Author Topic: New Member Bert  (Read 2719 times)

Offline btberlin

New Member Bert
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
Just joined this forum at recommendation on another forum.  I own a Sieg X2 mill, and a Sieg 7 x 10 lathe (both Harbor freight branded).  My machining experience dates back to graduate school when i spent a year or so building stuff in a research machine shop.  Learned on an Induma mill (graduated to Bridgeport eventually) and a South Bend lathe.  Made some camera motor drives for time-lapse growth studies, and an analysis tool for positioning cursors over markings on film.  That was 40 + years ago.  I recently, in the past year, decided to buy the lathe and mill, as a break from woodworking.  Mostly I have built some repair parts for gardening equipment, and have used the mill to make some tools for the lathe, and vice-versa.  I have built a dovetail type QCTP for the lathe, and a bunch of holders.  I am planning to make an extended leadscrew for the cross feed to get the tool closer to the operator.  My plan is to turn some crs to the same diameter as the current screw, and make the LH thread on the lathe.  I'm also planning to make a Delron nut for the screw using the heat-the-screw method seen on a forum, and to move the new nut further out towards the end of the cross-casting.  Also in the plans, of course, is an extension for the handle-end of the screw, and a ball-bearing addition.

bert

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: New Member Bert
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »
Bert

Welcome to MadModder Bert.  :ddb:

It looks like you have the tools necessary to make a good start on things. I am sure that should you have any questions, their are lots of members here that will do their best to give an answer or at least an opinion. When you get a chance perhaps you could post up a few pictures of some of the projects you have been up too.  :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
Hiya Bert!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have the same machines! Upgraded mine a little with some more to come. Be careful of the "Making tools so you can make the tools to make the parts" I got stuck in that phase (still am) and have as much doing that than making stuff!

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
Hi Bert.  :wave:

Welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds