Author Topic: Extra quick change tool holders for my A2Z QCTP  (Read 24191 times)

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
Re: Extra quick change tool holders for my A2Z QCTP
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Yes it can, you only need use part of the cutter face... or make slight alterations to your measurements.

In fact the limiting factor is the cutter shank touching the upper inner edge before the full face depth is cut if your cutter is smaller than the face you wish to cut....... as long as you rcutter will fit in the gap use see pictured above it can cut the dovetail.

I think you are ok Wong... take pics and show us your progress...  :worthless:

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:49:25 AM by Artie »
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline wongster

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Thanks Rob.

Given that the slot is around 21mm and the wider part of the cutter is 25.4mm, I'll be cutting into one side at around 7 to 8mm on the 1st part in order to avoid the other side of the slot.  I don't know if I can do that with my Sherline mill.  Would cutting both side of the slot in the first pass alright?

Regards,
Wong.

Offline Artie

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:06 PM »
Ok, I got it... a bit slow at times. Im completely unfamiliar with the functionality of the Sherline so Im walking blind here. Does it have head tilt capacity? If it did you could use a thin end mill to cut something of an angle into one of the vertical faces, it doesnt matter what angle just enough to allow the dovetail cutter to enter the slot almost at the bottom.

If it doesnt tilt, you could clamp the work to the table tilted up on one edge.

Offline wongster

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
I see... you are creating a wider area for the 1" dovetail cutter so that for anyone time, only one side of the slot is cut.

Thanks Rob.

Regards,
Wong

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Hi Wong

Have a loooooooooooooook here         http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTMillDovetail.htm     would save you having to bye a dovetail cutter  :D  ,,,,,,,,good how too ,,,,,, mmmmmmm looks like i will have to add it too the must make  list  :thumbup:

Cheers Rob  

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:30:13 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline wongster

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
I'm not there yet, Rob, to make my own cutter.  Some day I would.

I'm off office this Saturday as I'm scheduled for duty full day on Sunday.  Saturday will be a good time to see if I can make dovetails.  If all work well, I can make a tool holder just for my new little boring bit.... one for my DI... one for all my tools... hehehehe....

Regards,
Wong

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 02:23:43 AM »
Hi Wong

Have a loooooooooooooook here         http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTMillDovetail.htm     would save you having to bye a dovetail cutter  :D  ,,,,,,,,good how too ,,,,,, mmmmmmm looks like i will have to add it too the must make  list  :thumbup:

Cheers Rob  

I beleave something is wrong in the geometri of this cutter - look at the front view ... the back of the inserted bit have a radius bigger that the cutting edge - right ?

So you have to choose the inserted bit very carefully so the back edge has a SMALLER radius than the cutting edge.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Artie

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 02:32:31 AM »
Hi Ksor, if you look further into the diagrams you see an actual photo of the cutter and it has a cutting tip installed that is tapered, which I agree with you, is not reflected in his cad drawing, which you are correct in saying would not work efficiently. The reality is much better as evidenced by teh photo.

Oh, thread back to you Steve, sorry about the hi jacking...  :doh:
Rob T

Offline swhite

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:35 PM »
Rob,
I don't feel like I have been hijacked, I am learning something from all of the reply's

Steve
Steve W.