Author Topic: Combination Lathe  (Read 5508 times)

Offline johnny123

Combination Lathe
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:23 PM »
hello
Has anyone ever seen what happens when a Taig and Craftsman AA109 become one? I have been using my Taig lathe to make all kinds of nice things inside the short bed, but I keep looking over at my old AA109 on the shelf. That old Craftsman has a lot more travel center to center and really nice ways which makes me wonder why someone hasn't used this bed for the taig headstock and tail stock? With a little TLC the AA cross slide can be tightened up with new gibs, and I am sure the Taig headstock could be solidly mounted on a steel riser which would be as or more ridged than the Taig riser block setup (which I have been using for some time without too much complaints). I like the mods I made to my tails tock on the Taig and the one on my AA seems to work just fine except for not being a 3/8 thread for a drill chuck, but that is no object anymore as a new one could be made. I think this could be the project of winter 2010 here in my basement, and remembering how I spent all last winter down there…..Why not do it again this year? The only other thought was to make up a new headstock using some sort of tapered wheel bearings for that old AA109. If anyone is wondering I bought the AA with all gears robbed, Then I had found someone who was willing to send me a whole one for parts, unfortunately nothing more materialized.Cry

I

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Combination Lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
Johnny,

Nothing more materialized because I put the parts into a box in a corner and the parts got covered and I completley forgot untill now.  :doh: A few of these  :poke: would have kept me on the straight and narrow.

From the sounds of it you still would use the parts. I better get my caboose in gear and get those up to you then before the snow flies.

I'll inventory them and see what I have and it's off to UPS or Fedex. Which ever you prefer.  :bow:

Sorry about that.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline johnny123

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
hi Bernd
I kind of thought you found a home for them , and also been some horror shipping stories I have heard from ups since then. I really want the old thing up and turning within a reasonable price. I will send you a pm on this. :D

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
I did find a home for them, under a pile of other price posession's.  :lol:

Answered your PM.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline johnny123

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »
After a lengthy conversation with the old AA109's owner we agree a new headstock build is in order, and leave my taig alone as it works very well! A new headstock is simple as well as custom to applications. Thrust bearing out front,deep groove ball bearings behind X3, varible speed high hp mini lathe?