Author Topic: Off center turning  (Read 8924 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Off center turning
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
Has anyone done any? A fellow I went to school years ago made this. I really want to attempt it one day. Are there any more examples of this out there?

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Off center turning
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »
Made that on just a lathe?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »
Wes,

I would think that would be more of a faceplate job rather than four jaw work, purely because of the radius that would be required. But if you have a four jaw that is big enough??

If I was doing it, I would use a faceplate and a Keats angle plate, or the keats on the RT. That would allow me to make a lot of them with very little setup. Turn the large radii first on the end of a bar, then turn the base, before parting it off.

You could use a Rike vice instead of a Keats.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?view=classic&ProductID=2304

John
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:45:10 PM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Yep. The whole thing was made on the lathe. With a 4 jaw turned off center. I really want to make one just to see If I can. Maybe this winter?

That Keats angle plate would be handy. I might have to knock one together. Would make some things faster.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
I think Lautard has something similar to the Rike and Keats in one of his books.
Looking through those books always leads to distraction and one forgetting what you were originally looking for.

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
I remember turning a crank on a 4 jaw but nothing as complicated as that!  :bugeye: