Author Topic: Boats sure are alot of work!!!  (Read 28456 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Boats sure are alot of work!!!
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
Anyone here run boats? I have a 1975 Reinell Tri hull that I fish with. I made a deck over the front seats and added a trolling motor to the front. I have been fixing it up the last few weeks:o) I'll try and post a few pictures. We are planning on decimating a couple generations of bass and carp this summer\0/
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Boats sure are alot of work!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »
Does a 22ft long by 8ft wide poontoon boat count?

Pain the butt to dock at a 10ft wide dock in a side wind.  :(

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
If I was to get a different boat it would be a "Party Barge" I'll post some pictures of mine when I get her in the water.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:13:42 AM »
So far Ive installed new carpet. Replaced a couple pieces of wood that were rotten under the dash. Installed new fishing pole holders. Today I made a box to store the trolling motor battery. It also serves as a step up to the deck. I started to tidy up the wiring today. I'll see if I can get the bottom finder installed tomorrow. I also have some painting and some welding to do. I'm making a rack to hold a cooler on the splash deck near the motor. Then the new seats can go in and we can hit the water :clap:

I know :worthless: I'll see what I can do:o)
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Here's a couple of quick pictures. Here you can see the new boards that I put in under the dash. The new Fire extinguisher is handy and out of the way. The box in the center houses the battery for the trolling motor and serves as a step to get up onto the deck in the front. Nice new carpet.

The deck\o/

I think I have the wiring nearly sorted out. I have to clean a few more connections. I need to get a Tachometer and a radio. I also ran the wires for the bottom finder today. Hopefully I can hit the water this week\o/
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »
Nice. Ready to relax on the water drowning worms.  :lol:

I thought I had a few pics of our party barge but didn't find any. Looks like I need to take a few.

Bernd

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
I took it out yesterday. The motor didn't want to rev clear up. It would kind of sputter and cough and get boggy. It starts and idles great and I think midrange was fine. Just not enough oomph to get the boat up on plane.  :(

I messed around with it a little and ran it quite a bit. Just not up on plane. when I got home, I pulled the cover back off. A buddy had stopped by to say Hi. We noticed the choke lever under the hood was part way between "automatic" and "choke". We are going to go out today. Hopefully that was the problem.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:03:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure the problem is the carbs. They probably just need cleaned.  I don't feel comfortable taking them apart, so I'm going to take them to a guy I know.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
It's going back togather today\o/ The bottom two carbs were filthy. He said it should run like a champ.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
I forgot to add. I had to order a new Tachometer. Smoke came out of the old one? I have new marine speakers and a CD player\o/ And the new boat cover should be here this week. Hopefully the cover wont get much use.

Anyone ever go bowfishing? I went for the first time last weekend. I got 5 carp. We had a blast!!!

Anyone have any carp recipes? Smoked/ cooked/ pickled?
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
No recipes Wes. How the heck do you aim. I know about the angle when you see a fish as to were it really is? I forgot what they call that.

Bernd

Offline DABIRDGUY

• glennsplace.com
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
BOAT: (noun) A hole in the water into which you pour all your money, time and elbow grease.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »

Carp Recipe;

Get a pine shingle. place carp on shingle, season to taste.

Stick in oven at 450 Degrees for 1 hour.

Remove from oven, throw carp away and eat shingle.    :)

Sorry I couldn't resist.   :) :) :)
    Ron

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
That recipe works good for muskrat also Ron :lol:

Aiming is tricky. The phenomenon that you refer to Bernd, is called refraction. Basically you aim low. I am probably going to make some stiffer limbs for my recurve bow. There were a couple that I hit that the arrow didn't go in. My uncle makes bows and has a limb jig that will work for my bow\o/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:52:31 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10:30 PM »
The phenomenon that you refer to Bernd, is called refraction. Basically you aim low.

Ya, that's it. Had a brain phart and couldn't come up with the right word.

Bernd

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:14 AM »
Got my boat back yesterday. Man what a blast!!! My Guy did an excellent job rebuilding the carbs!!! I went out tonight and the boat hops out of the water like it used to :headbang: We went out to shoot some more fish, but  didn't see any:( I got my new cover installed tonight also. Just have to install the new tach and stereo :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: But its suposed to rain the next few days. Well see.

Hope all are well, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 12:59:25 AM »
I agree Wes, boats ARE a lot of work... but boating is so much fun......

:D :)
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
What's that Artie? Austrialian sand sking?  :ddb:  :lol:  :ddb:  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Artie

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:36 AM »
nah not us mate..I think its you lot...(steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side)  :) :D :) :D :) :D

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
Ah, got me.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »
For a boat, the steering wheel is on the wrong side for this side of the pond. Most of our boats have right side steering with a few that are center mounted.

Joe

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
We were out the other day and the steering cable came unraveled  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: I ordered a new replacement.

I got Gout right after and haven't been out in the shop. I couldn't hardly walk for four days :bang: But today I got the new cable and steering box installed. I'm ready to hit the water now :)
Wesley P

Offline Artie

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
Mate, Im glad the cable didnt jam on ya.... kinda NOT funny......

Gout? Oh my...... I used to suffer from that particular form of torture...... nasty nasty..... I found my 'trigger' and removed it from my diet...  :( (im an Aussie..we LOVE our vegemite) hardly an occurance now in years......

Oh I feel for you....

Rob T

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
Cripes, Vegemite sounds like the definition of Gout.... Wish I could find my trigger...I think it might be lasagna unfortunately.... :scratch:

Offline Artie

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:10 AM »
Ah, tis a terrible thing... until I was afflicted I truy had no idea..... my doctor is a woman who is also (quite rare) a gout sufferer, she says that gout is more painfull than childbirth... who am I to argue?

I know that I have had a morphine injection while 'under the influence'..... gladly tis no more.... and thats the way it will stay... (I hope)....