Author Topic: Micro-Height Gage for layout?  (Read 10781 times)

Offline MikeA

Micro-Height Gage for layout?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
Hello all,

I'm back with another possibly dumb question.

I bought a height gauge a while back as I thought it would be good for measuring and layout -below are some photos I just took.

Since purchasing this I disassembled it, cleaned it up a bit and tightened it to where it now gives very consistent measurements with <0.001" error and calibrates dead-on with a one inch calibration standard.

The question: should I be using something other than this for my layout measurements?

Best,
Mike

Edit: Didn't realize how dirty/dusty this thing was until I saw those photos - I'll go clean it up!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:35:52 AM by MikeA »
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline ieezitin

Re: Micro-Height Gage for layout?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
Mike.

Not quite clear on your question but other than a scribe block (which is a PITA to use compared to the height gage)  the answer would be no! I love vernier height gages and since you have calibrated it there mechanical and don’t lie to you like your kids do!. Just don’t drop it!.

Happy days     Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
I like that a lot. I may have to make one :)

Bill
Bill

Offline MikeA

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »
Hello Anthony & Bill,

Thanks for your comments.

Being relatively new to machining, and not ever having heard of anyone using one of these for layout I figured I was completely off base. Especially in this thing is so easy to use.

After seeing my close up photos and realizing how dirty/dusty it was I felt it was a good idea to get it cleaned up and also to take a shot at improving the readability of the engraved numbers/increments by cleaning them up, washing with solvent and then applying several coats of white paint. I think it was a decent improvement as per attached photos.

Best,
Mike

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
Mike,

What a nice simple but good tool.

They do make much larger and more accurate versions of this type, and they are called Vertical Micrometers, I gave away a 12" one to another member on here as it was too heavy for me to swing around, maybe about 20 to 30 pounds in weight. But they are used more for taking a measurement off with a scribing block, rather than actually scribing with.

If it is accurate to 0.001", then it is perfectly good to use, purely because the line it will scribe on a blued up component, and that goes for other height gauges as well, will be approximately 0.002" wide. So a very good little tool to have in your marking out arsenal. Split that marked up line when you are machining and you won't be far off spot on.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline MikeA

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
Hello Bogs,

Thanks for the confirmation - since I've never seen another of these I wondered if I was really screwing up!

It really makes marking out a breeze and your information about the width of the scribed line makes a lot of sense.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen any others this size or even smaller? I believe there is a two inch model being offered on eBay (for VERY high price). Why are they so uncommon?

Best,
Mike

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
I have only ever seen one, the same size as yours.

In the 80's and early 90's, I worked for a small American company in the UK, and the boss had one. He wouldn't let me have it, but he did give me a very early instrument that did the same sort of job as a DTI but without the dial, just a pointer on a sliding scale. A very nice compact unit, but only shows very limited movement side to side of zero.

I will have a root around and see if I can find it, and take a piccy for you to see.

There is nothing wrong with old mechanical tools such as these. If looked after, they will do the job just as well as a comparable digital one. I actually prefer to use a dial vernier, it is much more accurate than a digital one, plus being an 8" reading one, it can reach parts a normal digivern can't.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline MikeA

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
Hello Bogs,

Being naturally inquisitive, I decided I needed to know at least something more about this height gage. I checked the US Patent office and found the patent for my gage was granted December 22, 1964. I've attached the pdf of the patent drawing that is identical to the unit I own.  I've also attached a pdf of the original patent for this type unit dated December 1950 granted to Mr. W. Vangor and another improvement to the screw/nut mechanism to eliminate backlash (dated February 1965). A lot can be learned by looking at these patents as regards how/why the gage was put together.

It's really curious as to why these weren't more widely used as it's relatively foolproof (evidence: I can use it!) as well as reasonably rugged.

Looking forward to any photos you have of the DTI as it appears there were any number of fully functional tools that seem to have disappeared.

Best,
Mike

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
Here a a few shots of that indicator.

As you can see, not very big, but only 0.005" movement each way from zero.

It can be operated from either end, either the plunger to the right is pushed in, or the lever on the other end can be pushed sidewards into the rod sticking out, there is a little channel it runs in.

Not very thick either.

The cover plate and body has a lovely sliding dovetail fitting. Unfortunately, a little damaged at the very top left hand corner, as shown on the pic. It was like that when given to myself.

An insides shot, showing that it is actually made from a cast part, then machined up.

If you can't read the writing, it says

THE KCCH TEST INDICATOR

NYACK NY PAT. JULY 17  1906

It really is a nice unit, and if you can work within it's short working scale, perfectly useable.

Just because it is old, doesn't mean it has to be discarded.

These people have theirs identified incorrectly, as KOCH, and I also think it is a later model than mine, as it has the 1/1000th markings on it.

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,koch-test-indicator,1850590.html

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline MikeA

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Hello Bogs,

That's a pretty slick little critter! Sure doesn't have a lot of throw to work with, but I daresay it's very accurate within the designed operation range. Amazing the technology that was used over 100 years ago.

Best,
Mike