Author Topic: Etching,spinning,raising,tooling Metal  (Read 3848 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Etching,spinning,raising,tooling Metal
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »

Etching,spinning,raising,tooling Metal
by Robert E Smith
McKnight & McKnight Publishing
Copyright ©1951
revised edition

Another of the soft cover text books from shop classes, of the forties,fifties and through the sixties. Keep and used so long, because of information on all the subject matter covered. Filled with b&W photo's charts, and drawings, along with shop drawings of a number of projects.

It is divided into 31 units covering each subjects, so in addition to the basics enough information is covered. To give a good working knowledge of the subject.

Starting with safety,and commonly used metals. It moves into the jeweler's saws and files. Since it starts with piercing of metal. And moves to overlay and tooling of metal foil type.

It then covers chasing and engraving tools, hammers and stakes, along with other tools used in the forming and raising on metals. Chasing a simple design,engraving,doming,using a form to shape metal,Raise and planish,flute.

It then coves aluminum, pewter and silver as the aluminum was still a new and exotic material, pewter was on the way out as a daily use. And silver was a metal not used in the general shop classes.

Moving on to spinning tools and apparatus, making chucks for spinning,
how to spin metal, and how to fit and attach appendages to spun shapes.

Then it covers finishing,oxidizing copper,brass and iron. Etching copper,brass,bronze and aluminum. Cleaning metals by immersing in salt or acid paste or dipping in an acid bath.

Simple battery electroplating,prepping the electrolyte for copper. Simple electroforming objects.

Abrasives used in polishing metals. Finishing aluminum,and finishing metal with aluminum paint.

Why would there be a chapter on aluminum paint, At one time it was thought that it was the metal protective coating of the future. It was also something that you had to mix up for your self. You used aluminum Bronzing powder and you favorite vehicle to make the paint. I have a can of the aluminum powder from the late 40's and 50's in the shop. Will have to take a picture of it.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Etching,spinning,raising,tooling Metal
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Do have a copy of this book? 

I would like to see the sections on Spinning in particular, but the book looks worth a general read through.

Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Etching,spinning,raising,tooling Metal
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »
I only list books that I have read and I own. It is a basic shop book that was used in grades 5th through 9th from the 50's  till they shut down most school shops, as to dangerous for the lil' children.

The Metal spinning tools and apparatus is two and 1/2 pages on the tool rest,tailstock center,face plate and wooden and metal spinning tools.

The unit on making chucks for spinning. Solid, collapsible and breakdown is 3 1/4 pages long.

The actual section on spinning is 5 1/2 pages long. It is basic in its nature and coverage. ;D
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen