Author Topic: Howdy from North Carolina, USA  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Tinkering_Guy

Howdy from North Carolina, USA
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
Howdy, all!

I'm currently located in North Raleigh, North Carolina.  I've always been interested in machining, and a few years ago I picked up a UNIMAT (not the classic old-time one) from ThinkGeek.  After several months, a surprise royalty let me move up to a Cummins 5278 mini-lathe and a Harbor Freight 44991 mini-mill, and some tooling for same.  (I'm going to sell all the UNIMAT stuff at some point, if anyone wants a starter set for some child or something.)

I've made a few mods to the mill and lathe, but I have lots more projects on the list.  About the only non-mod or tooling thing I've made so far has been some tiny dice made from meteoric nickel-iron:

I have lots more on my project list, but right now I'm a little handicapped by having piles of stuff in front on the machines -- and finding a local source of scrap steel and aluminum.

However, that's not keeping me from designing things and noodling around on boards and groups like this one.  :wave:
Tinkering_Guy
Hobbyist machinist, electron-pusher, software dude, and experimental chemist

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Howdy from North Carolina, USA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
Tinkering_Guy

Well Tinkering_Guy, you have thrown the dice and taken the gamble. Sounds like with your lathe and mill you will have quite a variety of options open to you when trying to decide which project to undertake. If you have any questions don't be scared to ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. You have started off well with that picture of that nice dice that you have made from meteoric nickel-iron as everybody here loves pictures. We look forward to your participation in the MadModder Forum.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:48:05 PM »
Welcome to the collective Tinkering_Guy.  :borg:

You'll fit right in with those neat little projects like that die you made and from exotic metal no less.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
Hi there  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Those dice are right up my alley. Gotta say I like em. More pictures please :) along with a good description of what you did. Sounds like you got a good start with your tools!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.