Author Topic: Idea for ball turner tool-bit holder  (Read 8119 times)

Offline winklmj

Idea for ball turner tool-bit holder
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
I've got everything done on my ball-turner except for the business end--the holder and bit.

I was thinking of using some drill-rod, old drill-bits, or some round tool-steel for the bits. Struggled with how to hold various sizes yet adjust for center-height w/o making a bunch of holders. Thought I'd drill an angled hole through the holder and clamp the bits with some grub or SHC screws. The angle would allow the height to be adjusted. Sharpening would be as simple as grinding a single angle on the end of the bit--kind of like a tangetial tool.

COC attached. What ye think?
Mike

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Idea for ball turner tool-bit holder
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
Not a bad idea there Wink. Give it a try and then report back to us on how it works.

But I do think your going to have a slight problem with that upper screw. I don't think you'll be able to produce one with that curve to it.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
The ability to adjust for height is unnecessary unless the turner is to be used on more than one lathe. You just need to make the tool holder so the cutting edge of the tool bit is exactly at the center height of the lathe. That dimension should never change.

Joe

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:29:37 AM »
That would work really well.  A simple piece of ali with a hole at 45 degrees (or same as the tool holder would make the perfect tool grinding jig)

It is important to be able to set tool height if you have a resharpenable tool tip as it would be slightly shorter every time.  The way mine is designed the easy way to sharpen it would make it useless as it lowers the cutting point.

Please try this and let us know how it works -I will definitly copy this ( I like working in HSS and resharpening a curved tool is still a problem)

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
I'm also watching this with interest as I was thinking of doing something similar but with square hss.
Looking at your drawing your tool seems to have a lot of overhang would that be a problem ?
Jason

Offline winklmj

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
I made a quick "prototype" out of aluminum. It works as designed but was designed poorly  :bang: The problem is that it works for cutting balls but not concaves--so I'd need another holder for that. The height adjustment part works fine. Pics after the batteries are charged up.
Mike

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
Wink, you might be interested in this ball turner, which is a modification of Steve Bedair's design. Again, a second toolholder would be needed for concave cuts, but the way the insert is positioned does allow cuts to be taken much further round the back of the ball:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/ball-turner.html

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Any pics yet Wink ?
 :worthless:
Jason

Offline winklmj

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »
Works ok. Needs a sharper bit.

I've made another "traditional" holder for a square 3/16" bit. It works but needs a bit of packing to get it on center.
Mike