Author Topic: General Shop Metalwork  (Read 3450 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
General Shop Metalwork
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:10:56 AM »
General Shop Metalwork
General Shop Metalwork
by A W Dragoo, Howard O Reed
McKnight & McKnight Publishers
softcover book
copyright©1936,1947
multiple editions

Another of the old school,shop unit type work work books. the book is set up in the unit style of:

* Sheet Metal Work
    * Ornamental or Band steel work
    * Bench Metal Work
    * Casting
    * Art Metal Work,Tooling and Stippling
    * Reference list,Appendixes Metal shop equipment and supplies,Tap drill sizes,sheet metal info,index

The first section of each part is the projects, a total of 29. Each is designed to teach part of the unit it is in, seaming sheet metal,soldering,or forming a wire edge by hand.

From how to clean black iron with Sulphuric Acid (this was a middle school or junior high text book). To turning on and using oxy/acetylene rig and an arc welder.

To how iron ore is changed into metallic iron,how pig iron is changed into steel. The effects of heat treating, and how to simple case hardening. To casting simple objects.

B&W photo's, drawings,charts and diagrams. Along with shop drawings of the projects. it covers the proper way to use hand tools along with the care of them. And gives a great glimpse of the good old days in a school shop, when they were training kids to go out into the work force. Before high school to earn a living. Since most jobs in the service/repair sector required a lot of making parts and or repairing them.

It is a way it was type of book in addition to the information that it contains.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen