Author Topic: Cheap and easy powder coating  (Read 16570 times)

Offline David Morrow

Cheap and easy powder coating
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
I posted this on the Model Engine Machinist forum but for those of you who don't get over there, it may be of interest to you her as well ...

Normally, I don't apply colour to my projects but every now and then, I think a little colour would be nice. I do a bit of anodizing which provides a very nice finish. Lately I've been thinking about powder coating. One of the things that has kept me away from powder coating was the small size of my projects and the big messy setup to powder coat. I was doing a bit of Googling the other day and found a couple of interesting links. The first is a powder paint air brush ( I'm not sure how it differs from the air brushes that are used for paint.) and it uses very little air to move the powder. From what I can see, you just heat the object to be coated and then spray.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/tools/powder_paint_air_brush.htm

Here's another link, where they just heat and then dip the object in the powder and then bake. ( Glitter optional )  I see that they sell a clear PC which would be interesting to try to see how something like polished brass would retain its bright finish.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Powder-Coating-Jig-Heads

The powder is actually quite cheap and is easy to find. The first link above sells in small hobby sized containers; 50 grams cost $7 or $36 / pound. I'd go with the small containers.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Cheap and easy powder coating
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
Interesting. I have a cheapo powder gun and do quite a bit of powder coating. It is messy. I am going to build a better powder booth very soon.

Thanks for the links

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »
I finally bought an airbrush and some powder. I found a good Youtube video where a guy first heats his small parts with a heat gun, sprays on the powder, and then heats it again to melt the powder until it flows out. I've done some sample projects and am quite impressed. This method is best for relatively small parts.

Since the parts are small, I found that, if I'm really fussy about the finish, I can wet sand the parts with 600 grit paper and then polish them to a very nice finish.

This sample pendant is just over 1.5 inches in diameter.

Here's a Youtube video showing the heat gun technique but he doesn't use an airbrush - he uses a home made fluid bed. Lots of other Youtube vid's if you go looking

Offline Tony Wells

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:45:55 AM »
For slightly larger parts, Eastwood offers a few options in powder coating. It's a pretty basic process.

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html?srccode=ga200220&gclid=CI6XwoSC460CFUHktgodxFDWiQ
Resistance is NOT Futile,
it is Voltage Divided By Current!

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
Cool, I didn't realize powder coating was even an option without a big production line.

-Sparky

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
I also recently got into the PC process. Based on a post in a different forum, I found a Craftsman PC system on Amazon for $27 (free shipping) One beauty of this system is it requires NO air compressor and uses a built in "fan" to blow the powder. I also got a sampler pack of 6- 1/2# canisters of powder from Columbia Coatings for about $35.
Went to the local thrift store and found a toaster oven for $5 and I am in business. For a "spray booth" I simply set a cardboard box up on the table and shoot into it. Very little overspray so it ends up in the box. Cleanup is a breeze and the parts look good.
Art
Country Bubba

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
Here's one more I did today. I used transparent colours but I mixed them 50/50 with clear to make them even more transparent. Again, it's a little under 2 inches in diameter.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:23:51 AM »
Well I'll be hornswoggled!!! I am continually amazed at the things I learn from this forum.  :mmr:

Jim

Offline wongster

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
Nice... I wonder why they don't sell this in Singapore...  Are they toxic such that I'll have the stuff stuck at the custom?

Regards,
Wong

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:42 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested here is a oven build for powdercoating one designed to be dismantled when not in use.   
http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/

Offline MrSleepy

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
Here's one more I did today. I used transparent colours but I mixed them 50/50 with clear to make them even more transparent. Again, it's a little under 2 inches in diameter.

Thats somewhat of a revelation... I'd always assumed that powder coating was mono colored ,bland and industrial looking.

Rob