Author Topic: Steam Boat Pics  (Read 12826 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Steam Boat Pics
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
As I mentioned in the "projects" section when Don asked how I was doing on my rescue boat that my dad had passed on. Well he was into airplanes big time but as his age advanced he needed to get into a slower hobby. He had always liked steam engines and that of course lead to steam powered boats. As far as I can remember he built at least three. it may have been more. Anyway to make long story short, I'm starting to go through some of his machine shop things and I found a picture of one of his steam launches. Right now it sits on a shelf with a second one he finished. He also traveled a bit and went to boat gatherings. Below is a pic I found of a kit built "Alexandria". This boat is going to be taken up to the river cottage next year. We are located approximatly 4 to 5 miles north east of Alexandria Bay, New York. What I want to do next year is bring steam back to the River only in model form. So this coming winter will be spent learning to fire this boat for a maiden voyage in my dad's honor.

Below is a picture of the launch he took in his back yard:

Now in his travels to go to the boat meets he also liked to take pictures. The two pictures below is of an airboat:

Can you guess what's powering it?

Yup, it's a steam engine. I've thought about building something like this eventually.

When and if I come across more such interesting pictures I'll post them here in this thread.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Steam Boat Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
Bernd

Those are some great boats. Was the air boat your dads as well? That will be nice to run the Alexandria in Alexandria Bay in his honour. Just be sure that you have your rescue boat finished and on hand in case it is needed. Thanks for showing us those pictures.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »
Thanks Don.

No the, the airboat is not his, Unfortunatley the pictures are not marked as to where, when and who. I believe though that it might be in New Jersey. As he spoke of going there a couple of times for the meet.

Ah yes the rescue boat. I do have a cure this year for going after dead boats in the water. The wife's jetski.  :ddb:

Here are a few more pics I forgot to processes and upload.

Marine steam engine.

Fantail (?) launch

This could be it's engine.

The steam tug "Wymoth" (sp?). I have the plans for this one. It's huge.

A couple of engines. One is a twin steam. The other looks like a two cylinder IC engine.

Here's an interesting launch. Notice the small cannon up front?

This one looks like a cabin crusier.

Collection of four boats on display.

And onthoer three on display.

As I said if and when I find more I'll post.

My next "job" is to move dad's Grizzly mill/drill and associated tooling, plus his, I believe South Bend lathe, into my basememnt. They are already showing signs of surface rust since he hadn't used them in about a year. I've already moved a large amount of raw stock. Guess I'll need to make some time to build stuff with all I've collected.

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »
Hiya Bernd  :wave:

Nice boats. Running them in your dad's honor is very nice. They deserve to be run.

I do like that steam powered airboat.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Bernd: Some mighty fine boats you have there. What´s the story about Alexandria flying the French flag?
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Bernd: Some mighty fine boats you have there. What´s the story about Alexandria flying the French flag?

Ya got me. I didn't even pay attention to who the flag belonged to. Perhaps it came with the kit. I really don't know.

And thanks for the kind comments. Unfortunatley they are not all mine. I can only lay claim to the Alexandria.

Eric,

Thanks. He wanted so bad to come up to the cottage and run them on the river. My mother didn't like traveling that far. I figure since they are mine now I just have to run them up there. But first I have to see if he left the radio gear in them.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
As I said I'd add more pics when and if I found them. Have a few more and I believe I found the area were the previous pictures were taken.

First the location. I have found a letter to dad about an informal group that started up in eastern PA/western N.J. around 1998. One group was/is the "Valley Forge Model Ship Soc. Inc. and the other was/is South Orange Seaport Society had meets that were held in either Gotwalls Pond in Kimberton, Pennsylvania or Meadowlands Park, Mead Lake, South Orange, New Jersey. So those pics above were raken in one of those two locations.

Now for the pics.

First is the Alexandria again.

Bow veiw.

Top veiw of engine, boiler and fuel tank.

Three quarter front view.

This is the other steam launch that he had finished.

The boiler from the Alexandria showing how he made the burnner. It's fuel is propane.

The burnner attached to the boiler.

Another boiler for another steam launch.

I believe this was the original power plant in the first launch he built, The Kristina.
Which I know there's pictures of. I just haven't found them yet. I think they may be
on slides.

Three sets of Elmer Verburg's Reversible Vertical Twin Wobblers #52. Dad built them 50% smaller because they would then be the right size for boats. Plus they had less power and needed less steam.

Well that's it for now, at least untill I find more.

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
Bernd

Those are great pictures and I can imagine the trip down memory lane that is taking place as you go about sorting thing out to do what ever must be done. My sister and myself had to do the same thing several years ago when mother passed on. We both had a lot of reminders of life back to before we were able to remember and even to mothers life as a little girl.

If you find any pictures on slides they can be scanned as well as you probably know. Sometimes you are better off scanning the negative or slide rather than the picture as it may well be of a better quality.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures Bernd, they really are nice.  :ddb: :ddb:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »
Heh. The Alexandria is flying the French flag, but she is registered in Emden, which is in Germany...   :scratch:
(Of course, it could be also the flag of  the Netherlands - but then it´s upside down...)   :doh:
And of course, there might be many Emdens in the U.S. of A. as well...
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »
Heh. The Alexandria is flying the French flag, but she is registered in Emden, which is in Germany...   :scratch:
(Of course, it could be also the flag of  the Netherlands - but then it´s upside down...)   :doh:
And of course, there might be many Emdens in the U.S. of A. as well...
 :wave:

Sacré bleu! The stripes on the French flag run vertically. More likely to be the Netherlands, as you say,  or perhaps Luxembourg, depending on the shade of blue. But in either case, it would only be correct if the boat capsizes. And I don't think Luxembourg boasts many lakes big enough for the full size version.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures Bernd, they really are nice.  :ddb: :ddb:

Don

Thanks Don. I know I like looking a pictures of others works, so as far as time is concerned it's no biggy. It's just great being able to share the pics with others.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
It looks like I better take those flags off and put US flags on them for all the fuss it's causing.  :lol:  :lol:

I don't know were they came from so I can't even say. That part that's supposed to be white is how the camera is making it look. It actually looks a bit dingy, more of a slight yellow tint to it.

Ok, I'll ask a question here. What flag should those boats be flying?    :scratch:   :med:   :coffee:

Bernd

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
Hi Bernd

Wow  :bugeye: your dad made a cracking job of the engines , boiler and launch  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:  Thanks for showing  :thumbup:

Regards Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »
Thanks Rob.

He did spend alot of time in the shop once he was retired, at least according to his wife (my mother)  :lol:

Bernd

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
Hi Bernd

I hope you get some  time to do a bit video ,, would be great to see it on the water all steamed up  :D

Regards Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi Bernd

I hope you get some  time to do a bit video ,, would be great to see it on the water all steamed up  :D

Regards Rob

I'm hoping I can do that next summer. I need to find the RC controls for it and see if they work. Then I need to learn how to fill that fuel tank with propane. Dad filled his own using a 20 pound tank and letting it drain into a refill bottle that he used to then fill the boat fuel tank.

VIDEO's   :scratch:  But of course I'll take video's as soon as I learn how on the wifes 35mm digital.  :lol:   :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Bernd