Author Topic: Swinging Thread tool  (Read 23991 times)

Offline Boucher

Swinging Thread tool
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »
Making a swing type threader similar to John Stevenson’s has been well up on my to do list. Mine uses the Vertical Thread holder for the TNMC 43 NV inserts. I use both the 43 and 32 size vertical inserts and like them. Initially I was inclined to do one on a dedicated tool post rather than on the Quick Change Tool Post. I may still go that way. Using this type holder on a small 12” lathe that is only 1.063 from the top of the cross slide to spindle axis is a little cramped for space. This design uses the 3/4" size tool holder. I prefer the 1” holders but that will have to wait for now. Here is my first go at the Swing Threader.

This shows the back view of the threader. Bolt placement needed to clear the dovetail of the QC Holder. A longer Shoulder bolt will be installed when it arrives.

View showing the parts.

Parts are fitted pretty close but I will add some sort of indexing. A center punch prick on the washer was used to upset enough metal to take up the small side to side movement. This is for initial test run. I am still thinking on whether to install a brass or Teflon tipped adjustment screw, a key, or a vertical bolt or go back to the mill and skim a few more thousands from the threader body.

Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Re: Swinging Thread tool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
 :thumbup:
Simple and easy, that's it !

:beer:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
I like that design. Looks simple.

One question though. Will this type of tool work with a large amount of gear wind up in the lathe drive train?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Boucher

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
I have not yet been able to test it. My Lathe is a Nardini 1230E and has the magnetic brake and controls that allow one to go from Fwd to Rev with the Spindel control on the apron which translates to not opening the half nuts until you are through. I think this is going to work  but have not verified that. Will post after trial.
Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
I like that design. Looks simple.

One question though. Will this type of tool work with a large amount of gear wind up in the lathe drive train?

Bernd

Yes it doesn't seem to bother the design what backlash there is.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline nabeel

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:50 AM »
very nice design

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
Hmm. very nice.

Where do those vertical holders/inserts come from?
Any idea if they're available in the UK?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »
Hmm. very nice.

Where do those vertical holders/inserts come from?
Any idea if they're available in the UK?

RDG do a selection of 'em: http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Screw_Cutting_Tools_Indexable.html

Chronos probably do too, although a quick search didn't reveal any.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »
Look again.
The RDG and Chronos ones are horizontal.
Boucher's is vertical.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 09:29:01 AM »
Look again.
The RDG and Chronos ones are horizontal.
Boucher's is vertical.

Aaahh, you're right. My apologies... wasn't reading the question properly, obviously.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Boucher

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
I think Vertical threading tools originated with Tool Flo, a Houston, Texas company supplying tooling to the Oil industry.
http://www.toolflo.com/cats/On%20Edge.pdf
They have a sales network of dealers and will not sell to individuals. They did refer me to another Houston company that has been convenient for me. They have next day ground service and good prices. ENCO also sells the vertical threading tools.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=422-3044
The oil industry use lots of odd thread configurations on drilling tools and tubing. You may also have a dealer near you.

Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
Thanks, Boucher.
Having thought on it, the vertical one is too big for my needs, so I've gone with a 10mm horizontal one from the Chronos Ebay shop (out of stock on their ordinary web site  :scratch: ).

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
Please read this post before attempting to make one of this design.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2323.msg38956#msg38956

Not only has it no side force limiter other than the big washer on the pivot bolt, also, the pivot point looks to be in the incorrect position. It seems that my post about the development of it was totally ignored, or the information just didn't sink in.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »
I actually went with this version myself:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/swing-up-tool-holder.html

Which is stated as "very much based on the construction sketch given by "Bogstandard" in his concluding remarks."

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
I guess I get a big "FAIL' on my effort. ::) It is just a single cheap index tool holder with a hole drilled in the end for a single bolt pivot.  It only has side thrust support on one side but it seems to work well. :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Boucher

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
A bit of additional information.
John Stevenson’s post on HSM was the original motivating influence to develop this tool. Evidently his original interaction with the originators of this tool involved his thought that it needed some sort of keying which he incorporated in his tool. He posted a video link that clearly showed that his design worked.

I stated that this was my first attempt to develop a version of this tool. It did not incorporate the indexing key.  If that indexing feature is shown to be necessary it can be added with a key or with a side support bar.

Having long ago started my professional career as a  Design Engineer in the Aero-Space industry, I really don’t trust designs that seem to work perfectly on the first try. In my experience, designs that go through a development process are much more trustworthy. Health problems have diminished my capacity both mentally and physically so, There may be points of development that are lost on me and do go over my head. I have read all the posts re. Swinging threading tools that I can find. I appreciate the work that is involved in the sharing information in those posts. I am not bashful about disclosing things that I do that don’t work. I posted this because I believed it to have merit. It is food for thought and a worthy candidate for additional evaluation.

Bogs said: It seems that my post about the development of it was totally ignored, or the information just didn't sink in.

Actually the work on this was probably done concurrent with yours and before I was aware of this forum. I later posted it for others consideration and with no intended or implied reflection of your work.   
Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline Davo J

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Hi I cannot see any problem with your threading tool. The pivot bolt is below the cutting point and the side thrust is taken by the aluminum block. It would only be left hand threads that it would rely on the washer.

Fair enough for Bog's to get on the soap box in his thread, but I think it is rude to get on it here in your thread with the remarks.
After all, the original design was very similar to your design and worked.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1276.msg23777#msg23777

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
Davo,

Hi I cannot see any problem with your threading tool. The pivot bolt is below the cutting point and the side thrust is taken by the aluminum block. It would only be left hand threads that it would rely on the washer.

Fair enough for Bog's to get on the soap box in his thread, but I think it is rude to get on it here in your thread with the remarks.
After all, the original design was very similar to your design and worked.

Dave

That is the problem, the original, designed as it was, not only did it only function in one mode, the basic design was flawed for safety reasons.

But of course if you want to follow the route of unsafe tooling, by all means do so, that is your choice.

Am I supposed to leave something unsaid about bad practices and design, with maybe risks to health, purely for the sake of etiquette? I'm sure you would like to be informed if something nasty was about to happen to yourself.

If that is not the case, then I have no business being here, and you should be left to go around injuring yourselves because you don't know any better.

BTW, you are incorrect in your statement about the side loads being taken by the aluminium block.

If you look at the original design carefully, it is using the aluminium block as a pivot, attempting to pull the pivot bolt out of it's hole when cutting right hand threads. Even though small, and maybe wouldn't cause a problem, there is a basic design flaw there.
Even the people who have gone for a single round bar instead of the slot and block have got it wrong. Cutting both ways the tip will attempt to swing around that round bar pivot point, and thus put differing pressures on the pivot bolt. By putting a second round bar, say 1/2" behind the first would solve that problem. The gaps around my swing up piece isn't purely for swarf clearance, that is also there to prevent other forces acting on the pivot bolt, where all pivotting loads are taken by the long block in the slot.

You will find examples of this all thru industry. That is why things mechanically fail just past the guarantee period, obsolescence can in fact be easily built into a product.

That is what is happening to a lot of these modified tool designs people are making. Without realising it, they too are building in designed obsolescence, maybe leading to disasterous consequences.

Boucher,

If you want to know where the original started (as above), I suggest you read my full post on the development of this tool. I have never seen John's post on HSM, as I don't (and don't want to) subscribe to that website.

This all started a bit back when I saw the post by Andy here

From an original idea by Mike Cox.

I will be using his great idea and putting a few of my own mods onto it.

John came in at a later stage when I was discussing about ways to prevent sideways movement of the tip, John suggested a tapered block,

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2323.msg24733#msg24733

which I rejected and eventually used a straight version, but I did give John the recognition for sparking the idea to prevent sideways movement.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2323.msg24742#msg24742

It wasn't from John or myself. I took an (maybe) original idea by someone, and by looking at the problems, came up with a fully functioning and easy to make, safe to use tool. It then progressed from there with everyone and his dog producing different and 'better' ??? versions of it.

But anyway, I don't want to get into a pissing contest about who did what and where, but it would be nice to get due recognition for taking it as far as I did, I am just trying to prevent people from maybe being injured by bad design, with not enough thought being put into their 'new wonder' tooling.
I stated my reasons for my concern, if people wish to ignore them, then on their heads be it.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline mardtrp

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:26 AM »
Got sick and tired of doing it by whipping the tip out and reversing the lathe, then add on that extra bit for the next cut.

Made a few boo-boos along the way and then that bit was scrap.

So, made one of these swing threading tools, wow, what a difference and SO MUCH QUICKER. The boss sort of looked at me like I was a dope when I told him what I was making, but, once I got it going, it was just like a CNC doing the threading, a bit slower, but you can see how quick it is to the normal way of threading.
The lathe is just a Chinese thing with a foot brake and lever start, down for forward and up for reverse. So you start cutting the thread and when cut, just hit the brake, grab the lever and into reverse, whilst it's going backward, add on that bit more for the next cut, when the tool drops into fresh air, brake and hit forward, away you go again,  it's slower to type this, than do the job.

Just got one question, now why in the heck wasn't this swing thingy invented years ago ??

Congratulations to all involved in designing and getting this tool to work, it's no longer a "chore" to cut threads for hours now, it's a pleasure.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 04:32:15 AM »

Just got one question, now why in the heck wasn't this swing thingy invented years ago ??

Because everyone was going by the text book, only problem is no one has written a new text book in 50 years.
As apprentices I'm sure we all tried winding back in the cut to [1] save time and [2] see what happened. Well because of the slack in the gear train it trashes the thread, this leads to your first lesson in development and testing plus a smack round the head from the apprentice master.

And you are told the first lesson in industry "We have always done it this way"

I thread all the while with a swing tool.
I cut splines and serrations using an electronic Division Master unit.
I cut gears with an electronic hobbing attachment
I cut tapers using a boring head in the tailstock.

Why is none of this in the books ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »
Hey guys...

This is a good thread with good information in it. I would like to keep it that way. I do have a feeling that it is bordering on something else. I could be wrong... I normally don't like to step in but I think I will this time. As you are already doing, please keep things civil. The internet is a different form of communication than anyone is really used to. When we talk to someone, you see their body movements and hear the inflections in voice. Even on the phone you can hear the tone etc... Message boards are different. The person reading your post doesn't have the other 90% of communication there is in normal conversation. So when writing (and reading) posts, keep in mind how someone may take what you write. If need be, wait 10 minutes after what you write before posting... re-read it and then decide.

This topic has generated considerable feeling. Let's keep it good.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »

Dave

Well said Dave ,,,,,,, i am with you on this one  :thumbup:

John,, so what's the difference with this one http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=10165.0  ,, much the same as boucher's ,, in the thread you say its great and no mention of any flaws in the design or being un -safe  if your design was not followed  :scratch:

Rob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:45:16 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Boucher

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
It was stated: If you look at the original design carefully, it is using the aluminium block as a pivot, attempting to pull the pivot bolt out of it's hole when cutting right hand threads. Even though small, and maybe wouldn't cause a problem, there is a basic design flaw there.

Actually the 1/2" shoulder bolt has 1/2" thread engagement in the steel QCTH. This is visible on the back view shown in the first post. It was also mentioned that the screw shown was to be replaced with a longer one. The hole in the aluminum is reamed for a close sliding fit. The aluminum block is compressed by the washer and the bolt preload. The hole in the 3/4" tool holder bar is also reamed for a precision fit with the bolt. There is very little sideways deflection of that tool holder bar. Maybe this should have been stated but “this was never intended to be used for left hand threads.” In that respect it may be a bad design but it suits my intended use and it may work for others as well. It is not a bad design and is not intended to in any way reflect on what you developed.

Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline Boucher

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
Sometimes the development of tools follows completely unrelated parallel paths and at near the same time. In reality like the question  "Which came first the chicken or the egg." it becomes unimportant. The swinging thread tool comes along and when "One would think that there is nothing new under the sun."  and demonstrates that there is indeed something new. The important thing is that it represents a definite improvement in threading if you have a lathe with the right hardware. A sincere "Thank You" is owed to each and every one that has invested their time and effort in this development. For what it is worth the earliest reference to this was posted by:
MuellerNick
Funny, the original design seems to have ben stolen from Mr. Brück.
He showed it the first time summer 2009.

If you have an earlier claim then please post it.

Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
His claim isn't valid, he takes too long doing it. I can thread normally faster   :beer:

John S.
John Stevenson