Author Topic: It's a mad world....  (Read 5381 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
It's a mad world....
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
I don't have a light on my lathe, although I do have a fitting for one, along with a 25v transformer & switch. No bother, thinks I (having recently purchased a stack of 24v bayonet-cap bulbs for the Bridgeport), I'll just buy a cheap old Anglepoise lamp, whip the old base off, mock up some new base out of ali/steel/whatever which will screw to the base on the lathe, and presto: A lo-vo posable lamp which will last forever.

Except.

Anglepoise lamps go for silly money on eBay - £20 + inflated postage prices, typically. In fact, it's cheaper to buy a new angle-poise-alike clone..... but all the NEW lamps take SES (Small Edison Screw) bulbs! What's that all about??? The bayonet cap has been completely bog standard in the UK for thousands of years (err, ok, many decades at least); the ES (& SES) has no practical benefits over & above a BC fitting - hmm, except maybe the bulbs are more expensive.

So, either I buy a new AP-alike lamp & a second stash of lo-vo bulbs, or I spend silly money on a "vintage RARE!!!! L@@K!" (grrr)  old anglepoise or.....

....any one got one they'd like to part with for not-so-silly money? Any dual-arm spring-loaded cantilever type lamp would be appreciated, it doesn't have to be a genuine(tm) Angle Poise - the main thing is, I don't want to spend more than a tenner all up.... so, bashed/dented/knackered examples are just fine. Of course, if you've got a nice one that's well kept, I recommend you stick it on eBay, where some mug will pay ££££ for it.

[/rant]
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: It's a mad world....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »
Can't you just replace the SES lampholder in a cheap Anglepoise look-alike with a BC one? If your 24v bulbs will mate with a standard mains lampholder, those are cheap enough.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
Can't you just replace the SES lampholder in a cheap Anglepoise look-alike with a BC one? If your 24v bulbs will mate with a standard mains lampholder, those are cheap enough.

I don't know TBH. Probably not, given the way they make stuff these days - it'd probably destroy the anglepoisealike trying to remove the ES fitting... but to find out, I'll have to buy one.... catch-22!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

lordedmond

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »
just a tip from one who knows

make sure you keep those 24v lamps in a box clearly marked low voltage  :D

many years ago (40 plus) when I served my time as an apprentice sparks the 240v lamps and the 24v lamps were on the same shelf in the lamp cupboard , as we were in the habit of not turning off the juice grabbing a 24v instead of the 240v one produced some interesting results as did the other way round  :(

just get a brass BC lamp holder ( no need for an earth on 24v ) the thread if you did not know is BSB

Stuart

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
Ade, if my imitation anglepoises are any guide, you wouldn't have much trouble extracting the lampholders. The red one came from sHabbitat many years ago. Its lampholder is somehow held in by the plastic cable entry widget, which is slowly disintegrating. The switch is on the end of the holder. It projects through a clearance hole in the shade, and takes no part in securing the lampholder. 

The grey one is more modern, but I can't remember where it came from. Again, the black cable entry is the only thing which secures the lampholder. The switch is an in-line one, part way along the flex.

It would be easy enough to cobble a new holder into either shade, particularly in your 24v case, where safety isn't such an issue. Looks like I'll soon have to give some attention to the red one.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
I think a suitable lamp support would be a neat lathe project! :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
in the past I've seen both 25v and 50v baynet cap gls bulbs used on machines
one bulb  used tha same bc22 base as in the domestic 240v bulbs and the   other bulb had offset pins 

and yes I must admit , like  Stuart , I pluged one into 240v socket by mistake   

the machines  LO-VO lighting transformers had a 440v / 240v primary and  could be linked for centre tapped 25v or 50v  options  ( maximum of 25v w.r.t. earth)

provided the 25v bulbs fit the same socket as the 240v bulbs you could mount a standard pendant socket through a 28.5mm hole
or a brass lampholder and threaded adaptor as used on some lampstands

E.S. to  B.C. adaptors are another option 

John       

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:35:29 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

MrFluffy

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »
If you buy a new repo one, you'll find out why the old ones hold their money so well.

The new stuff wont stay clamped for any real length of time and are very flimsy with hollow rivets for pivot joints etc and require the holding clamps graunching down to actually clamp them still which can damage them, while a antique one can be positioned and locked and itll just stay there.
£20? your lucky!, they sell the antique jeilde (anglepoise period equivalent) starting at about 80 here...

I had best luck with some flexineck desk lamps screwed to the wall behind the lathe and shining down onto it. I just drilled two holes in the base and screwed them to the wall through them :)