Author Topic: Scrap Dealers  (Read 5147 times)

Baldrocker

Scrap Dealers
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »
It occurs to me that we as a community of modders, model makers, home machinists etc
should agitate for the institution of

INTERNATIONAL METAL RECYCLERS DAY

or  perhaps national awards long the lines of OBE (UK) OA (Aus) Order of Merit (France) etc

FOR SERVICES TO THE MODEL MAKING FRATERNITY

just to show our appreciation of these most times unsung heroes.

br

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Scrap Dealers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
I'm glad that they are of a better class of Human being, where you are.

The one's in this area, could be called, unindited co-conspirators at best, just a thief at worst.

One of them buy's anything metal, no questions asked not only the sewer lids/grates but aluminum ladders walked in to the yard by a couple.  He bought the ladder, they stole from a guy that lived across the street from me. And they were picked up by the sheriff 1/2 block from his yard. They told the sheriff were it was, by the time he drove back to the yard it was all ready across the street and in building he owned with a different name on it.

Of course he claimed he knew nothing.

His mother was worse she deducted 2 pounds for weight of container at least, even if you didn't have a container.

The other one had a neat trick, he had a metal bar on the back edge of the base of the portable scale he used. Of course it is to keep the scale from moving back. It was set up in away that it was hard to see, he would put the toe of his steel toe boot under it just enough to shave a couple pounds off. His steel toed boots always had the leather missing and chopped up.

An old guy came in one day when I was there, and as the scraper had placed his toe in place, The old guy dropped a large heavy chunk of tool steel near the corner. The scraper must have jumped a foot getting his foot out of the way!

So you won't get a vote from me, years ago maybe but the current generation of around here  :borg:

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Baldrocker

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:08:17 AM »
Bugger

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:55:13 AM »
An "Egon Ronay Guide to Scrap Dealers" would be good.

I must say that the last one I visited in Liverpool was excellent. A friend knew the place and took me there. We collected about 70lbs of miscellanous bits, including some brass and bronze, and went to pay. "Aw, that's nuthin', lads - just take it". We forced £10 on to him in case we go there again. 

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:23:29 AM »
If I could find a scrappy that was actually interested in selling me some bits he'd get my vote. Tried a few and the only one that was willing to let me have a look around had bugger all apart from a couple of old brass taps :(

Can anyone recommend a hobby friendly scrappy in (or even near !) Surrey

Cheers

Jim

Offline kwackers

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »
An "Egon Ronay Guide to Scrap Dealers" would be good.

I must say that the last one I visited in Liverpool was excellent. A friend knew the place and took me there. We collected about 70lbs of miscellanous bits, including some brass and bronze, and went to pay. "Aw, that's nuthin', lads - just take it". We forced £10 on to him in case we go there again. 

Andy
Would you be willing to share the whereabouts?   :scratch:

Steve  (in Warrington)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »
Would you be willing to share the whereabouts?   :scratch:

Steve  (in Warrington)

I can't, Steve, I'm afraid. I don't know its name. It was somewhere in the middle of an industrial estate, but I don't even know which estate. And because of nearby road works, my mate had to drive round a maze of roads to get us there. I've just looked at the BT listings for scrap metal and salvage in and around Liverpool, but nothing rings a bell. Sorry!
Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »
i guess im a luck guy  :) 

my dad and i have 3 locale scrap yards that we can go to and all the guys say is watch out for the cranes and trucks.
we just pick up what we need and they weight it and they tell us the price, if the price is say $43.50 they just say "give me $40.00"
we have found if you treat them right they will treat you right.

one of the yards is kinda small, the second yard is fairly big and the third yard is huge!!! when the third yard is busy it is not uncommon for them to move out 150 to 200 truck loads a day  :bugeye:

gee wizz.............all this talk about scrap.............i think i will have to leave work early tomorrow and go see what i can find   :lol: :lol: :lol:

chuck :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
Got two local - one big one where you need hard hat, safety boots, eye protection and air fed respirator before they let you in the gate. The other a one man band, gives fair price for scrap, lets you wander around and charges pennies (that dates me! perhaps I should say 'new pence')
No I'm not giving the location, it's MINE, I tell you, MINE
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.