Author Topic: pipe bender  (Read 4020 times)

Offline ieezitin

pipe bender
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
Hi lads.

In the attachment is a little sketch of a piece of hand rail I need to make. Its sch 10 2 inch stainless.

I don’t have a tubing bender so I want to make a jig to bend the pipe.

I tell you my idea to see if I am on the right track, if not please give your opinions and ideas sketches would be nice as I am getting retarded lately and really pictures work for this poor old pipe welder.

I was going to weld little nipples on a flat piece of plate as the radius dies, then get a porta-power (hydraulic ram) lay it on its side and push the pipe around the nipples.

If the nipples did not work I can machine a die as I have a lathe or go to the scrappie and see what’s laying around in the form of old rail rollers etc.

I really want a nice bend don’t want little ripples or nasty stretch marks left on the pipe.

I really just want a bending jig for pipe and it would be nice if in the design I could bend larger or smaller pipe, don’t want to spend hard earned cash on a bender. Im cheap that’s how I roll.

Thanks in advance.              Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: pipe bender
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
ieezitin

Take the pipe and drawing to a muffler shop and they have all the equipment to bend it up for you in short order. It's not worth the aggravation to do it yourself unless you want to be able to say that "I bent that myself". Take a box of donuts along and show up about coffee time and you will be their best buddy and they won't have the heart to charge you very much. Let us know how it works out.   :D :D

Cheers   :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline ieezitin

Re: pipe bender
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
Don.

I think that’s a first class idea. So obvious now you mentioned it.   :thumbup:

Thank you.               Anthony.