Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Billyg

New Guy
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
Hi all my name is Billy
I live in Scotland have wanted to own a lathe for over 35 years and decided it was time to do it so i bought one just one of those from china and it does me I still have a lot to learn  but this forum is great for that having spent many a night reading on it I thought it was time to register.  I have also just bought a sieg sx2 mill but must still set it up so hoping to do that this weekend if time permits and then it,s back to reading again anyway that's me for now.  Billy.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
Hi Billy!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have both those tools. With some tuning and mods, they have served me well. What do you like? or what is it you want to make? Scotland eh? One day I will get to visit there. My dads side of the family is Scottish.

BTW... curious, how did you find the site?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Billyg

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Hi Eric
 Thanks for the welcome.
 I don't no about the x2 yet but i have started on the lathe just playing with it at the moment stripped it to clean and adjusted as much as i could but having read on the forums i still have more to do but i wanted to use it for a while. As for hobbies i race 10th scale touring car and have a couple of bits i want to make for but i would like to make tools for the lathe such as a ball turning attachment  but i am still collecting tools at the moment.
As for finding the site i was looking for info on the web and came across madmodders and found myself sitting here all night reading some great posts and thought lets stay.
 Billy

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
Hi Billy

Welcome to MadModder Billy. We are glad that you have liked what you saw and joined up. If you have any questions just ask, there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. There are a few on here that do some RC cars, trucks, boats and aircraft so you should feel right at home. We look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future as you settle into some interesting projects. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
Welcome to the collective Billy.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Billyg

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
Hi Billy

Welcome to MadModder Billy. We are glad that you have liked what you saw and joined up. If you have any questions just ask, there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. There are a few on here that do some RC cars, trucks, boats and aircraft so you should feel right at home. We look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future as you settle into some interesting projects. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Hi Don Thanks for that I do have a few questions but I will look to see if they have been answered somewhere else on the site first and if not there I will ask. Just have to get used to using my lathe and mill then hopefully get some projects going and put up some pictures.
  Cheers. Billy

Offline Billyg

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Welcome to the collective Billy.  :borg:

Bernd
Hi Bernd Thanks for that.
Billy

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
Hi Billy!

Welcome to the Collective.  :wave:

We`re a mixed bunch here, but, usually someone knows something to help........ Or knows a man as can!  :thumbup:

Ask your questions. Show pics of what you do, (we like pics). Join in the discussions. We`re quite gentle, usually!  :D

Above all..... Enjoy!

Incidentally, I have Chester`s mini mill and 7 x 12 lathe...... Love `em!

David D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:34:34 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
Welcome   ive always wanted to go to Scotland sence i was a small boy still have not made it there.
anywho   welcome  :mmr: 

Offline Billyg

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »
Hi Billy!

Welcome to the Collective.  :wave:

We`re a mixed bunch here, but, usually someone knows something to help........ Or knows a man as can!  :thumbup:

Ask your questions. Show pics of what you do, (we like pics). Join in the discussions. We`re quite gentle, usually!  :D

Above all..... Enjoy!

Incidentally, I have Chester`s mini mill and 7 x 12 lathe...... Love `em!

David D

Hi David thanks for that it is great to be on such a welcoming site. :clap: Questions will follow but at the moment I get most of them answered on other posts it's amazing the stuff you can find on this site.

As for pics I will get round to them as soon as I get my small workshop up and running. Small changes after getting my mill mean everything had to get moved around

Is you're chester the same as the X2 and witch 7 x 12 do you have Igot a Amadeal 7 x 14 and like you I think it's great.

Billy

Offline Billyg

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
Welcome   ive always wanted to go to Scotland sence i was a small boy still have not made it there.
anywho   welcome  :mmr: 

Hi crabsign69
Thanks for the welcome As for Scotland great country apart fro the weather but well worth a visit
Billy