Author Topic: NIOSH Pocket Guide Chemical Hazards  (Read 3370 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
NIOSH Pocket Guide Chemical Hazards
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:11:28 AM »

NIOSH Pocket Guide Chemical Hazards
US Dept of Health and Human Services
edition1987, Publication 85-114

There is no copyright or ISBN# as most of the governments publications can be reprinted in whole or part with out royalties.

It covers a first responder guide to dealing with hazardous chemicals. It has tables with the information on the headings in the chart pages. Such as for First Aid ,Symptoms,Personal Protection and Sanitation. Respirator selection Upper Limit Devices that are recommended.

It also lists:

* Chemical Names,Formula,DOT,CAS,RTECS,UN Guide numbers
    * Synonyms
    * Exposure Limits,
    * IDHL Level
    * Physical Description
    * Chemical and Physical Properties
    * Incompatibilities
    * Measurement Method
    * Personal Protection and Sanitation
    * Respirator Selection Upper Limit Devices recommend
      Health Hazards and related information are grouped together.
    * Route of contact, Inhalation,Absorption(skin),Ingestion and Contact (skin and eyes)
    * Symptoms
    * First Aid
    * Target Organs

As with most things on the net, This complete guide is on it and downloadable. At here http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/FWS_OSCP_05/fwscontingencyappendices/V-SAFETYPLANS/NIOSHPocketGuide/NPG_only/pgdstart.htm

Or you can get the latest edition with or with out CD-Rom At here http://www.ntis.gov/products/nioshguide.aspx

One good idea is to have the pages in a hard copy form in your shop in a folder. Clearly marked and in a place where everybody knows, were they are. If there is a problem they don't have to hunt up the addy in the book marks on the computer, as somebody is floppy around in distress. It is also a good idea to have an inventory of chemicals and other hazardous materials in the folder too. So the first responders have a head start, if there is need for them at your shop.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen