Author Topic: Moved the #21 Buffalo Forge drill press into the basement  (Read 19467 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Moved the #21 Buffalo Forge drill press into the basement
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
Sunday was moving day for the #21 Buffalo Forge drill press. I wanted it in the basement because it's warmer (a lot warmer) in the winter than the garage. Also need to make some room for the Bridgeport that is coming weeks end. So following is 18 pics of how I moved it into the basement. I started Sunday night and finished up Monday afternoon.

WARNING: Do not try this at home kids. You may get hurt. Also the methods I used may not work for you. This is not a "How To Move Machinery". Your on your own. I simply show how I did it.

This is the drill press ready to be moved. It's 6' 10" tall to the top of the pulley. The garage door is 6' 9". DARN.

Here's how I moved it across the floor. It's just a 1/2" dia. Rod to help roll it across the floor.

This how I got the rod under the base. Then I just used the crow bar in the back and worked it across the floor. I pick up the base and put the piece of wood under it to roll the rod forward and start all over again.

Tied to the bucket of the tractor ready to tip it over to get it through the door.

Starting to tip it.

Got her tipped and dragging it out side to take the top part of the drill off.

The top came off pretty easy. But first I had to figure out why it won't budge, even after I loosened the screws. Finally discover that a dowel was holding it together yet. You can just make out a small hole above the bevel gears that crank the table up and down. Drilled that out and the top separated from the base.

Both top and base loaded on pallets ready for the descend to the basement. That's the boss on the right, Miss Boots. She supervises everything I do.

Monday morning. First causality of the move, the door frame. Oh well a few nails will take care of that. Top half ready to slide down the stairs.

1/4 of the way down. Ya, I know. I shouldn't rub the strap across the edge of the concrete.

Here's what it looks like down at the basement door.

Finally down the rest of the way and through the door.

The pallet is sitting on two 8 foot long 2 X 4's and the pipe to roll the top on are laying there.

Ready to roll the whole works down the hallway in one swoop.

The base ready for the same trip.

At the bottom ready to be loaded on to the cart.

Loaded on the cart and ready to roll next to the top.

Move complete. Both base and top part now waiting for assembly. That'll be part two of moving the drill press, so stay tuned. I'll post as I get it assembled. That will be a monumental task. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll be able to hoist the top part high enough to get it on it's base column. Time will tell. Only other causality was a lever. That can be welded back up. All in all a save move.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Moved the #21 Buffalo Forge drill press into the basement
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »
The story continues with the drill press.
I assembled the bottom half to the top half and then tip her back up right. The follwong pictures document that proccedure.

This is the general area of where the drill press will wind up.

First I had to get the base off of the cart.

I used the crank mechanism and a 2" wide strap to pick up the base. Might as well use the machines cranks when possible.

Setting the base on the floor.

I found I could easily tip the base over with any tools or levers.

The top half was brought close to the base and the column was lined up.

A hydraulic car jack works nice for small moves of heavy equipment. Here I'm getting the up/down alignment.

The column has been slid home after some fine tuning of alignment.

The tip-up begins. After several false starts I finally was satisfied with the hook up and proceeded to tip the drill press up.

Almost half way. The chain started to slip so I readjusted the chain for a better hook up.

Almost to the end. I found I could easily push the machine by hand the rest of the way. I need to readjust the hook up before doing that.

I re-rapped the chain and use the strap with the ratchet to finish the job.

The drill press standing fully up right with any casualties.

This is how I move the drill press once upright. I use a crow bar and just lift one end high enough to get the rod under and then I use the crow bar to move the whole machine. Works much easier if a roller is under the machine.

All put back together and ready to drill... almost. I need to clean up the junk behind the drill press so I can move it next to the wall.
A bit of interest for the wood workers among you. That lathe behind the drill press is a wood lathe made by the Seneca Company in Seneca, New York. I believe that is was a treadle operated lathe. If anybody is interested I'll take some closer pics of it.

Well that's it for now. I need to finalize the DC drive and make some tooling for the drill press.

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics of moving about a 1,000lb. machine into the basement. Next will be the Bridgeport. That won't happen till some time next week. So stay tuned for that move. It needs to go in the basement also. Moving this drill press has given me some insight as to the difficulties of moving some thing heavy.

Regards,
Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »
Hi Bernd,

Looks like you have been enjoying yourself!?!  :bugeye:

So do you think the bridgeport will be this erm, easy!  :-\

I envy the amount of space you have to fill.... I am just about to struggle to get a new bench in for my mill....18" wide  57" long this will only allow me about 12" to squeeze my slight frame through!! (I am narrow.... Honest! ;D )

My shop gets noticably smaller every time I make any swarf!!!

Still... Back to it, keep us posted on the bridgeport  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
 :jaw:

Impressive Bernd! Can't wait to see the moving of the Bridgeport.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi Bernd,

Looks like you have been enjoying yourself!?!  :bugeye:

Ya, you could say I haven.  ::)  Almost forgot the ball turner. Need to make a handle. After all the machinery is moved though.  ;D

So do you think the bridgeport will be this erm, easy!  :-\

Same procedure just heavier parts. ;D Hope the stairway can take it. :P

I envy the amount of space you have to fill....

Well 2300 square feet of basement. Believe it or not it's almost full.  :bugeye: I keep tripping over stuff.

Still... Back to it, keep us posted on the bridgeport  :)

Ralph.

Not worry I'll be posting "How I Did It".  ;D Hopefully I'll have the Bridgeport home Friday sometime. Then next week I'll move it into the garage and start disassembly to move the individual parts into the basement.

Nice to see you back. Though you gotten lost somewere.  :thumbup:

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »

Impressive Bernd! Can't wait to see the moving of the Bridgeport.

Eric

Thanks. I don't think it was that impressive but then again it may have been.  ;)
I'll be posting how I did it. Might take a while though. ;D

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
I've been busy Bernd.... You know how life has that habit of not being as you want it..... ?

Still, I now have my car back on the road... The starter failed and then annoyed me a great deal.... It would have been a much easyer fix if it stopped raining for more than a few hours /night!!! (Not good when you are on your back under a very oily diesel engine!!!)

I am back on track.... Should get a bit of time on the mini ball turner this weekend.... I hope! I have to get it finished.

I really am going to have to consider moving to a country with bigger houses at reasonable prices!!! I need a huge basement and garage!!  :thumbup:

Hopefully I'll be posting some stuff later this week? (maybe next?!)

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »
Ya, know what you mean.

Not much fun laying under a car while it rains. It is nice to have a garage to do stuff like that in.

I finally can get back to finishing my ball turner now too. Just finished up to projects for the boys who play with cars.

If you want to move over here and try it out I can look for a house with just that. They're going pretty cheap with the housing crunch over here.  :thumbup:

I'll be watching for your posts.

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
l.... It would have been a much easyer fix if it stopped raining for more than a few hours /night!!!

Well you do live in the UK.  :beer:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
Well you do live in the UK.

Yes the land of the never setting seasons.... It is not uncommon to go out in the morning with snow on the ground, by lunch it is hot and you get sunburned and by evening you are in a terential rain storm mixed with hail!!! Or any combination of the lot!!! Seriously you never know what to wear out, it can change 5-6 times in one day!

Well the plan is to visit a few countries and figure out which one suits me best  ;D  I've got a few years before that can be put into full flow though... I would like to consider my future here in my home land, but it is getting worse. This country would be great indeed if it were not for the greedy politicians and mega businesses.... IMO. I suppose I will find the same in most any place I wish to settle? But you have to try for a better life don't you?

Sorry, soap box now kicked back under the table.... Please carry on Bernd ;D

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 09:18:40 AM »
Well if your planning on visiting a few countries then stop by New York. I'd love to have you stop for a while I'm sure the wife would like that too.
But as you say the politians are the ruination of it all. Same here. :'(

As you say on ward. I'm sure you been keeping track of my next project, the mill move. That's it for the drill press thread for now.

Bernd

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »
Rigging heavy equipment is like sausage.  The end result is very satisfying, except you really don't want to see the process. :clap:

The mill will move in pretty much the same manor.  Just remember that they are top heavy when handled from the base and tipping is a very real danger.  The professional riggers that moved the helicopter shop after the flood, picked up the mills from hoisting rings screwed into the top of the machines as per Bridgeport instructions.  The foreman was happy that we had the overhead clearance to allow for vertical "picks", stating that otherwise they would have removed the heads for safety before moving the machines on rollers.

Just a thought?  Have you considered making the floor decking above the stairwell a removable section?  It would allow you to lower stuff down without the "Egyptian Shuffle" down that ramp.

I think I would rather use a chain fall than the cable come-along for the hoisting.  They can be had for short money off of Craigslist. 
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »
Bernd, Next time I hit the states I am planning on a few stop offs, NJ is on the cards as is NYC and then NC (I hope these acronyms are correct and non transferable?) I was also hoping to make a visit coinside with some festivals etc.... I likes me music! ;D  (real stuff that is, non of this hiphop and rap stuff!!!)

It will be a little while yet.... I have to fund my renovations first!.... Plane tickets are £400 - 600 return That's a hefty chunk of cash in my book!! (then I need the spendies too!!)

Still, on with the show.... Where's that mill thread???  :)

Ralph.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
Nice beam..Whats the height of that cieling?.........Your only way into that shop is by going indoors and then down the stairs?..Might shoulda built an elevator on side of the house,, a scissor type lift sat down in a covered hole..or mast from a very large old foklift, something to make it easy to take heavy items down into the shop and back up again.....
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:21:11 AM »
Rigging heavy equipment is like sausage.  The end result is very satisfying, except you really don't want to see the process. :clap:

Were I worked they moved 10 to 30 ton machines by overhead crane. It was an assembly floor for gear cutting machines. So I've seen heavy rigging.

The mill will move in pretty much the same manor. 

I've posted the mill move over on HMEM. I haven't had time to post it here, but will do so shortly. Stay tuned.

[quote
Just a thought?  Have you considered making the floor decking above the stairwell a removable section?  It would allow you to lower stuff down without the "Egyptian Shuffle" down that ramp.
[/quote]

At the time I built the house the plan was to build a workshop in back of the house. The basement was to be reserved for a very large HO scale model railroad. Unfortunatley the stean engine bug bit quite hard and I sort of lost interest in a large model railroad. So now I've decided to put the big machines in the basement. If I was going to be moving machines in and out of the basement constantly I would have considered a different method. I guess I'm stuck doing the "Egyptian Shuffle".  ;D

I think I would rather use a chain fall than the cable come-along for the hoisting.  They can be had for short money off of Craigslist. 

My dad has one and I plan on using that, so no need to buy one.

I'll post the Bridgeport move here shortly.

Regards,
Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Bernd, Next time I hit the states I am planning on a few stop offs, NJ is on the cards as is NYC and then NC (I hope these acronyms are correct and non transferable?) I was also hoping to make a visit coinside with some festivals etc.... I likes me music! ;D  (real stuff that is, non of this hiphop and rap stuff!!!)

You got it right Ralph. To bad I live 5 to 6 hours away from NYC. Looks like your going to be well south of me.

It will be a little while yet.... I have to fund my renovations first!.... Plane tickets are £400 - 600 return That's a hefty chunk of cash in my book!! (then I need the spendies too!!)

Still, on with the show.... Where's that mill thread???  :)

Ralph.

To bad the tickets are so high priced. Things aren't getting cheaper over here either. The "spendies" could be quite high. :jaw:

As I told Rog. It'll be posted here shortly, so be patient.  :hammer:  ;D

Regards,
Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »
Nice beam..Whats the height of that cieling?

I thought I mentioned that. Went back and checked my post. I didn't mention it.
Here are the stats: 7' 10" floor to bottom of joist and a 7' floor to bottom of "I" beam.

.........Your only way into that shop is by going indoors and then down the stairs?

That is the enterance to the garage. I wanted an inside enterance to keep dry during rain and no snow getting in in winter. I have a spiral stair case going from the great room up stairs to the basement.

..Might shoulda built an elevator on side of the house,, a scissor type lift sat down in a covered hole..or mast from a very large old foklift, something to make it easy to take heavy items down into the shop and back up again.....

If I had intentions of building a machine shop in the baement in the first place I would have done something of that nature, but I had planned on building a large HO scale model railroad. This move only came about a month or so back when I decided to move the drill press into the basement. I decided that a shop out back of the house would mean another place to heat and I'd have to go outside traveling back and forth from house to shop. So the decision was made to put everything in the basement. Hind sight is 20/20. :thumbup:

Stay tuned for the Bridgeport move. Soon to be posted here.

Regards,
Bernd