Author Topic: Nickel plating, anyone had a go?  (Read 8128 times)

Offline yorkie_chris

Nickel plating, anyone had a go?
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »
Got some diving related stuff that could do with some corrosion proofing, has anyone had a go?

I know caswell plating do a kit but I thought to just try get some nickel sulphate and a nickel anode and see how it goes?

There's a guy on youtube seems to have had some reasonable results, but he says he's using nickel oxide, but I thought the oxide was black.

Offline Jonny

Re: Nickel plating, anyone had a go?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Just need a power supply and a container then, away you go.
Its supposed to be the easiest of coatings, the stuff i seen used at local chemical suppliers looked like meths.

If doing alloys you will need to copper plate first, itself as easy.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:44:38 AM »
Electroless Nickel plating is even easier - though I'm not sure how robust it would be by comparison with electroplating.

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
Sorry I'm late here, must have been out in the shop. (lol). Anyways, I used the electroless nickel plating kit from Caswell and I was very happy with the results. That being said, considering the cost of the kit and the time involved preparing and plating the parts, I probably would have been better off sending the parts out to be finished.

But, I have spare time and I love experimenting so it was definately worth while.