Author Topic: Tandem Compound Poppet Valve Steam Engine Build, ala Cedge  (Read 43714 times)

Offline shoey51

Re: Tandem Compound Poppet Valve Steam Engine Build, ala Cedge
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
I think I now know what your building

:nrocks:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
I think I now know what your building
 :nrocks:

That`s clever Graham!  :clap:

BUT! Does Steve know what he`s building?  :lol: :lol:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »
Shoey.... Your dead spot on, but then I've also had moments where David was equally right. I recently learned these engines are also known as "double beat" and "Drop Valve" engines, which expanded the available knowledge base by several levels of magnitude.

I've spent the past 2 weeks adjusting to a newly diagnosed medical problem....type II Diabetes, so I'm afraid I've been a wee bit distracted.  The nice part of the distraction is that I've had a tremendous increase in energy, which I've invested in a few of the more labor intensive projects that I've  previously had to ignore. My old 1978 CJ5 Jeep is shining like a new dime and it's running again. All I've got to do now is get it to the local mechanic for some drive train work.

I hope to jump right back on the engines now that I've had a short discussion with someone who has built a similar project. He quickly helped me wrap my head around a couple of things I was struggling to sort out. 10 minutes of conversation probably saved me a weeks worth of trial and error. More to come... just be patient with me for a few more days....(grin)

Steve
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:47:21 PM by cedge »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about the diagnoses Steve. Make sure you keep an eye on it.

Take your time. Get to the build when you can. We will all be here.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

lordedmond

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:35 AM »

I've spent the past 2 weeks adjusting to a newly diagnosed medical problem....type II Diabetes, so I'm afraid I've been a wee bit distracted.  

Steve

keep a eye on your toe's and lamps ( eyes) with Type II

Stuart

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
Like everybody else, am in awe.  :bow: The method and result for that trunk cross head guide blew me away.

Amazing work Steve :clap: thanks for sharing    :thumbup:

Nick

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
To Shoey51, I had some rough idea of what the original full sized ones looked like, but really appreciate the picture.  To Steve, I am sorry for your newly diagnosed condition, I hope you get a good solid handle on it, and it doesn't take you away from the shop too much.  Your version is certainly going to be a brighter and shiny than the originals I expect, but I put that down to who's building it. :jaw: :jaw: :bugeye: mad jack

MrFluffy

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2010, 06:00:48 PM »
I was just wandering through this thread in awe at the workmanship going on, and then I come to this page and can actually add a little.
The diabetes wont beat you, it just means a few changes, and to let the docs prod you a bit more often and to make some dietary changes that really we should all have made anyway if we didnt have the bandaid of a working pancreas to hide the habits.
Im 10 years down that road that the docs know about, although I had some of the symptoms since my early 20's but nobody thought to check me for it back then so who knows, and I havent hit 40 yet. Yes there are some days I screw up and pay the price and there's the not mentioned very often by the medical profession mood swings when your out of kilter, but its just something we have to get along with, and to learn to watch ourselves doing it so we dont take it out on others needlessly. But theres other days when I can still do things like I was 18 still, and pretty much all my non diabetic friends struggle to keep up with me be it with a shovel, late into the night partying or whatever.
Keep making those special eye exam appointments and keep taking care of your feet, its the extremities it messes with. And keep building those lovely engines, best therapy you can get ;)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
MrFluffy...
Thank you for your supportive post. So far the transition has been an easy one. We already cooked what amounted to diabetic meals and since I've lost about 50 pounds, smaller portions are pretty much already part of my eating routine. Once I  discovered that the major candy companies make sugar free versions of quite a range of their name branded products, my sweet tooth isn't complaining. Surprisingly, no one who has tried my candy stash can tell it's sugar free. It really is that good.

My numbers have fallen to a range that is pleasing the medicos and I've got energy I've not had in quitea long time. In fact, this thread has suffered due to that. In the past two weeks, I've been out and at it by 6:30 or 7:00 catching up on honey do projects that had piled up on me. I've wet sanded, compounded and hand waxed my old Jeep. I just rewired the exterior lights on it today.

I've pressure washed every bit of concrete on my property, including a large parking area, sidewalks, front curb and the long series steps going to the lower level. Then I emptied my shop area and cleaned the floors there too. Anyone who's been in my shop will tell you that was no minor undertaking....LOL.  I never figured I'd be doing 16-18 hour days again, but that is the schedule I've been keeping since the sugar levels dropped. The wife wants to know who I am and where I stashed the old guy she'd been sleeping with. She says it's only for idle curiosity because she doesn't really want him back.

Since my wife also works for my primary care physician, the chances of me slacking off on eye and foot checks are rather low. He's a personal friend, as well as my doctor, so he gets away with giving me grief a lot more than I'd let the typical medico.

I did manage to slow down and spend a few minutes in the shop today and began testing my ideas for the valve assemblies. If it cools a bit, I might even get back in there over the weekend and then maybe we can get this thread moving again. This project has not been abandoned, but it did have to go off the top of the list for a short period of time. My apologies to those who have been following my lack of progress. I'll try to do better soon.

Again..... thanks for the supportive nature of your comments.

Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2010, 02:01:22 AM »
Thanks for the post Steve!  :wave:

Two weeks, and no word from you, is just a little unsettling.

Thankfully, I don`t understand wot yer got...... It is/ is not a serious problem, depending on who is telling.

It`s nice to hear you`re "ok", and all is in hand!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »
Good to hear your on top of that problem and doing better.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2010, 11:16:02 PM »
Gentlemen
It is with great consternation that I post this. This thread is being put on hold for the time being. A series of health issues have sort of cascaded on me since early June, taking me out of the shop for safety reasons. None of the issues are life threatening but it does require me to take medication that makes it too dangerous to operate the machines. A fuzzy head and spinning devices are simply incompatible here.

I've got high hopes that things will soon be under control and that I can jump back on the project before cold weather arrives again. Thanks for the wonderful support everyone has shown and please accept my apologies for the unavoidable delay. We'll get her done, but only when it can be fun and safe again.

Steve

Offline shoey51

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2010, 03:08:29 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Steve I can only wish that you get well very soon.

Graham

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2010, 04:18:27 AM »
So very sorry to hear that Steve!

But, your health & safety are paramount.

Sincerest wishes for your full recovery...... Soon!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear that, Steve, I know what it's like, having gone through similar times with changes in my medication for my Multiple Sclerosis, and having to alter my lifestyle here and there.  I wish you luck and wisdom and hope you are able to get back in the shop seriously soon.  We can't let this end this thread, someone may have to machine your parts, while you hand finish them with your inimatable style.  I hope you're back on the thread soon. mad jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
Sorry to hear your not not back up to par yet. Take your time the thread can wait your health can't.

Take care and hope to see back at it soon.

Madjack,my wife's got MS. Controlled with copaxne. I get to poke her with a needle every night. Not much joy in that.

Bernd

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
 :whip:  :worthless:

Nuff Said?

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Tim....
You really want a photo of the specific offended area?.....Man, we REALLY need to have a long talk.....LOL

Steve

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »
Boy, Steve.. Some people are never satisfied, eh?
Email him a picture of your x-rays!

::)

Take care.  Get well soon!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
LOL, Steve, You have bragged about the zoom on that camera but no need to test the limits.  :)

I really hope to come over and play shop before the winter gets here. Unfortunately my garage door is about the only part of my shop I can still find.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:40 AM »
Sorry to hear your not not back up to par yet. Take your time the thread can wait your health can't.

Take care and hope to see back at it soon.

Madjack,my wife's got MS. Controlled with copaxne. I get to poke her with a needle every night. Not much joy in that.

Bernd

I'm sorry to hear that Bernd, I started on Beta Seron shots about sixteen years ago, changed to Avonex intra-muscular, once a week after about five years, and a steady accumulation of reactions, did that for about five years, and went on Copaxone, a real problem for someone who has no discernable boby fat, since it's a subcutaneous shot, meaning into the fat layer right under the skin, which I never had any of, and after about five years of that, couldn't stand the lumps of scar all over my belly, the only place I could do shots.  I was just going to go off them and let it go, but my doctor convinced me to try the Tysabre infusion.  It's done once a month via I.V., at the clinic, and it is riskier, however of all the therapies I've been on, it's the only one which did not, for all effects, give me a severe flu with each shot, and a severe skin reaction.  In fact, the day of my infusion, every four weeks, is the best day I will have for a couple weeks, and the last week before my infusion, I'm ready for it and looking forward to the "boost" it always gives me.  All you have to do is get over the fear of dying if the infusion happens to carry over a virus across the blood/brain barrier, which will kill you in a couple days.  This is also true of all the other therapies, just a lot more likely with the infusion, as it's so direct.
    My wife was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" some ten years ago or so, by a doctor who didn't know what she was doing, and didn't follow up on testing.  When we moved and she had to get a new doctor, she happened on a neurologist who insisted on taking MRIs to confirm diagnosis, and found she has M.S. as well.  She was on Copaxone for about eight months, but just could not bear the shots, as she's as lacking in subcutaneous fat as I am, and she has no place to inject into that is not scarred by previous shots, or by previous abdominal surgery.  She's afraid to try the infusion, the odds scare her, yet there is no other choice at this point, so she is doing without an active therapy for the present.  She is still progressing more slowly than I am, so maybe she'll get to try the oral therapy when it arrives.  I hope your wife is doing well with the Copaxone, in my experience, it was the least of the counter reactions by my immune system, with the exception of the infusion.  Funny, I never really heard of M.S. except in passing, and in no detail until I got it, and now everyone I meet knows someone with it, or is related to someone on therapy for it.  I hope you and your wife cope well with it, and it doesn't interfere with life too much.  I wish I could say better. mad jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Not to hi jack Cedges thread. She's handling the Copaxane well. Been doing so for over 10 years. She's also waiting for the tablets.

Hey, we've learned to live with and are doing well.

Thanks,
Bernd