Author Topic: Aluminium rods/tubes UK - where?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline rvt

Aluminium rods/tubes UK - where?
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:28 AM »
I'm in need of a tube that is roughly 68-70mm OD with the wall around 10mm thick. I've been quoted for a 2.75" OD x 1/2" (69.85mm OD x 12.7mm) by a place I've used on ebay once (forwardmetals), the guy there is a helpful person. But anyway the quote was for 250mm and £19.50 + £7.50 postage. To me, that is a lot of money for little tube, although it is a very specific size I need that seems to be hard to find, so perhaps this is the best there is. I'm curious if anyone knows a good place to order such stuff?

I've no problem paying that as I know it will do what I want (just need to make some thin washers basically), just curious where others shop as I'm 'new to the game'.

Thanks!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Aluminium rods/tubes UK - where?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:48:47 AM »
RVT

Do the final dimensions allow it to be trepanned out of plate/sheet alloy?

You say 'thin washers' , if you are a bit more specific re: finished dimensions, we may get closer to the answer.. :thumbup:

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline rvt

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
Thanks Dave,

Sorry, not very specific, it's for a job in a couple of weeks so don't actually have the thing to hand to be more precise. I 'guestimate' the actual 'washer' will be around 65mm OD and around 2-4mm thick. There will be a small 'lip' on the one side.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »
rvt

You will be better off, I think, whipping it out of a bit of sheet.

Your only caveat is the thickness, if it is critical, you may not be able to obtain the exact sheet thickness.

It ain't made in 'tenths of a thou' increments.

Trepanning is fairly easy on a faceplate. Some stuff on this forum I think. Like some other operations, can be a bit fraught if you mess around.

( Was going to say 'cut corners' , but didn't   :lol:  )

EDIT ..

There is this Co. prices seem quite reasonable to me, however, they only seem to supply fairly long bits, and the shipping is painful.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Aluminium-Flat_Bar_-_Imperial_Sizes/c120_126/p16740/Aluminium_Flat_Bar_-_Imperial_Sizes_(6082T6)_3_in_x_1/8_in/product_info.html

Your treasure, your call.  :D

Dave BC

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:07:15 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.