Author Topic: Truing the edges of a plate  (Read 12844 times)

Offline fluxcored

Truing the edges of a plate
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »
Hi Guys, I'm nearly done with my slotter - just need to make some tool holders and  a dab of paint. Promise to send in some pics as long as nobody laughs!!

My next project is a milling plate for my lathe - I'm using 20mm plate. Problem is after cutting, filing and sanding the edges are still not as true as I want them to be. Only a cosmetic issue but I want it to be as close to perfect as I can get it.

Now, I do'nt have a mill to work with but thought that using that spare Chinese drill press, removing the drill portion and clamping my Hitachi die grinder in the table holding fixture and making a sliding table for the plate to sit on I could use the contraption to grind the edges straighter than I can do by hand. In my mind the die grinder would be held vertically and fixed while the plate would be slided back and forth on the sliding table.

The sliding table,  I can do with 2 shafts a few bushes and some angle iron to keep it to together.

Is there perhaps a better or easier way of truing up the sides of the plate. Maybe I'm overcomplicating a very simple operation?
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Truing the edges of a plate
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:02 AM »
You don't say how big the plate is.

But have you thought of using your lathe bolt the plate to the cross side some way, hold an end mill in the chuck and away you go.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:31:54 AM »
You don't say how big the plate is.

But have you thought of using your lathe bolt the plate to the cross side some way, hold an end mill in the chuck and away you go.

Stew

Yea, that is what I use to do for some basic milling before I had a mill. I also removed the tool holder and clamped a little vice onto it. Made small chips and light cuts - worked ok. I`m sure it would be a good solution for truing the edges of your plate. That being said, I was watching someone using an X, Y axis clamped onto a pillar drill and doing some nice gentle milling. Net nannys probably wouldn`t be happy but it was working well, he got a better finish than I can get and he was working the tools and funds that he had available.

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
Can I clamp an end mill as is in a 3 jaw chuck?

It's not too big - it's going to be installed on the cross slide anyways.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:59:01 AM »
That is what I did!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »
Not my video but just found this on youtube:

&feature=related

He talks a lot but if you notice he has his milling cutter in a 3 jaw. I `m sure the net nannys would  :whip: as it is more secure in a collet!

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »
End mill cutter here I come!!! :nrocks: :nrocks:

Thx guys.

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
End mill cutter here I come!!! :nrocks: :nrocks:

Thx guys.

OMG. Sorry for my newbieness - any recommended size of cutter that I should go for?? Normal shank?? Etc.??

Offline kwackers

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »
For facing stuff I just go for as big an end mill as I've got. You can also use the same technique for fly cutting etc, if you've a 4 jaw you can even just grind up a bit of tool steel and hold it 'off centre' in the chuck...

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
And.... if you really want a workout, you can always resort to draw filing. That's how the old timers did it.

Joe

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »
Just do'nt have the stamina for manual work anymore - find that I tire easily and I'm not that old!!

I'll order myself an end mill tomorrow.

Will take some pics of my slotter and the section of plate that I want to use tonight.

Cheers.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
And.... if you really want a workout, you can always resort to draw filing. That's how the old timers did it.

Joe
I'm a big fan of draw filing, often quicker than setting up the job in a mill and a lot less chance of ending up under-size (at least if you're me).
You can get a lovely finish too, people use all sorts but for me a bit of WD40 sprayed on the file and the occasional wipe with a wire brush to get the crap out works wonders.

I'm not good enough to get a perfectly flat surface but I can get pretty close.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »
When I have tried draw filing on my clock frame, I found I end up with a grated looking edge rather than a smooth flat edge. Obviously wasn`t doing it correctly.... Video : How to "Draw File" anyone?

Offline kwackers

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
When I have tried draw filing on my clock frame, I found I end up with a grated looking edge rather than a smooth flat edge. Obviously wasn`t doing it correctly.... Video : How to "Draw File" anyone?
You're allowing the file to slip sideways - so that the teeth 'track'. Just keep it flat and pull it back towards you keeping it at right angles and with no sideways movement.
You should be using sharp files and won't need that much pressure - resist the temptation to apply it...

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Thank you to all who has advised me.

I plucked up the courage to do some milling in the lathe using a 14mm end mill.

I just trued up the edges to make 10mmX10mm blocks out of aluminum which I hacksawed from an old thermal printer head, over the weekend.

I clamped the blocks in my toolpost, not having finished my milling plate yet.

It was a very satisfying experience!  :thumbup:

Offline Jonny

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
Used to draw file everything at work working to microscopic tolerances, its quite easy.
Meant for smoothing and slight dips and peaks plus in our instance with V springs running in direction of compression before turning (forging.)

Used to draw file with a 12" bastard most of the time unless finished product where above three square and an oil used prior to a polish.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
The two springs in flat state here are draw smoothed prior to turning, maybe 2nd cut.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728921/3960275/49395274.jpg

80% of this was draw smoothed and filed to shape within thous.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728921/3960275/379943086.jpg

Offline bp

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
During my apprenticeship, at one stage I was making loft plates, which involved cutting and filing a profile to (ideally) half way through an 0.008" thick line, the material was generally 1/8" Al Alloy although some were 1/8" or 1/4" gauge plate.  The inspector wanted to see a draw filed profile as they generated less drag to the router, some of the profiles were 8' (that's 96 inches) long and gently curving.  This enabled the development of draw filing skills to quite a high level!! 
Even now, over 40 years later I can still file to a line and (split a thickish one!) nice and square etc etc, I just don't do it very much, because I can.........., machining is less effort, just twiddling a handle!!
cheers
Bill Pudney
Adelaide, Australia