Author Topic: MINI LATHE ELECTRICAL CONTROL BOX  (Read 6331 times)

Offline reel jon

MINI LATHE ELECTRICAL CONTROL BOX
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »
I have had the CLARKE version of the SIEG mini lathe for a couple of years now and about a month ago the control board blew, common fault i am told  :( Machine mart service were about as much use as a one legged man at an @rs3 kicking contest, so i decided to go to RS components as they are only a short drive away, RESULT some proper tech help and a control unit that is built to last, i have has it wired up by an electrical engineer and it is spot on, its twice the price of the Clarke replacement but i figure if i never have to replace it again against a 2 year life span for the Chinese version its money well spent, i hope this info is of value to some one, here is a link to the part.
I did not bother to have it wired to run backwards as i have never used that function for anything important, i assume it is possible to do??????
Heres a link to the new part
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=4191425&x=17&y=15#header
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:10:59 PM by reel jon »

Offline John Swift

Re: MINI LATHE ELECTRICAL CONTROL BOX
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »
Hi Reel Jon ,

I have traced the circuit for an old FC250J controller used on the
CL300M minilathe
my circuit is in two parts as the two ic's are on a small pcb
new controllers have virtually the same circuit , but on one pcb ,using surface mount components .

In the past I have had thyristors used in industrial machines fuse faster than
the expensive fuses thats supposed to protect them  !!!

Have a look at my reply in   Electronics & ic programing - getting started with electronics
I have posted the circuit and a simple way of testing the board

JohnSwift
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:50:27 AM by John Swift »

Offline John Swift

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
just had a look at the R.S. speed control ,It look's like a good choice

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
It looks a nicely built unit, but at that price, it should be!

I fitted a DC motor to my Dore Westbury mill/drill, and got a KB Electronics Board to run it - about £73 from STM in Winsford. I had to box it up, and concoct a no-volt safety switch for it, but that's only a 10A mains relay with a mains coil and red and green pushbutton switches.

Andy 
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline reel jon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »
It is very solid and weighs a ton, at the moment it is just sat beside the gears end of the lathe and i find it easier to use than the previous set up. MACHINE MART DID NOT FILL ME WITH CONFIDENCE. Its a wad of money but hopefully it will never need replacing.