Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 191102 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
Doing the second side of the hubs. The chuck jaws are really close to the tool post. But they cleared\o/

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
\o/Nipples\o/

I couldn't resist :clap: :med: :clap:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
I tapered the skinny section of the hubs a little and remover 1/16" from the inside of the flange. I also removed another 1/16" from the recessed portion of the hub. I'll profile the outside of the flange after my arbor is done.

Out to the shop\o/

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
I lost my head building my arbor this morning. I threaded it for 1" - 12 TPI. But the nut I had was 1" - 14 TPI. If you thin the nut up alot it will go on :dremel: It will be fine for what it's doing.

I have the outside profile done. I can start drilling and tapping the spoke holes. As soon as I get a tap.

Stay tuned :ddb: :headbang: :ddb:

:o)
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
I managed to get a lot done today. I worked on the back wheel hub. It started out as a long bar of 660 bronze.

Chuck it in the lathe, Center it up, face it off, clean up the Outside, mark a line or two, start whittling.

Mark more lines, Whittle some more.

Rough out the rings with a lathe tool.

File the radius to shape.

File some more.

Drill the hole so the axle will fit through. Then bore for bearing.

Turn part around in lathe, Indicate in, Whittle a bit on other end.

Bore other end for bearings. Almost done now\o/

I now have to make another arbor to hold the hub while I finish the flanges on it and drill the spoke holes. I'll try for the right thread this time. LOL

I'm getting pretty excited now. I can almost feel the wind in my hair\o/
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »
Very nice Wes  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Whats your plan for threading the spokes ?  will you be rolling the thread

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 06:15:39 AM »
I would like to roll the threads. But a threader is about $150. (the ones I could find) I'll have to cut these with a die. The spokes are a little bigger than standard size. So I hope I'll be OK. Standard is about .090" and mine are .125". Some were whats called "double butted" About a half inch on each end was bigger than the rest of the spoke. I have no idea how they would have done that?
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:07 AM »
Hi Wes

The double butted is a weight saving idea ,, they draw out the centre of the spoke to to make it thinner ,,,,,,,, Yep thread rollers are not cheap ,,,, after one myself .. Using a die for the threads will be sound on a penny farthing ,, cant see you doing any bunny hops or stunts on it  :lol:

Rob
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:31:55 AM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
They do all kinds of stunts. Ride downhill with your feet over the bars, You can hit the brake hard that way and land on your feet. Just don't be going fast when you do that one :bugeye: They stand on the peg and petal the left side with your right foot. Many others. But your right. No bunny hop's or Wheelie's. 
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
A fellow gave me the plans for authentic pedals off of a 1880 Penny Farthing bicycle. I started cutting out the barstock for them today. There are quite a few little pieces. But I think they will go fairly fast. They are all pretty straight forward parts.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
Today I managed to get the neck roughed out. I notched the steering pin also. I still have some grinding to do.

Wes :ddb:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
I'm trying the vinegar thing to remove the scale on the flatbar. I started soaking it this morning. Stay tuned.....
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
It Works Awesome!!!!!!!\o/

Before work

10 Hours later...

2 minute's  later....

Thanks PT for your post!!!

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »
Got some done today. I made an arbor to hold the back hub while I drill it in my dividing head on my mill.

I also started on my Pedals. I managed to get the Axles machined. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. They took about twice as long as I thought they would though.

Next I'll get back on the back hub and get it finished. My spoke material will be here next week\o/

Later:^)
Wesley P

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:57 PM »
Very interesting thread Wesly

I hope you don't mind me posting some pics of Penny Farthings I took at the Dorset steam fair.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
Those are great Stew!!! I always like looking at pictures:o)
Wesley P

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
Ahh, so that's how a "spoon" brake works! Not sure I'd want to rely on it...

Wes - your machining skills are just awesome. I'm loving those axles with the feature in the middle, I would love to be able to turn something like that.

Just out of interest, how long does it take to go from the square-edged (machine-cut) "blank" to the fully filed version, and how long to go from that to the fully polished & machine-mark free version?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Thanks AdeV :wave: Anyone can what I do. I draw up what I want to see how it will look. I can make changes there pretty easy. I dimension the steps and the diameters. When I start I'll clean up the OD of the part and use Hermaphrodite calipers to scribe lines on the part for different lengths. You can see the bluing on the pictures of the back hub. Once you have all the steps roughed out the fun Begins. I place something bright under the part. Like the paper towel you can see in the background. This lets you see the profile really good. I then rough out the edges. Mainly so I don't have to file so much. Then start smoothing things off with a file. I don't use any gauges or anything to check things. Everything is by "Eye". You can get pretty close that way. If you file one side too much just file the other to match. I think it takes longer to rough out the part than it takes to cut all the roundies on it.

Tips....

Make sure you have a good sharp file.

You don't have to use a "lathe" file. Just a sharp one.

Keep your Rpm's down. You can ruin a file by running the lathe to fast. They work great at slower RPM's!

Make sure your file is clean! If you use a file with those little bits welded to the teeth. They will gouge the part. You'll have to take off more metal then. I use a sharp pick and dig them out of the file.

File a little then look things over. Then file a little more. Take your time! It's not a race! Your doing this for fun right?

Later, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »
I got the knurled nuts made for my pedals. They turned out great!!! Two less parts to build Yeah!!!

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
Well it was a productive day. I got the pedal spacer tubes almost done today also. 2 more less parts to build\o/ I still have to mill the flats on the small step.

I'm working on the bolts that will go through the pedal rubber now. I have one almost turned.

Later, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 02:13:43 AM »
Wes,
I've just read this posting all through...... How did you do so much, without me seeing...... Where have I been?  :scratch:

What a super project!

I love ......... Sorry! I'm out of words.......  ::)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!!!

I got slowed down by life this week. But today I got he bolts that hold the rubber in the pedals finished. They turned out great!!! As soon as my wife gets back with the camera I'll get some pictures up.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the back hub done. :ddb:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
Yeah Pictures!!! :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks:

These are the bolts that will hold the rubber on the pedals. They turned out Awesome!!! :clap:

Here is the sett up for cutting the screwdriver slot in my bolts.

Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
Stunning work Wes!

Eric
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:02:42 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
Thanks Eric :med:

I decided to try and finish the pedals. Here is one of the endcaps. They still have a lot of metal to be removed.

More later:o)
Wesley P