Author Topic: Yamaha Cafe racer conversion with a modern touch  (Read 11112 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Yamaha Cafe racer conversion with a modern touch
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
I decided to start a project log of one of my many project bikes. I figure if i start the log, then I will be forced into making progress. The pictures will be coming this weekend (as soon as I organize the shop).

So this is what the project consists of:

I was given a 1981 Yamaha XS400 frame and engine. Nothing else. I have been acquiring parts as I go. Currently right now, I have the engine, frame, swingarm, rear shocks, battery box, airbox and wiring harness. I also have misc RZ350 parts... front end, swingarm and wheels.

The idea is to bolt the RZ350 front end to the frame. It fits, this has already been done.

I am going to modify the frame to take the RZ swingarm. This will be a pain as the swingarm pivot point is a little larger than the stock swingarm. plus the RZ has a monoshock suspension whil stock is a dual shock setup.

More modifications to the frame include cleanup of all the brackets that will not be needed. Removing the center stand. removing half of the subframe section and support to allow a cafe style seat.

The seat and tank will be carbon fiber units to my design.

The headlight bucket will be CF as well with CNC'd mounts.

The kickstand will be one of my signature CF items.

Rearsets will be designed and CNC'd.

I am keeping the airbox for induction instead of going to filter pods. This will allow me to run CF velocity stacks. Again, the airbox will be reconstructed from carbon fiber.

The engine will be cleaned up, powder coated and have new seals and gaskets. I may go to oversize pistons... I may not. The head will be velocity ported (not hogged out porting) with new cams. I am also thinking of using a microsquirt setup and fuel injecting the engine. Not sure about this as it is a HUGE undertaking.

The front fender will be used as a mold for a custom CF unit.

As you can see, it is getting an upgrade. Not quite the standard cafe build.

Thoughts?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Yamaha Cafe racer conversion with a modern touch
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
Interesting project. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast but do appreciate a nice looking bike.

You mentioned using csrbon fiber being used. I'd be very interested how you work that material and were one can get it.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
Cafe bikes seem to be the new flavor of the month.  I hammered a set of fairings for a BSA 650 last year.  The owner wanted something that would set himself apart from the run of the mill V-twin set. 

Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Cafe bikes seem to be the new flavor of the month.  I hammered a set of fairings for a BSA 650 last year.  The owner wanted something that would set himself apart from the run of the mill V-twin set. 

yeah, they are starting to come around. I have been building them for a few years... owned some of that style for about 15 years. I predicted that cafes will  have their day under the sun again back in the late 90's.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »
Interesting project. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast but do appreciate a nice looking bike.

You mentioned using csrbon fiber being used. I'd be very interested how you work that material and were one can get it.

Bernd

Watcha wanna know?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »

Bernd

Watcha wanna know?

Eric

Bascially is it laid up like fiberglass? How do you shape it to fit curves? Do you use a cloth and a resin ?

I never seen it available at any kind of store or catalog. Have heard about the material and it's properties. That's why I'm asking these silly little questions.   ???

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »

Bascially is it laid up like fiberglass? How do you shape it to fit curves? Do you use a cloth and a resin ?

I never seen it available at any kind of store or catalog. Have heard about the material and it's properties. That's why I'm asking these silly little questions.   ???

Bernd

Anything you can do with fiberglass you can basically do with CF. Wet lay-up or Vacuum bag are different options for home and small shop users. The main difference is I would not, under any circumstance use the resin from home depot or the auto parts store (Bondo brand).

You can find the fabric at a lot of places on the web. You can find a bunch of cut-offs etc on ebay to play around with for a good price. Ebay Search. I get most of supplies from fiberglast on the web. Resins, epoxies, CF, vacuum bagging supplies. They also have some free how tos. Fiberglast

You can also rent videos on CF work (including the ones fiberglast sells) at smartflix. Videos

Let me know if you want to know more. I will answer anyway I can.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
Ok, so CF isn't handled much different than fiberglass. Use the proper cloth and resin and your all set.  :)

I just thought because of it's toughness that is was something special.

Oh I just had a revalattion. I was thinking kevlar instead of CF.  :o That's why all the questions.  :P Everything is perfectly clear now. Was thinking one material when we were talking about something completely different.  :D

That'll be all for the questions for now. Thanks.

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
.... I was thinking kevlar instead of CF....

Bernd

Kevlar can be used just like CF or glass.

Eric
Science is fun.