junk, it is amazing how thin they can make something and still make it work sort of. The round neck duct piece is just snap fit over start of the box. It popped off bouncing on the  seat of the truck on the way home.
First thing was to drill and pop rivet it on permanently.

This is the box, it is very sharp at all edges. There is no over locking seams/Pittsburgh seams type seams. A real one from the local H/AC supplier was 4 times as much as the HD one.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Welding fume ventilator part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »
Part 2

This is Z channel/strip normally used for connecting rectangular duct and hanging them from the joists.
I placed it and popped riveted it on all 4 edges to stiffen the box and remove a lot of the sharp edge areas. Duct Taped all around for added safety. After putting the vinyl fan ducting in the inlet side of the box. I duct taped it to the transition piece, to keep it place.

To attach it to the ventilator housing, it has an internal strap that goes thru a spring buckle for easy on and off.

This is the completed unit so far, Haven't decided where the exhaust vent hood is going to go through the wall. and what type of ducting I want to use. The ducting for this unit is 15 feet extended. I think that with about 8 feet from the discharge side to the exhaust outlet would cover any place in my shop that I would be welding in.

All most forgot, Tek Supply, Clarke, Northern and a number of auto parts suppliers all are selling a version of this ventilator, both in the 8" and 12" versions. Other than the paint, brand, decal colors, and 20 or so RPMs are the only differences I can see.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:38:35 PM by PTsideshow »

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Welding fume ventilator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:52:15 PM »
From the looks of it, that could be used to ventilate more than just welding tasks?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Welding fume ventilator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »
From the looks of it, that could be used to ventilate more than just welding tasks?

Eric

Yes it does pretty good on the exhaust fumes from the outdoor/2/4 stroke equipment or the nitro/2 stroke RC cars/trucks.
Will be getting back to it when the honey-do's slow up/stop :doh:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen