Author Topic: Some of my ongoing bike projects  (Read 7275 times)

MrFluffy

Some of my ongoing bike projects
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »

My now departed sleeper gpz turbo, 145hp and bone stock looking. The only really obviously modified part on view was the (completely) homemade exhaust but it had a dump valve, home made pneumatic boost controller and all sorts of other mods. That end can was once part of a ally drainpipe. I sold it to buy some underfloor heating for our new house  :hammer:...

What I started to replace it with. I was going to rebuild the above bike into a french registered chassis due to import hassles around the 100hp limit law here, so bought a frame and then a friend blew up his fireblade stunt bike so sold me the wheels and swingarm cheap. Some gsxr1100 forks were made to fit and suddenly I realized I had enough junk to make a whole bike out of but with brakes and suspension more in keeping with the power out. So I am...

A led tail light unit milled from a offcut of unknown grade aluminium.

Headlight brackets ( I hate wobbly headlights riding at night)

Done

Motor from junk, but with every lesson Id learnt from the first bike incorporated. The lockup snowflake is cast and bought in not machined though.

My xt500 , usd forks, mono rear, fat spoked supermoto wheels, 320mm disc up front with a 6 pot caliper and 600cc so far, you get the idea, restorers please turn away now  :thumbup:

Another project turbo bike.

This is my long term long suffering gs750. I had it normally aspirated running flatslide carbs and a ported 1000 head, then a turbo with efi, and the latest folly is a supercharger and a turbo at the same time with the ecu switching the blower off at higher pressures. Its grown to 904cc with forged pistons and all the pipework is iconel and the running gear will be reworked yet again for taming it purposes. Its not fast, but it is a handful and exciting to ride when its not in bits being mutated, which come to think of it the past 10 years its probably been rideable for 2-3 summers of them  :bugeye:

Picked up this old gpz11 recently because Ive always wanted one. Strident promises to the wife that I wouldnt be hacking it about as I have too much on the go already. She just gave me that knowing look at the time...

Then rode it, oh dear (or words to that effect) the brakes and suspension are terrible!
Hmmm these nice zx9 forks look about the right size with some new yokes, and that zx9r wheel and toxico 6pot calipers at the back of the shed should sharpen up the brakes. And so projectitis starts again...

My sp400, not heavily modded just cleaned up, new plastics/wiring/electrics with solid state 6v regulators and led lights etc, different pipe and cans and stuff like that. Once upon a time it had a rather lively tuned engine, but the camchain tensioner blade failed and I took it out to rebuild then it was stolen out the workshop! I havent got the heart to redo it so just have a soft gn400 engine in nowadays. 90mph wandering all over the road on knobblies with a tiny sls drum brake is too much anyway.

Got other bikes but theyre mostly stock and boring as a result, even the bimota  :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Some of my ongoing bike projects
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
Awesome!

Had me a gpz 550 back in the day. Not a turbo tho.

The 1st project turbo, the one with the white frame... is that a frame you did yourself? Looks like a VFR swingarm. Maybe a 750 or one of those cool 400s(NC30)? Very similar to the Hawk GT (honda bros) I have in the garage, except there is no linkage on mine.

The GS has a very cool supermotard look to it! Frame looks stock but modified heavily??

Bimota???? I expect pictures!

I am in to V-twins now. Specifically Suzuki TLs. Tho I do have a soft spot for Ducati. My other soft spot is for 2-strokes...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

MrFluffy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
Awesome!

Had me a gpz 550 back in the day. Not a turbo tho.

The 1st project turbo, the one with the white frame... is that a frame you did yourself? Looks like a VFR swingarm. Maybe a 750 or one of those cool 400s(NC30)? Very similar to the Hawk GT (honda bros) I have in the garage, except there is no linkage on mine.

The GS has a very cool supermotard look to it! Frame looks stock but modified heavily??

Bimota???? I expect pictures!

I am in to V-twins now. Specifically Suzuki TLs. Tho I do have a soft spot for Ducati. My other soft spot is for 2-strokes...

Eric
White framed turbo was originally built by a small custom shop in the UK, but with 80's kawasaki running gear and a different powerplant.
I added the vfr750 rear arm, vfr800 rear wheel some tl1000 forks and a fireblade front wheel to match the rear, then fitted the turbo engine instead as the original 750 n/a motor had grenaded.

GS was once upon a time a stock front frame loop, but I bought it as a failed chopper project so I literally got a front frame loop + swingarm, the engine and the over length forks. Braced the front loop and fabricated the subframe. Everything else came out the scrap bin behind the shed, mostly from a dead gs550 which donated most of what was required. The rest I scrounged from work as a perk of working as a bike mechanic at the time. I think I still owe that rear shock to someone who loaned it me to get on the road :) :-

This is the bimota.

I used to just stop and stare at all the little details while I was working on it at first, I was in awe of the thing as growing up Id never dreamed of being able to have one, but that was before meeting a girl who had credit cards :D
 Its a YB8, the y denoting yamaha engined, in this case the 1000 exup engine and they breathed on it a bit and put freer flowing airbox and exhausts than yamaha and claimed 165hp ex works with 130kgs dry weight on the paperwork. I seriously doubt both those figures though, they must have been very small italian show ponies, and very light kg's ;)
It has all sorts of tech on it that is still interesting, drilled larger diameter spindles for reduced weight, floating cast iron brembo race brakes, adjustable wheelbase and headstock angle, both done with eccentric bearing cups. The fuel tanks plastic (im not even sure thats legal...) , the list goes on. Sure I could buy a r1 and get most of it, but everyone can have a r1, but there was only ever 262 of these made worldwide, and I bet most of them are in collectors hands never to be ridden in anger, let alone had 26k put on them in 8 years like this one has :)

I have a naked pic of it :beer:

I like twins too, I grew up with my brothers owning bevel head 750GT's and the like. Ive not had too much luck with 2strokes because I tended to go overboard with the tuning and they ended up too fragile as a result. The last one I had was a yds7 mind, so things have moved on, but I still have seen too many smeared nikasil liners to be convinced so Im going to hunt down a cbx1000-6 motor and stick it in a moto martin frame instead when I get a few of the current projects done...

I think the summary could be that I like anything with two wheels especially aircooled stuff. The funkier the better :)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »
Fun stuff!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...