Author Topic: snow Tandem  (Read 30501 times)

Offline Joe d

Re: snow Tandem
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »

That was precise forward planning!   :thumbup:David D

Sure you haven't been listening over my shoulder as I try to claim that with the Mrs? ::)

Made up the oilers, they are mostly decorative, the reservoir doesn't actually hold any oil, but the centre shaft is drilled through so that an occasional drop can be put through to the bearings

they go here:

Got the cams out of the way... :ddb:

trued up a chunk of steel in the lathe, drilled & reamed for the cam shaft, popped in a temporary dead centre, and cut a little deeper than the minor dia with a parting tool, this way once all the other machining is done, I can can come back and part them off without an interrupted cut

off to the mill to whittle away everything that doesn't look like a cam... :dremel: used a fly cutter, and rotated the stock a very approximate 10-15 degrees per cut,

cleaned it up on the belt sander to remove all the little facets left from the milling, and them back in the mill for drilling and tapping for set-screws

then back in the lathe for parting off, easy-peasy to pick up the original parting cuts :headbang:

and then some fairly finger-numbing cleaning up with numerous ascending grits of sand paper...and ta-dah: some cams!

This thing is soooo close... :ddb: :ddb: I've got to make or acquire a carb, make the fitting to attach said carb to the fuel intake manifold, cut 4 gaskets for the coolant outlets,  install the fuel line, and.... and..... dang, nothing else left to machine! The rest is all assembly.

(Of course, then the re-making of some parts will no doubt ensue....)

Cheers, Joe

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
Joe

Looking pretty good there. Won't be long now and it will be sputtering and coughing then clearing its throat and purring like a kitten. Wonderful job joe.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
Nice job Joe!

Waiting anxiously for the video of it running!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joe d

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »
Thanks, Eric, me too!

Got busy and painted the parts that need painting, and then stopped faffing about and started building a carb instead of buying one... made up the carb body: squared up some ali in the mill, bored, drilled, tapped, turned bosses, taper-turned for venturi, neglected to take any "in progress" photos, so here it is done:

with the dimension established by the body, I could now make the fitting to attach the thing to the manifold, turned, drilled, and bored

soldered it to the the piece that joins the two halves of the intake manifold

and here's all the bits where they belong:

Still have to make the barrel, so, unless I've missed something somewhere, I have got

ONE PIECE LEFT TO MACHINE  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers, Joe