Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 191226 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »
It's a horrible feeling, when a thread grabs.  :(

Oh, b...er! If only, I'd not.........   :palm:  :bang: :bang:

The handlebar assembly looks fabulous Wes!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Working on the pedal cranks today\o/ There is only one straight part on this whole thing. So We'll use that to indicate the crank in. Here's my trusty old indicator. I like this one, it has ruby jewels in the side:o)

All indicated in I move to the opposite end of the crank and using a slitting saw cut a slot so the cranks will clamp onto the crank shaft.

This is one of the things that has been taking up some of my time. I put tin on the back of my shop. It was used, but free:o) It will look fine with a fresh coat of paint.

In front, on each side of the big door and rhubarb, there are giant sunflowers planted. I can't wait for them to start growing:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
Crank arms are nearly done:o) Tonight I started by thinning up the end where the pedals attach.

To make it a little fancy I used a ball mill to mill a groove into the back side of the arm.

To set final depth of the groove I just used a piece of paper to set the clearance at the bottom of the cutter.

Then I set the angle that the back side of the arm would be milled to.
I then milled the excess aluminum off:o)

I'll post a picture of the crank arms tomorrow. They are nearly done\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: cracking thread Wes  :thumbup:

Allot of very fine machining and fab work  :med:

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
Thanks Rob:o)

Here is a picture of the crank arms. I still need to clean them up some. I did get the key ways broached. We only had a plug set up for 3/16" keys. That will have to work:o)

I think all I have it to key the shaft and make a couple spacers and the front hub assembly is done\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
Those look great, Wes. Love the curlicues!

Keyways should be OK; I suppose the position of the handlebars means you can't stand on the pedals for extra push, like you can on a modern bike.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Thanks Andy:o)

I know how much everyone likes pictures, so:o) They fit on the crankshaft\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
Nice looking arms there Wes  :thumbup:

I'm wondering how you're going to hold the crankshaft and cut the keyways in at exactly 180' to each other? Think I have that process sussed  :scratch:

I'm sure your mill can handle it length wise but it's the vice holding the odd shape I'm wondering about?

That said, more than one way to grip a shaft eh?!  :bugeye:   

Have fun erm, doing that!  :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
That said, more than one way to grip a shaft eh?!  :bugeye:   

That's what she said Ralph :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
I got the spacers made and test fit everything together. I think I changed the brass hubs a little. My spacers were too short. The bearing housings hit the hub. So I made new spacers and all is good\o/

Better go clean my mill off so I can start cutting key ways in the shaft.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
Wow. That looks fantastic Wes!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »
REALLY beautiful workmanship Wes!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline philf

« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
Wes,

I've just read the entire thread again from the beginning.

I'm in awe of the work you've done   :bow: and can't wait to see the finished bike.

I am a cyclist but 700c wheels are big enough for me - I'm not keen on heights and the thought of falling off from that height doesn't bear thinking about!

Just a few miles from me they hold "The Knutsford Great Race" - for Penny Farthings. The race (held every 10 years) is at Knutsford in Cheshire, UK. Riders come from all over the world. The next one is in 2020. Might we see you there?

Here's a bit of video from the 2010 race:

And a gallery of some stills:

http://howardbarlow.photoshelter.com/gallery/THE-GREAT-RACE-2010/G000090ni0t0wmHY/0/1

Have you got the spokes made yet? I have a spoke rolling machine for 14swg (2mm) spokes but have great difficulty getting a single start thread. Only about 1 in 3 come out with the correct thread. Now, if I'm shortening a spoke, I always make sure I have some thread remaining which gives the rolls a good start.  I wish I could get to the bottom of this problem but haven't found any instructions anywhere.

Keep up the brilliant work. :thumbup:

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the Video Phil. I've seen about every video on the net on Penny's:o) I've met some great people on the net. A few that raced in the Knutsford\o/ It looks like a lot of fun.

I still have to finish the nipples and make my spokes. Those will be started very soon as I'm running out of other bits to distract me from them:o) I'll be cutting my threads with a die.

Mill's cleaned up. Ready to start milling keys. Stay tuned:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
Phil,

I never knew that race took place, and I've lived most of my life in Sale, only 10 miles away! Whereabouts in Knutsford do they hold it, in case I reach the age of 73?

:offtopic: That reminds me - it's Preston Gulid this year. I went to it in 1952, 1972 and 1992, so I suppose I may as well keep my attendance up, particularly as it is very unlikely I will make the 2032 event  :(

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline philf

« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Phil,

I never knew that race took place, and I've lived most of my life in Sale, only 10 miles away! Whereabouts in Knutsford do they hold it, in case I reach the age of 73?

:offtopic: That reminds me - it's Preston Gulid this year. I went to it in 1952, 1972 and 1992, so I suppose I may as well keep my attendance up, particularly as it is very unlikely I will make the 2032 event  :(

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's held on a triangular course around the park just below the lake: http://g.co/maps/kynqf

The 2010 race was held in brilliant weather; the 2000 race had heavy rain from beginning to end and we spent much of time in a cafe keeping warm (sat next to David Soul who had started the race). A friend of mine rode in the 2000 event on a borrowed machine.

The Courtyard Cafe in Knutsford has an excellent Penny Farthing collection  :thumbup: but it's a bit pricey for us poor cyclists. :(

I may have a look at details for the Preston Guild. I was once on the phone to a supplier in the Midlands enquiring about a product. The person on the other end of the phone asked me if I used the product often. I replied "Only once every Preston Guild". There was a silence and I thought I'd better explain that it was something that happened only once in 20 years. In a broad Brummie accent she replied "Oh, you mean Once every Wolverhampton Wakes!" I don't know if other cities in the UK have similar celebrations.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
The first 4 key ways were cut with the axle held in the vise. I marked a center line on the end of the axle and milled the first 2 keys.

I then flipped it end for end and rotated it 180 degrees. Using some packing just as a reference I leveled the line and cut the other two keys.

Pretty low tech. Right Ralph:o)

Next I'll set up the dividing head. The last two keys need to be 6 degrees apart to separate the spokes from one side to the next.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2012, 10:32:17 PM »
I used the same marks to align the shaft in the dividing head. This was kind of a shaky setup. The shaft was too long for my mill to hold everything. I ended up using only one bolt to hold the dividing head and the tail stock down.

Here you can see the keys don't line up. In this case it's a good thing:o)

Here's a bunch of pieces. I just need to get 4 keys to tie it all together.

More later\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Wes,

You got some magictrickery going on there.... I had all sorts of ideas going through my head... None of them was your solution!  :clap:
Stored for future reference  :borg:

You've got to love the exploded shot.... Looks like a plan is about to come together  :headbang:

Good luck with the spokes  :bugeye:

As Phil said... "can't wait to see the finished bike."  Getting close now Wes....   :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
Wes,

wow, wow and wow, fabulous Wes  :bow: :clap:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the compliments :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Today I set up and drilled the holes that will bolt the fork ends to the bearing housing. I first squared the housing up in the mill vise.

I then used an edge finder and located the edge of the part. An edge finder is a machinist tool that locates the center of the spindle over the edge of the part. That way the machinist can move the mill table accurately to the center of a hole or other feature:o)

I then center drilled, relief drilled, and drilled the hole to 1/4".

I must have done something right? A 1/4" drill slides into a 1/4" hole when the parts are placed together.

Stay tuned for more:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
While I had the mill warmed up I set up the crown piece for the rear forks. I found the center and drilled a 3/8" hole and milled a flat spot onto the top.

I then turned down the tapered piece of the backbone.This will let me clamp the two parts together when I weld them up. I'll just run a piece of 3/8 all thread threw the center to use as a clamp to hold it all in place.

I'm getting low on parts to machine now. I'm going to have to focus on nipples and spokes pretty quick:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
A quick shot of the rear forks. The parts are just stacked together like blocks now. I'll be welding and silver soldering them soon:o)

It feels like things are coming together pretty fast now:o) Not too many things to machine.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
Today In-between stuff today I managed to get the tapered part of my steering stem welded to the crown for the rear forks. First I used a piece of all thread through the center and a couple of nuts to suck it all together.

Then i TIG welded it up.

I built the weld up so there would be some to file off and smooth up. It should look pretty nice when done:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
I believe the phrase is.... "I love it when a plan comes together"  :headbang:

I was thinking "that's a chunky weld". Then read the words  :coffee: 

I do look forward to seeing the progress of this project, getting ever closer Wes. This is gonna look stunning  :thumbup:

Ralph.