Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 192975 times)

Offline BiggerHammer

Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
I have had a little experience with that type of thing at work. All I can say is that you did an outstanding job with the bends. The things I have worked with have not been for show so I did not have to take such care but I know enough to realize how good of job you have done. Definitely quality work there. Waiting for the video of you riding that thing.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
Awesome!!!!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »
Fabulous stuff Wes  :thumbup: :clap:  :bow:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
How cool are they!?  :clap: 

Definitely getting through the jobs  :dremel:

Very nice work Wes  :headbang:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
I'm really wanting to get this done so I've been plugging away at it. I've been trying to do something on it every day. I still have a lot  to get done.

Here is a video to keep me motivated.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2012, 02:20:21 AM »
Cracking job with the bars Wesley  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »
I love this thread :)

Nick

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
Legs over the handle bars.... REALLY!!!!!  :jaw:  That bloke's a nutta!!  :loco: 

Seriously, how fast was that moving?!

Wes,

on inspection of that film I'm thinking it's a good job you can make spares! That all looks a little tricky!

Possibly a good idea to wear a full American football (or just football to you guys) outfit for the training too? Long way down!  :bugeye:

So very looking forward to the training vid's you're going to have to make  :poke:   :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
You put your legs over the bars so your legs don't get caught/tangled up in the spokes/pedals. Its safer that way than trying to use the brakes and doing a header. Don't worry though. No hills around here that I'll be going down.

You can read the description at the bottom of this video. This is Joff Summerfield. He rode this bike around the world :headbang: There are a few more videos of him if you look around. He lives in London.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
Wes,

Enjoy all of your shows.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »

:bang: Does seem a long way to fall  :bang: So I can't see me riding one  :lol:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm headed out to the shop. I think I'm going to monkey around with the flat steering head pieces. I think they need a little lathe work. I never finished that part of the drawing but I think I can wing it.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline krv3000

« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
HI and wot a good job you are dowing the only thing is i wont a go on it  :) :)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
Does seem a long way to fall   So I can't see me riding one 

I thought the same thing. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Well I went out to my shop today and started. But the weather was sooooo nice I couldn't stand to be in the shop. I've been riding my mt.bike to work and back every day. Trying to get in shape to ride the Penny\o/ I have an old cruiser bike that I've been wanting to make into a weird street cruiser muscle bike thing like they had in the 70's. It mainly needed cleaned up and painted and serviced. A friend is building the wheels for it for me. It will have a Sturmy Archer 2 speed kickback rear hub. Today I stripped the paint off it. I'll order crank bearings and a new chain this week and it should be back on the road as soon as my wheels are done. I'll maybe post a quick picture then?

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline MadNick

« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2012, 08:37:19 AM »
Well I went out to my shop today and started. But the weather was sooooo nice I couldn't stand to be in the shop. I've been riding my mt.bike to work and back every day. Trying to get in shape to ride the Penny\o/ I have an old cruiser bike that I've been wanting to make into a weird street cruiser muscle bike thing like they had in the 70's. It mainly needed cleaned up and painted and serviced. A friend is building the wheels for it for me. It will have a Sturmy Archer 2 speed kickback rear hub. Today I stripped the paint off it. I'll order crank bearings and a new chain this week and it should be back on the road as soon as my wheels are done. I'll maybe post a quick picture then?

~Wes~

I like cruisers and am looking forward to seeing a photo of yours.

Ive got a Dyno Glide with 17" apehanger handlebars - I milled out an old BMX stem to take the larger 1" bar. Wherever I go it always gets looks. Hot off the press -

Also have another frame and front wheel, in the same style, havent decided what to do with it yet though.

Nick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »

Also have another frame and front wheel, in the same style, havent decided what to do with it yet though.

Nick

Start a build thread and throw a small engine (or electric if that does it for you) in it.   :ddb: :ddb:

That would be very cool...
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
More progress :headbang:

Trying to make the steering head more interesting too look at. I made a mandrel and thinned the plates I'm using for the steering head. I just thinned the sides though. The middle is still the original thickness.

Here are the final results.

Getting closer\o/ I'm running out of parts to work on:o)

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
I'm still poking away at this :poke:

Today I milled some locators on the steering head pieces that will later be welded together.

The handlebar lug got a flat also.

The pieces go together like a puzzle:o)

I'll be able to weld the pieces together now and keep them straight\o/

I'll try and get that done in the next couple days:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
I spent some of today finalizing the drawings for the forks. Both front and rear. I'll try and machine the fork ends tomorrow. I'm slowly running out of parts to make for this:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
Yesterday I worked on my drawings a little. Some of the pieces started in my head and I drew them up a little later on the computer, to figure out angles and hole locations. It's an odd way to go about it but its the way my brain works:o)

Earlier I had started on the rear fork crown. It needed the fork angles milled into it and some short pilots to locate the fork tubes while it's being brazed together. The angle ended up being 8% so I set my angle head with a level in it at 8% and clamped it in my milling machines vise.

I like pictures with chips in them:o) It seems like a lot of guys go to a lot of trouble to clean up everything before the picture is taken? This is machining and it is messy sometimes. At work running the bigger stuff chips go everywhere. Here are the holes to locate the fork tubes.

I then set the angle finder to 16% and leveled up the side I just milled. Flattened everything and poked a couple more holes in the end and this piece is done.

It might need a locator milled into the top so I can weld the frame stem in straight and centered?

Next, Fork ends\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »
Chips in the pictures are a good thing...

:nrocks:
Science is fun.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2012, 03:27:54 AM »
Swarf is good.......  :thumbup:

This whole project is awesome!  :bugeye:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
I found a piece of metal to make the fork ends out of. It was a scrap left over from the head pieces. I sawed out what I needed.

I then started squaring up my block.

Once the rough side was cleaned up I flipped it and milled it to length. This piece had a factory edge and it had too big of a radius for what I needed.

I then milled the ends square and cut it in half.

While the piece's were still big I decided to drill the holes I needed. This is the axle hole.

I then had to set the part up in an angle vise to mill the holes that the fork tubes fit into.

Here is where I'm at. I still need to whittle a bit more metal off the fork ends.

I'm pretty excited how these forks are looking. This whole project is a lot of fun for me to work on and think about. I've posted over a hundred pictures now and probably taken 400. Maybe I'll finish this thing after all:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
It looks very cool.

You better finish!

Eric
Science is fun.