Author Topic: Good evening sirs !  (Read 3805 times)

Offline ClydeBuilt

Good evening sirs !
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
Just an intro as is only polite...

Im in UK/Scotland/Glasgow, have modest workshop facilities and even less disposable income so invention and adaptation is a much needed skill.
Retired through health reasons I spend my time pottering in the hut with various things, including my radio controlled toys, of which there are boats, subs, tanks and cars. A 1-6th scale tank is on the productin line, but that may take a while.

I really do wish I had paid attention back in high school, Im now having to re-learn everything, but enjoying it this time around. I can do basic things on the lathe and Im currently trying to adapt a sliding X-Y vise thing into a milling attachment. With the help of some friends at the model boat club, I constructed my first copper boiler, which passed muster. Im now fitting a v-twin, oscillating, double acting steam engine into a 4ft Clyde Puffer and have acquired a pair of Mamod rollers missing some parts, hopefully I'll be able to get them both running.

Hope I can fit in?

Cheers
Bill

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Good evening sirs !
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
Heya Bill  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg: Sounds like you fit in! We do need some pictures as some us (me!) have an easier time visualizing than reading!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
Bill welcome to the forum...I'm a bit more literate so type away..but pictures say more..( droool....)

Nice to have you on board  :wave:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
Hi Bill :wave: welcome to Madmodders,

I'm sure that you will fit right in here :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
Hi Bill,

You`ll do!  :thumbup: ..... Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

Join in........ Show pics..... Enjoy!  :D

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
ClydeBuilt

Hi Bill and welcome to MadModder. I know what you mean when you say "less disposable income so invention and adaptation is a much needed skill" as I am very much in that category as well as "Retired through health reasons". I mess about with RC as well so it seems like we have a bit in common. Look around on the forum and I think you will find lots of good reading and informative posts on many subjects. If you have any questions, just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. We look forward to seeing some of your projects and hearing what you are up too.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline zetec7

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
Wow!  Another model submariner!!  There aren't many of us loony enough to take those on.  They are fun, though!

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 03:15:56 AM »
Bill - not sure if its quite on the scale on that you're working at - but did you catch the program on BBC2 last night "How to build ...... a Nuclear Submarine" on the build of the first of the new Astute class?  :dremel:  (not sure if there's a Mr McPhail on there though!)

Looks like its going to be an interesting series - next week's one is on how they build jet engines at RR in Derby.

Dave