Author Topic: Swinging Thread tool  (Read 23493 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Swinging Thread tool
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
His claim isn't valid, he takes too long doing it. I can thread normally faster   :beer:

John S.

Could it be a difference in voltage between the UK and Germany?  :lol:  :lol:

Or perhaps the lathe used, maybe the size of the operators cahoonies?  :scratch:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
I couldn't stop my lathe in that little slot even if it were running at half the speed... the problem I've got is the clutch doesn't work too well at the slower speeds, and the brake doesn't work very well at the higher speeds... and the whole thing has so much momentum it won't be rushed...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Found his web site here: http://shop.rb-werkzeuge.de/

About halfway down he has a pic of the tool. Interesting how something so simple has turned into such a complicated tool that I see now being used. Looks typical of engineers. Take something simple and design it into a complicated tool and sell it for hundreds more.  :lol:  :lol: But he's selling it for only €99.

Going to have to try and, or should I say, I'm going to build one just to see what all the flap is about. Glad I'm only a model shop and not a model production shop. :ddb:

Bernd
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:18:09 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:41 AM »
Can't understand what all the fuss is about and why people are getting so heated?

It's a tool, it cuts single point threads simply and easily unlike any tool before it. Many people have made their own versions, nothing complicated needed so even absolute beginners can make one successfully. Only have to see John Stevensons under engineered stab at it to appreciate the simplicity required.

Everyone's attempt to date does the job so big clap all round me thinks  :clap:

They are simple and they work flawlessly, what more do you want?

Nice to see different peoples take on the idea so keep them coming  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 04:32:54 AM »
He's also pinched my edge finder with the bearing  :doh:

Anyway for those that haven't seen the tool I did that was on the HSM site here it is.

This is it in it's final version, the original tool was just a hole reamed thru a large brazed parting tool reground into a threading tool, with a slot cut in the bottom. The  bottom keyed plate is machined from solid and bolted on to make fitting easier than try to mate up slots and side play on the pivot.
The whole original toolpost with the red tool literally took under an hour but I had got the tool holder blank.

Link to youtube to show it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_AVx_JRlE

Because I have also used the die pieces out of Coventry Dieheads for a long whole I then wondered if they would work on this tool so the second holder was made. Basically it mimics the red tool and just holds a die piece.
For a test i took a piece of 16mm rebar reinforcing rod, probably the worst material know to man, beast and next doors cat.
Set up in the lathe and went for it, vid here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TR0ssQrmI8

And a close up of the thread here.

Some tearing but given the material it got to be the best thread I have done on this crap. I use this tool to thread everything now and I do a lot of threading running a repair jobbing shop.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

About 6 months ago, I was offered a whole huge pile of those die heads for the price of scrap. I couldn't see me ever using them, so he ended up scrapping them.

For shame.

They were all new in boxes as well, probably all whitworth stuff, but you never know.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Boucher

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
Development of the swinging thread tool.

John said: This is it in it's final version, the original tool was just a hole reamed thru a large brazed parting tool reground into a threading tool, with a slot cut in the bottom.

The die head type laydown insert produces a better quality thread in difficult materials and does it quicker than a single point tool.

I started with the vertical insert tool because that is what I had and liked it. I have a few of the Rigid pipe thread dies but have never seen the ones that John has. The Carmex type full profile lay down insert also seems to produce a smoother thread surface. Some of this is due to the positive rake of those type inserts but the multiple points seem to really improve the quality.

Where should I start looking for that type threading die?
Byron Boucher
Burnet, Texas

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
John? I thought I was the only one who posted pictures of dirty machines with chips all over them? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...