Author Topic: Kennedy Power Hacksaw - newest addition to the workshop  (Read 34712 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Kennedy Power Hacksaw - newest addition to the workshop
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
When I first saw one of these running I really liked it. Being in a basement workshop, I`m limited with the size of the equipment I can have down there, especially floor standing. This is an ideal size, OK, limited certainly to the size I can cut but it`ll certainly give my arm a rest on the small stuff.  I get a lot of my stock from the scrappy so I have a lot of long bar, too big to easily get on the lathe so cutting with this saw should be quicker. I suppose we`ll see how much use it gets over the next few months but I think it`ll be a good addition to the shop.

It was pretty much ready to run, I just needed to make a new clamping block to hold the saw in place. The oil pot contains slide ways oil, I don`t know if that is too thick?

Anyone know much about these machines....I really need to get to grips with the setup although it is cutting pretty well as is:

Offline Trion

Re: Kennedy Power Hacksaw - newest addition to the workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:22 AM »
Very nice, I'm jalous! :thumbup:

I neither know much about such saws, but was just wondering if there should be any lifting action of the blade on the non-cutting stroke?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:55:25 AM »
That's a lovely little saw Chris - very busy looking too... the "Rapid"or I have access to is a much more leisurely cutter... And that cut-off mechanism is just brilliant - totally Heath Robinson, but in a good way.

Trion - I believe the reverse stroke is supposed to clean the chips out of the teeth & the cut, just like when you cut with a hand hacksaw.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
Hi guys, has anyone seen one of these running in person - I have a comment on youtube saying that it looks to be running a bit quick. Anyone any thoughts? I have to admit, when I first booted it up, I did question the speed but then the Hover motor is original so I don`t know how it would be running too quick or quicker than intended.

Chris

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Hi guys, has anyone seen one of these running in person - I have a comment on youtube saying that it looks to be running a bit quick. Anyone any thoughts? I have to admit, when I first booted it up, I did question the speed but then the Hover motor is original so I don`t know how it would be running too quick or quicker than intended.

Chris

Never seen one, Chris, but on the video it looks like it's doing 3 or 4 cuts a second, so maybe around 200 per minute. With a stroke of perhaps 6", that would be a "surface speed" of 100 fpm, which doesn't seem too much compared to a bandsaw. Of course, it will go faster in the middle of the stroke than at the ends, but I reckon it's still within reasonable bounds. The paint isn't burning off the blade, anyway.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Cornish Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
Have had one of these for about twenty years. Super bit of kit although a bit limited for size that it can handle. For some reason I can't see your pic/video so can't say if it appears to be fast - if it has the original motor and standard belt drive, it will be working at the correct speed - a compromise, of course. Have used mine for steel, ali, delrin and brass - all nicely done and VERY relaxing :thumbup: Enjoy :thumbup:

Offline gingerneer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:07 AM »
Hi craynerd

I have one of these machines on long term loan from my mentor. Great bit of kit, his advice to the setting of the blades was that it did not matter which way around you put the teeth. I have tried this out and it cuts well with the teeth eather way around. Its drive from a reduction gear box, not sure if its worm drive or spur gears, but i would say it runs at half the speed yours does.

William   

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I actually had the pleasure of watching another one of these running last night, in person, and it was running at the same speed as mine does. Mine is cutting fine so I`ll just leave it as it is for now until anything becomes a problem.

I said there was a slide ways oil in the dash pot but any idea what oil should really be in there. Is this too thick and will cause the saw to drop too slow or would this be OK?

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Spent a couple of hours on this during the last few hours. I`m convinced that the motor speed has slowed down a touch, but regardless of that, the saw is trying to fall too quick and is jamming and stopping the motor. I imagine the oil pot controls the speed it drops but there must be another mechanical element to adjusting the falling speed of the blade. It cuts lovely when you put your finger just on the end to take some of the downward force/weight!!

Anyone any thoughts.... I`m out of ideas short of changing the oil but I thought slideways oil was pretty thick!

Chris

Offline kwackers

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:37:23 AM »
I'd imagine the oil is just a damper, nothing to do with the speed of cut.
Usually there's a weight that can be slid back and forth to adjust the force on the blade.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:39:52 AM »
Ahh, that sounds sensible. I`ll give it a try tonight!

Chris

Offline Cornish Jack

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:56 PM »
That sounds a bit odd - never happened with mine in 20 years! :scratch: There is no weight adjustment on the saw arm - it just relies on the dashpot resistance to control the fall. The oil in mine was just from a can of diesel I had for the car and it has (so far) been just right. The piston in the dashpot makes quite disgusting squelching noises as it is raised and lowered - not a particularly technical way of describing it but that's what it is and it gives just the right amount of resistance. Thicker oil, maybe???

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »
With a bit of searching, you might find Bog's thread where he added a lump of iron or something to the end of his.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline kwackers

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »
I can't see that the dashpot oil has anything to do with speed of cut. Consider how fast or slow you can raise the arm with a small amount of pressure, compare that to the differing speeds it will cut through metal.
At the rate the saw descends when cutting I can't imagine the dashpot would make any difference at all. I haven't seen one in the flesh though so might be talking the proverbial.

All of the power hacksaws I've seen (mine included) have an adjustable weight that can slide back and forth along the top of the saw arm, the further forward the more pressure it applies when cutting.

Having said that, craynerds problem seems to be one of cutting too fast. Adding weight is hardly likely to help that...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
Hi, I sorted this out just as Kwackers suggested. I`m a bit confused Cornish Jack, if you unscrew the two bolts on the top of the saw you can move the saw and weight position.... this fixed my issue and I`ve just been again to a friend who has one this evening and it runs at the same speed to mine.

Chris

Offline Cornish Jack

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
..."I`m a bit confused Cornish Jack" ... You and me, both, Chris. Just fought my way out to the shed through a Norfolk gale to check my saw. Yep, two bolts on the saw arm BUT NO ADJUSTMENT FOR ANYTHING!!. The bolts just hold the saw frame to the top guide runner and they're FIXED in position - no weight to change and no way of changing the saw frame position on the guide. Very puzzling but irrelevant if you've managed to sort your cutting rate.  :thumbup:

Offline pbernard

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »
Hello all,

Just thought I might respond to Kennedy hacksaw posts as I used one 40 yeras ago at university (staff not student!!) and bought one from Ebay 12 months ago which to say the least was absolutely ***gered by mechanical abuse by trying to use it for too big a job(s)
Totally covered in crud of years, most of the levers and stops missing, and the vice adjustment knob - a welded on, cock-eyed socket spanner (for just a bit more torque!! by means of a socket handle).
Any way that said I am attempting to rebuild this into some sort of working machine - I only paid a fiver for it so I can afford to spend a bit on it.
The main reason I am posting is just to say that regarding the dashpot working etc it is just to slow down the fall of the cutting arm so that the blade does not jam in the work - I have always thought of the saw as a slow-close toilet seat with hacksaw attachment!!   OOOOH!

Cheers.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »
Yes, and the little leaver going into the dashpot allows you to control the speed as well as it looks to push on a little washer which either seals or opens the holes at the bottom of the "piston" to control the fall rate.

Chris

Offline pbernard

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
And guess what's also missing from mine!!  the little leaver going into the dashpot - just made a new washer as that was also  ***gered.

Paul.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
Hi Chris,  I've got one similar, but made by someone who left it to me when he passed on.  It worked okay when I got it, mostly, but it wouldn't touch stainless, so with some fooling around, I found that changing the motor rotation and moving the link from the crank to the saw body, so the cut was on the pull stroke, and the crank was pushing the saw out as it rotated clockwise, gave a lifting effect, lightening the blade in the groove, and at the same time making for the crank to be pulling down on the cutting stroke, which made a significant difference in speed of cutting, and in blade longevity.  Mine is rather simple and has nothing but the weight of a half inch by two inch bar and no dashpot at all, but it is more effective than the band saw on hard to cut material, and does enough work I gave him a name, and think of him as a slow learning apprentice.  I suspect if you reverse the rotation, and have the cut on the pull stroke it will tend to lift the blade on the return stroke, lessening the wear and making the cutting stroke more effective.  They almost always cut straighter on a pull stroke than as a pusher, but there's a lot of issues in the angle and placement of the crank relative to the actual line of force of the cut which are determined by where shafts and such are located, and their position with respect to each other.  I wouldn't part with mine for the world, unless someone offered a really good deal.  mad jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
Madjack - thanks for the info regarding the cutting action. As I`ve said before, mine works a lot and I also wouldn`t get rid. I`ve only a very small basement workshop so one of the things I love with this is its small size! It is small enought to take only a small bench space yet can get a decent size under it...anything it can`t deal with I`ll have to use the old arm!

Offline Pete.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
I went to pick up an item I won on eBay today and he had a complete working one of these sitting on his bench. I was tempted to make him an offer on it - then I remembered how frustrated I was with the first one I had :D

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »
frustrated???  :jaw: this machine hasn`t let me down once and gets used loads, one of my best buys for sure!!

Offline jonny neate

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
Craynerd i have one of these machines but mines a Kennedy 90 yours is a 60. My 90 is about half as big again as yours and is quite lumpy.The 60,s do run a lot faster than the 90,s.

I love mine and would never part with it ,I think mine will cut about 3 1/2" thick by nearly 5" wide.
If your lucky enough to get a little used one the oil damper really works well but get an abused one and they can be a right pig.

Jonny Neate

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
Cheers Jonny
I do keep threatening to remove the damper and take a look at it but then it seems to start working OK again so I leave it....!! Excellent machine and it has had plenty more use since my last posts on this thread!

Offline jonny neate

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
I think thats why people reverse the blade when the damper plays up less friction on the forward cutting stroke,seems to help.

I had an old kennedy 90 in real bad condition could not get the damper to work any sense, a lot of the problem is the piston does not stay parralell in the bore and is shaped like a flying saucer if that makes sense.  So it only has a small contact area with the bore.You can groove them and put an O ring on them that can help a bit. My lastest Kennedy 90 is amazing and has even got tho original tripod stand and the damper works perfect.
                                           Jonny Neate

Offline jonny neate

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Just thought i would say i use ep90 geer oil in my dash pot,Ive have also got a user manual for it .
                                                                                                                          Jonny Neate

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:23 AM »
Jonny, I might use some of that oil then. I`m using slide ways oil because it is thick but it could be too thick?!

Offline jonny neate

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »
Hi , I have put some coppies of the Kennedy manuals on eBay .
                                                                                        Jonny

Offline mechman48

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi Chris
When I first saw your video on youtube about this saw I told mesel' 'must have one of those'..tried as I might I couldn't find one on t'internet,noting along the way that Kennedy's & Chas Wade(partners) had long gone out of business back in the 90's..no chance there then! had a look on fleabay couple of weeks ago & lo & behold 2 of them up for bids..put my bids in but they went haywire during the last couple of minutes..one of them ending up going for £173...! the other for more I think! needless to say I was pipped at the post more's the pity.
So on reconsidering my needs I thought it over & went to Machine M's vat free day last Thurs & bought myself a new metalworker 6" bandsaw for just over £40 more the kennedy's auction prices. It would have been nice to have one of these sat on my bench but 'cie la vie', at least I have a band saw to use.
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline DELBOY52

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
Hi,
I have just managed to get my hands on a Kennedy 90 Power saw.  Mine has one of the MEM no-volt release switches, but there is no mechanism attached to it for turning the power off at the end of a cut.  Does anyone know how these switches operate?
Also, the Damper pot was completely bone dry, and looks as though it has been for quite a while. I will probably use an EP 90 oil, or similar, to start with, but what do others use, and what is used as a rubber gator over the pot.
And finally, what is the purpose of the slightly smaller bored hole behind the dash pot?

Many thanks, :wave:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
NVR switches usually incorporate a relay. The start button is a momentary contact, pushbutton job. Pressing it sends current through the relay coil, closing the relay contacts to send power to the motor. There is a feedback from the downstream side of the relay contacts to the upstream side of the relay coil, so once the start button has been pressed and the contacts have closed, the relay holds itself on. To stop, there is either:

Chinese version: a stop button with a plastic bar sticking into the relay and bearing on the contacts, so pressing the stop button simply forces the contacts apart. That stops the motor, and also breaks the feedback so the relay coil goes dead and when the stop buton is released, the motor won't restart until the start button is pushed.

Higher quality version: same principle of operation, but the stop button operates a real switch (push-to-break) in the feedback circuit. If your NVR switch is like that (the only way to find out is to have a look inside the casing) then adding another switch in series with the stop switch will do what you want. This extra switch is positioned so it is opened when the saw frame has descended to "cut complete" level. As the relay coil takes very little current (<0.05A, generally), a microswitch will usually suffice.

Can't help with the oil, gaiter or mystery hole, I'm afraid.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline RussellT

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 06:28:31 AM »
According to lathes.co.uk the later model hacksaws had NVR switches but it's not clear that they had any mechanism for an auto stop.  As Andy says it should be possible to add a microswitch to interrupt the current in the hold on coil - but it is likely to be at 240V so will need insulation /enclosure.  The earlier ones had a lever that turned off the switch on the end of the motor.

On my model 60 I used a rubber bellows that I had in the scrap box for a gaiter.  I think it was off a brake master cylinder - I turned a plastic disc to fill the hole at the small end and drilled 2 holes for the damper rod and screw.

I can't help with the mystery hole as I don't have a model 90.  Perhaps you could post a picture.

Russell

Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline 9fingers

• Info on Induction motors (Heavily UK based!)
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
The hole, which should be tapped, is for the screw-in Tee handle used for carrying the saw on site.

hth

Bob

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
I've had a Kennedy 60 for about 25 years or more.
Mine is in as-built condition.  It has worked flawlessly over most of that time,

I think I can answer a couple of questions that have been asked here -
1. The dashpot piston should have a thin spring steel washer fitted on its lower side and held in place by a large headed screw screwed into the opposite side of the thread for the central rod. This screw is adjusted to allow the flow of oil into the holes in the piston and the opposing rod is tightened down against it to hold the screw in place. The 'L' shaped off-centre rod bears down on the washer and is used to adjust the flow of oil.
2. Mine has the NVR switch which is lifted  manually to the 'ON' position, a rod attached to the cutting rails and bent into another 'L' shape with a plastic end cover is adjusted to turn the switch to the 'OFF' position as the cutting arm falls. Being the usual MEM type lever action switch its action is best described as snappy and the adjustment has to done with care and locked.
 but then I moved home.
If anyone wants pictures please let me know.

Today I decided to give it it's first service and to remove the years of crud.
It has the rubber gaiter covering the top of the dashpot, as is shown in some of the diagrams. This had worked free from the dashpot surround and as it is a tight fit I cannot see how to re-fit it.
Has anyone had this problem? Or any advice.

JerryNotts

Offline Digger

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
My Kennedy hacksaw machine is much modified, it's driven by a single phase  240 volt motor  with a built in reduction gear on the end, the  saw  itself is  driven by a 'V' belt, the  final speed being in the region of   80 strokes per minute,
I am a firm believer in any machine tool must be fitted with a no volt release starter, that if the power is interrupted it will not restart on it's own.

The original Kennedy had  a hoover motor, which had a switch on the end cover that was, by the use of a  bit of steel bar hinged and moved by the  saw  frame decending, flicked this switch to the off  position, thereby stopping the motor.

I wanted something better than this arrangement, when the frame of the saw is lifted  to put what you intend to cut in the vice,  a pivoted vertical bar rests on a stop on the fixed base,  to start the saw, a linkage is moved to pivot this  bar to allow the saw frame to decend, ( anyone who has a Kennedy will understand this).

As I did not want to  have mains power  going to any switch actuated by the frame of the saw when it completed it's cut, so I installed a microswitch with it's normally closed contacts, wired in series with the holding coil supply inside the no volt release  switch housing.

This micro switch is actuated by the  use of a  camera shutter  release cable held in a bracket directly under the saw fram latch bar, as the frame decends this latch bar pushes the camera shutter release which in turn opens the contacts of the micro switch, interuppting the power  to the holding coil of the no volt release switch. and the saw stops.
I have found this saw to be invaluable, for  the smaller jobs encountered in the workshop, as  time is  not an overiding factor, it really does not matter how long it takes to  make its  cut, I just set it going then do something else.

Digger

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
Hi Digger
                  The motor switch on my Hoover motor caused a fire which completely burnt out my motor.  I replaced the motor and have been switching off at the wall socket, at the end of cuts.  I bought a no voltage release switch several years ago, but never got round to fitting it. I recently visited Maplins to look at micro switches, I did not make a purchase, because I not figured out a tripping method. I would be interested in seeing pictures of your arrangement. I do miss that facility off self stopping when the cut is finished.
                                                   Cheers David

Offline Digger

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
Hi Digger
                  The motor switch on my Hoover motor caused a fire which completely burnt out my motor.  I replaced the motor and have been switching off at the wall socket, at the end of cuts.  I bought a no voltage release switch several years ago, but never got round to fitting it. I recently visited Maplins to look at micro switches, I did not make a purchase, because I not figured out a tripping method. I would be interested in seeing pictures of your arrangement. I do miss that facility off self stopping when the cut is finished.
                                                   Cheers David
Hi David

I have sent you a private message, I tried to up-load some photographs but for some reason was unable to do so.

Digger

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
Hi Digger

Many thanks for your swift reply, and the accompanying pictures, they were exactly what I required. Looks a powerful motor you have driving your saw, it will take a lot to stall it.

Good luck with your future projects.

Cheers David

Offline Digger

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
Hi David

The motor is only 1/4 hp, but because of the reduction gear, the final output torque is quite high, on one occasion when the saw jammed up, the drive belt slipped, which I suppose is a good thing, the stand to which the Kennedy is fitted was I believe, once part of the line shafting bracketry from a textile mill, the whole thing is mounted on castors, so it can be trundelled away quite easily, it's a  very useful bit of kit.

Digger