Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 3080 times)

Offline cidrontmg

Hi all
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
 Time to introduce a lurker. Iīm a pensioner nowadays, I was a dentist in Finland for some 20 years, then some 21 years ago came to Portugal. My wife had a small sewing factory in Finland, and we moved it here, and I stopped being a dentist, to help getting the factory going again, somewhat bigger. Neither of us spoke any portuguese, nor did the children(2), but things worked out quite well nevertheless. Now weīre even citizens here (as well as Finland), and not going back.
We bought a small "quinta", meaning a farm, sort of, not far from Penafiel, which is abt. 30 km east of Oporto. Center of Penafiel is 4-5 km away so itīs quiet and calm here, and the city is within walking distance. This place was some hundreds of years ago the local priestīs living, the house was built in 1658, and true to portuguese sense of humor, itīs called "Casa Nova", that is "new house".
View from the shop door, facing NW.

The house with the red roof + parabolic is also ours, although we donīt live there, there are 3 houses in this quinta,
plus some other farm buildings. And some ruins of houses. South end of Penafiel is in the background, most of it is to the right, not visible here.

Going into the shop, thereīs the mill + usual clutter of tools,

the lathe. A bright day, itīs not usually so well lit

note the thickness of the walls, >80 cm of huge granite blocks
Turning a bit, thereīs this

more tools + stuff (all necessary, obviously...)
and turning a bit more

Thatīs about all there is, cramped into 5 x 2.5 m. Thereīs also another room, some steps from here, whose main purpose is to store firewood and central heating boiler. I have some (hand) woodworking tools there, a small band saw, planer, routers, circular saw, etc. It would be warm also in winter, but its then full of logs.

I fitted some scales to the mill, the remote DROīs are visible in this. Theyīre mounted at an angle, for easier visibility. If you look at them straight from the front, they have very little contrast, and the mill table is well lit. I tried to fix a LED inside, to give the display some back light, nothing doing. Too little space in the box.
You might also note a pancake fan I mounted on top of the motor housing. I havenīt had problems with the motor overheating, but just in case, and it gets often hot in Portugal. There are some air inlet openings at the back of the motor housing, towards the column. The woodworkers clamp holds the light temporarily, I havenīt yet decided where to drill the holes to optimally fix it  :scratch: :scratch:

Thatīs about it.   :wave:                        More swarf and scrap (the usual).
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
Hiya Cidrontmg,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

That's a beautiful view you have there! The shop looks good too. I think you have the picture part down. However, I think I see some things I would like to read more about. In the 2nd picture (your 1st shot of the shop) there appear to be 3 items with flywheels in the forground...  :beer:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:22:31 AM »
Hi there and welcome to Madmodders :headbang:

Nice workshop, and lovely views.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
Hi Cid,

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

You live in what seems to me, to be Modder heaven...... Beautiful scenery. No low temperatures!  :D

Join in. Show pics...... Enjoy!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi cid.

Nice spread you got and a nice shop packed with lots of goodies.

Welcome.

Comment.  I bet its strange to have to go to the fridge for ice instead of collecting it from outside your front door. ::)

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
Welcome to collective cidrontmg.  :borg:

WOW, nice view from the shop. Wish I had that kind of view out my shop.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
Thank you all, and
Bernd: yes, it must have been a lot easier in 1658 to choose a nice location for the local priestīs living than it is now...
ieezitin: well, it was strange at first, but as far as climates go, Portugal beats Finland 6-0. And weīve HAD snow here, 4 times in 20 years. But it always melted during the same day. Lowest temp weīve seen was -5 C. Lowest we had in Finland (during 40 years there) was -46 C...
Brass_Machine: the things are 10% built hitīn miss engines, waiting for materials (cast iron for cylinder tubes is very scarce here) and inspiration, plans by D. Kerzel. Theyīve been at that stage for quite a while.
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline GArat

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
Welcome :D :D :D :D on board cidrontmg !!!!
Best regards