Author Topic: Bike brake and gear lever  (Read 12665 times)

Offline Jonny

Bike brake and gear lever
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
Just a couple of bits i knocked up for the nipper some months back.

Originals piccied with replacements

Imported this aluminium rear sprocket and lightened it further. New bearings front sprocket and decent chain while at it.

He keeps dropping off now need to replace 2nd time the clip ons.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Bike brake and gear lever
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
Nice Job! But I'm having a hard time seeing the rest of the bike in those pictures?
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
Jonny,

Is that a front sprocket guard? What bike?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
Its only a little one for the nipper.
Gilera SC125 the 2 stroke not the later 4 stroke. Otherwise branded as Derbi GPR125.
Not the actual bike just a generic piccy lifted off this site http://www.bikez.com/pictures/gilera/2007/26238_0_1_2_sc%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Gilera.jpg

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »
Eric it is a front sprocker sort of cover, dont know how legal as you could get your fingers in.
Its about the only thing he hasnt broke, oh and the JollyMoto.

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
I don't know whether you legally need a front sprocket cover, I haven't bothered using one for ages. Can't see why you would as you can easily chop your fingers off in the rear sprocket on lots of standard bikes.

Nice parts, I don't like aluminium sprockets though, they wear out like toffee, even hard anodised do not last. I far prefer normal steel ones from JT, especially considering how small a weight loss there is. Seems a bit of a waste to put such nice parts on an 'orrible 125 too.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
Not my bike its the nippers.
Italian magic with DTR Jap engine, light and nippy running around 28hp as is.
Would be nice with a CR or KX500 engine in.

The aluminium rear was made in the US, i imported earlier this year.  1/3 the weight of the crap steel one, then lightened. 1k no sign of wear whereas original steely had it at 3k.
Got an asian build JT sprocket on front.

Offline Rick448

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Very nice. They are just the sort of thing I'm looking to make. What tools did you use for that?

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Jonny,

This thread reminded me of comic strip from the 1950's. Hot Rod Magazine had a cartoon character named Stroker McGurk, In one issue of the magazine the state of California, home of some wild hot rods, had passed a law requiring fenders on all vehicles weighing more than 1500 lbs (680kg). The first frame was Stroker reading the law, the second he was busy drilling holes in the frame with a hole saw, the third showed the "rod" on the scales showing a weight of 1498 lbs. In the last frame his girl friend jumped in the car and it collapsed!!

Not to say your work is in danger. Just that it allowed an old man to reminisce.

Joe