Author Topic: Bad news for Coleman Powermate equip owners  (Read 1987 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Bad news for Coleman Powermate equip owners
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »

Well another name in the outdoor power equipment field has been divesting it self of its gas outdoor equipment division. I have a 28 year old pressure washer(1982) I know older than some on this forum! It has worked well and always starts on the second pull still. Brought it out to use it the other day. It fired up and the hose ruptured at the inlet to the trigger. The way its made couldn't fit any kind of clamps or ferrule in there.

Well in calling around I have found out that they have taken the parts computer system down for the dealers and service stores. They can't hardly get the common stuff. The hose assembly "forget about it", And this was made before they started the standardized fitting sizes etc.

So after 4 days of beating my head against surly people on the phone and dealers that are pretty P.O.'d I did some research and bite the bullet and bought another one. A Troy built with a Honda engine. After 3 hours of use, I can say it is an ok operating piece of equipment, Other than some major design flaws, the handle at the top doesn't want to stay clipped to it self. The little plastic things are to short, the gas tank is located under handle, shelf holders for the wand, hoses and nozzles tips.

The biggest problem with this one and all the low end consumer types, is the fake hoses that come with them. I believe that it is, some form or type of PVC hose, same kind of lousy, kinky stuff the cheap air hoses and garden hoses that kink and twist and never get straightened out after the first kink.It is real stiff with or with out pressure on it. The other strange thing is it seems to have the desire to wrap it self on or over the engine at any opportunity.

They have a lot of people bringing them back with melted hoses according to the guy at the store. So much of a problem they have a keep away from hot surfaces printed on the hose every couple of feet.

I'm off to buy a industrial grade hose as soon as the stores open.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad news for Coleman Powermate equip owners
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
I did get the pro hose, this morning, cost another $51.and change, but what a difference it doesn't fight you every time you move, it unrolled straight and even under pressure it doesn't want to kink, plus it doesn't want to move over the engine and hot muffler when you move near the unit to change tips and turn on and off the soap. I would have rather replaced the hose ,wand etc. but they didn't use the standard M22 fittings on the pump discharge and wand and hoses like now.

Wifey likes it as her wood swing is now almost as clean as when I made it 12 years ago. It also took off the moss/mold and other curd that has been on the block work of the house since we bought it 30 plus years ago. no scrubbing no more Muratic acid and killing wifey's plants. So she has detailed me to do the block basement walls around the whole house. The extra 1,100 psi is nice. Guess I got my moneys worth out of the old one.

It was worth the cost just for the lower blood pressure,no colorful language heard over the privacy fence, and non frustration in using the unit and hose.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen