Author Topic: Screw Head Polishing Tool  (Read 9247 times)

Offline Jere

• Adventures in Watchmaking
Screw Head Polishing Tool
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
Hello all,

Finished a little project and thought I would share.  In the process of making various tiny screws, grinding and polishing the top surface can be a bit tricky.  I had first made a jig, called a 'frog' or 'bolt tool' (depending on the text).  It consists of a clamp with two rear leg-screws which are positioned level with the object to be polished in the clamp.  The difficulty lies in leveling these leg-screws for polishing something only a fraction of a millimeter thick. I could have made some improvements, for example a smaller screw pitch, but I decided on a better designed tool.  A source of information on the bolt tool can be found here (http://www.bhi.co.uk/aHints/frog.html)

Photo of the old tool:

In Henry Fried's book, "Bench Practices for the Watch and Clockmaker" he provides a diagram for a screw polishing tool which has three stationary legs, i.e. a tripod.  This omits the need to make the tool level for each use.  The object to be polished is held in a collet (8mm watchmaker's collets in this case), and an adjustment for height is provided.

I made a drawing and machined the components from brass plate and hex rod, drill rod, and 12L14 steel rod.  It consists of a tube to fit a collet with a nut to draw-tighten the collet.  This tube is keywayed and fit into a larger tube, which has a set-screw to mate with the keyway (this arrangement allows for the height adjustment).  I made the legs to fit into bushings which will allow small adjustments to be made to the tool to keep it level over time. 

For additional information, I detail the construction process on my website (http://watchmaking.weebly.com/screwhead-polisher.html).

The finished components:

The assembled tool:

Thanks for looking,
Jere

"If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."  A. Einstein

Adventures in Watchmaking

Offline slowcoach

Re: Screw Head Polishing Tool
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
What a lovely looking device, I will have to add that one to my long list of thing to make  :dremel:. Thanks for showing  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:46:59 PM »
Very nicely done!  :clap:

Love the build link.

how about some shots/video of it use? edit** saw it at the end of the page

Eric
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:48:41 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Super Jere! Thanks for posting, enjoyed the read.
Chris

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
Such a nicely made tool.  A sure sign of the craftsman. 
Well done, Jere!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!