Author Topic: Darren  (Read 23565 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Darren
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 04:26:46 AM »
Hi Eric, I would like to know how you get on with fitting and setting up.  :thumbup:

It seems a lot go for the meggasquirt/volt these days and I don't read any problems from anywhere. So they must be pretty reliable and easy to get going.

Good luck with it  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »
TBH despite the work, which hasn't taken long anyway, I had two choices.

Buy this car back for the engine as I'd already spent loads on it and done little mileage since.
Or buy another Astra with a view to doing the engine again and still find rot when the carpets etc were lifted. Also I know my old car inside out and it helps that the last owner did zero mileage in it since he bought it from me eight years ago. ...........

In the third photograph http://tiny.cc/dcfea  is that an early Recaro? or a custom lightweight front passenger seat? :coffee:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
Don't be silly, it's a Panton ....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »
Looking good there chief  :thumbup:

looks like paint codes are a bit of a nightmare then?

New ECUs and bigger better fuel supplies.... Gonna cost the bucks! But fun though  :ddb:  (you'll probably not be happy with one till you've tried the other anyway.... Well that's how a lot of the lads I know are  ::)   :lol:   )

Nice bulk head bracing (hope all the bits miss it!?) Can't see it moving in a hurry.

I'll check in on it again in a while, let you get a bit done first  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
Lookin good Darren  :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  ,,,,,,,, looks like it will be on the road soon

Rob

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
Thanks Rob, it's coming along. I do wish it would stop raining though as I want to put it outside to clean up the underside  :bang:

Eric, I can't get over how cheap Mega stuff is over there, it seems to be less than half what I can find here? If someone knows of a good outlet in the UK please let me know as all I seem to find is Ebay sellers.

There's much reading to do ....  :smart:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »
The more I read about the Mega stuff the more appealing it gets, also it's looking less complicated as the terms used become more familiar.

Has anyone here used this stuff?

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »
I hear Toyotas need a long runway?  :lol:
"The car in front is a Toyota"

..because the throttle's stuck open and the brakes have failed...  :lol:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
Darren, you might want to check out the FAQ section of Miataturbo.net.  It's a community of DIYers, obviously for the Miata, but Megasquirt, E-manage, Hydra and other ECU's have their own subsections.  I'm going with the Megasquirt PnP this fall; it was part of the package deal I got on the SC. 

Tons of knowledge there, and it's a great source if you've done your homework and are still confused.  Be warned, however.  They don't tolerate laziness, and if you haven't read and searched, they'll tear you up.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »
Thanks, I've pretty much got my head around how it all works .... the practice is another matter.

Still putting the car back together, coming along well now and shouldn't be too long ...

Jump to here for the latest  :)
http://tinyurl.com/3432qrd
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:27:29 AM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
A little machining done today ...  :dremel:

I had to make a fixture to do a job, it's rough and ready unlike most of the work we see here  :clap: So my apologies chaps ...  :)

Picked up My new wheels yesterday, After the guy had messed me about with collection a few times it was disappointing to find that they were not in the best of condition.

But they were cheap so they followed me home.

At first it looked like they had been badly curbed, but now I'm certain some monkey had literally hammered them off the hubs looking at the marks.

So now I had some rough looking wheels I had to have a think about what could be done.

So here goes ....

Taking an old brake disk the centre was lathed thus

Now a second brake disk could be truly centred onto the first disk

The second disk which had the 100mm PCD required to fit the Vauxhall wheels needed a thread to mount the wheel to. So used some bolts to secure a couple of nuts whilst they were welded into place.

The first disk was set up and bolted down to my rotary table.

The second disk was clamped on top, drilled through both disks and threaded the lower disk. Now they can be securely clamped together.

Now I have something secure to bolt the wheels to that rotates.

And the machining commences.... a few pic's

Well that's two done, two to go.
Surprisingly little metal was removed considering how bad the marks looked. I now would not hesitated to do this again.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

That's absolute magic Darren!  :bugeye:

I wouldn't have thought of doing THAT!  :scratch:

Do you do Toyota wheels?  :lol:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
Great idea that Darren,  well done  :clap: look 1,000,000 times better!

Nick

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 06:35:59 AM »
My Australian friend, who spent a few years over here and used to drive lorries for the same company, and I had an argument while we were waiting for our paperwork after collecting loads at the Ford Works at Cologne, the European distribution centre for Ford parts.

I said Ford stands for 'Fix Or Repair Daily', he argued that it stands for 'Found On Rubbish Dump'. :lol:

The Managing Director of Ford Europe was standing behind us...he was not amused!!!!! :poke:#

We were also both driving Iveco Eurotech which we used to call Plastic Pigs. I told the MD that to his face and related how much repair work I had to do in order to be able to get home every trip (anywhere between England and Africa/Russia). He smiled ruefully and said that heavy vehicles were a different department. :lol:

Sorry  :offtopic:

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border