Author Topic: TV bracket...  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
TV bracket...
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
.... With a little difference.

Difference being it's for the back of a car  :thumbup:

Another request from a car club member.... "can you make me a bracket to hold this (6"TV) about here?"

Well, yes was the answer... What do you want it made from and to look like?  "I don't know.... That's why I asked you!"

So, here is what I came up with.

I sat in my 'shop and wondered about the hows and whats I could use and make to hold it where it was needed, then while searching through my metals draw I picked up an old twisted 3/8 drive 12" extension..... Oooo I thought.... This could work? He's a mechanic like me so I thought of gearing it towards that.... Extension bars looked like they would do the job. I ordered a set from e-blag for 4 notes and then just had to make something out of them. Then just make a tilting mechanism for the head.

A crap-o-cad or two later and I started making parts  :dremel:

I Ball cut into the fixed side of the pivot and drilled and tapped it for the top extension that has been milled to half thickness. I could have used a regular endmill or slot drill but i decided that this way would allow me to keep register with the centre of the cut for the drilling and threading part.

The end was shaped on the grinder to save a little set up time with the lathe. If it was on display I'd have used the radius turner. 

The moving side of the pivot is then drilled through and recessed for the pivot bolt, drilled just above that for the spring and ball bearing then milled flat on top, drilled and tapped m4 (try to ignore the off centre appearance, the whole part is 8mm over sized and will be turned true when bolted together)

The fixed side has the recesses made for the ball bearing to seat in when the head of the bracket is tilted.

An arbour is made to clamp the 2 parts together and it is turned spherical (cause I can)

A plate is made to fit the rear of the TV mounting and a connecting piece made to join it to the pivoting head.

A base plate is made up from the same ali plate used in the mounting above and the lower extension part bolted to it.

Now, stability being a major issue I decided it needed a way of well, erm, stabilising it.... "cross bracing with a spanner methinks!" This was the not so easy to make solution (mkIII)

I used a ball endmill to cut across the spanner neck. To thin and create a weaker point for the heat and a relief for the bend.

Note the big steel heat deflector behind the vice, stuff melts pretty easy in the presence of a big blue flame!

The bend joints were then silver soldered to add strength to the bend and then the heads were machined with a carbide endmill to get the required width between them. 112mm.

I have no pics of the failures, but you're welcome to see them it you like? just know that this was the only way to get a spanner to bend pretty accurately with propane and a vice!

The spanner was drilled and recessed through the centre to mount a female extension end to it using a m4 dome head screw. (no pic's of that one?)

The upright needed the male counterpart for the cross bracing so using a slot drill cut a countersink into the upright and silver soldered the male part to it... (sounds bad that!  :lol:  )

I also soldered the top part to the end as it was far too wobbly to control, as long as the lower joint could be separated that was fine.

Finally I polished it all up and sprayed the ali plates black.

Then finally fitted to the car.... Sorry for the wonky shots, it's hard to get photo's in a tight space.

Another happy ( I would say customer but that'd be a lie. At least he paid for the parts!) friend  :thumbup:

I know, loads of photo's.... But I gotta get the info across  :thumbup:

Well that's the last few weeks done, on holiday soon  :D  (vacation for some of you guys) so will be a little quiet. But that's not till Wednesday  ::)

I'd forgotten how time consuming this posting business is  :bugeye:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
Re: TV bracket...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
Wow that truly is a work of art functional and good looking  :thumbup:
And that ball reminds me I need to make a ball turner.
Jason

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
 :jaw:

Wow. Very cool and ingenious use of materials! Very nice work. Definitely mad...

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
Nice one Ralph. I love it when one thinks outside the box. Have a good holiday.  :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
Quality work, beautifully done, Ralph!  :clap:

Hope you have a great holiday.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
Truly a work of art!! Not to be overlooked is the fact that the mount can be removed and NO ONE would ever know that it had been there. Over the past 30 years I have mounted lots of Ham radio gear in and on various vehicles. The first thought was always "How can I do this without leaving evidence once it is removed".

Joe

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »
Thank you gents, much appreciated  :beer:

A few replies...

-Yes you must make a ball turner.... they are IMHO awesome!

- Correct! I is most certainly mad   :ddb:

- There is a box?

- Holiday.... Oh boy do I need it!

- Agreed, most important not to damage the classic car  :thumbup:

Sorry, too late for better structured answers  :)

Ralph.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:03:40 PM by Divided he ad »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »
A true artist Ralp.  :thumbup:

Great use of parts. A true  :proj:.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »
 :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: Stunning job Ralph    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
That is wicked! I need one in the back of my car for my daughter...... after returning from an hours drive from Manchester to York not half an hour ago with  :( all the way home, this should be next weeks project! Nice one Ralph!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
Bernd, I don't know about that?  But I'll agree I'm chuffed about the materials working out  :)

Rob, Fades in comparison to some other works going on at the moment though  :thumbup:

Chris, can't have the crying thing... :bang:  Get to work!  :whip:

Thank you all for the more than positive comments   :beer:

Ralph.