Author Topic: Tool gloat 2  (Read 10869 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Tool gloat 2
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
As you know, I hate posting tool "gloat"s, especially the kind which costs money.... but sometimes IMHO there are some bargains out there.

Before the gloating begins, however, Santa did show up with this little lot a few days back:

Must have been Bad Santa, however, 'cos he emptied my bank account on his way out.  :scratch:

No sooner had I re-filled it, than this came along:

But, this comes from Ye Olde Seconde Hande Toole Shoppe, so it came fully loaded:

Mixed bag of stuff up top, includes a few stars e.g. 2 sets of letter/number punches, a couple of vernier dial calipers, some tippex (apparently this is just the stuff to stop silver solder flux from running where it shouldn't), valve grinding paste (just too late for the QCTP!) & other gubbins. 1st draw is filled to bursting with screwdrivers of all sizes.

2nd draw has a full set of ratchet spanners (ratchet in the ring section). Wooo, posh. Some normal spanners too. 3rd draw has a bunch of those Torx type drivers, including the itty bitty ones that you need to take old hard disks apart & other such frippery. Excellent news, albeit not for the old dead 170Mb (yes, Mb) drive that's been dying to have it's magnets repurposed...

Leather punch (why?), what looks like a device to fit press studs (why?), rivet thingy, some split pins & some of those spade terminals they put in cars which come apart when least expected.

Whoever used to own this had a real problem with circlips; everything on the left is a circlip opener... Also some really long pliers.

Impact driver, lots of sockets & ratchets, loads of allen keys. Excellent, that draw will get used a lot. Also a tidy torque wrench (brand new, it seems). Bonus!

Files, and some mystery stuff, see below.

A set of hex & torx drive bits (blue box),  more circlip pliers, and underneath that the tool you eventually use to remove the circlip after all else fails.

Spanners, yay! At last, a set of spanners which I _know_ where they all are.

Filter wrenches. At least one of those should fit any filter known to man.

Not bad for 250 squids. Ah well, it was this or food; and I figured, tools are forever, whereas food you can only use once (twice, if you're a dog).

A couple of mystery tools:

I'm sure I've seen something like this on this 'ere website, but for the life of me I can't remember what. Each one is stamped with a dimension (2.5mm, 5mm through 10mm) and looks vaguely like a church organ pipe. The 2.5mm has something stuck in it, but I can't tell what (and it's snapped off). The knurled thing to the right is, I think, a punch & not related to the other bits. Any ideas welcomed.

Another one:

When the handles are squeezed, the jaws separate:

The round thing with the hole is obviously designed to take a bar, when turned the central spike drives downwards. I assume it's for pushing something through something else, but what & when & why? Could be auto related, this seems to mostly have been an engine mechanic's toolbox.

Finally, this one; I think it might be a deburring tool with replacable tips; at least, it made a cracking job on a piece of aluminium I had hanging about the place. Not as good as the tools Bogs showed a while back, but heck, it'll do for the time being.

Last but not least, I also picked up a mixed bag of carbide inserts for a couple of quid:

They're a proper mixed bag; I can use the triangular ones in one of my holders, and I think I can use the rhombus ones too (can't find the holder to check). The sharp pointy ones at the top look ideal for a forthcoming ball turner  :proj:

The two parallelogram tools look ideal for single-point cutting Whitworth (or any 55 degree) threads. I can't use the "bumpy triangle", parting off or larger 60o thread cutting inserts - so, if anyone wants them, just send me a PM & they're yours for the taking. I'll get rid of some of the smaller triangular threading inserts too, as I can't see me ever using THAT many!

Phew, after going through all that lot, I've no time to do any real work! Oops....
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Tool gloat 2
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
First unknown are wad punches for making holes in gaskets or in your case putting a couple of extra holes in your belt as you will have to tighten it up a bit after getting this lot.  :wave:

Second unknown is a chain link extractor for splitting endless chains.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
Where's the 'gloat' smilie?

Would luv some of the inserts...ccmt and others.. :)

nice buy Adev..you seem to have scored well there..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
Oh dear!  Some poor guy has gone to the big workshop in the sky and they sold all his stuff.  RIP mate. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
Oh dear!  Some poor guy has gone to the big workshop in the sky and they sold all his stuff.  RIP mate. :coffee:

Yes, that's almost certainly what happened - or, he's not yet gone but had to sell up to pay for his care, the UK system is pretty nasty like that (pay your stamp all your life, then get screwed over when you need to call on the so-called insurance you paid all your life).

Whoever it was who owned this box, didn't do much with it. Most of the tools look brand new, there's almost no oil/grease/detrius on them, or the bottoms of the drawers, etc. And it's not just that they're well looked after, they just look unused. So it's probably quite a recent accumulation...

At any rate, assuming it used to belong to a dead guy, I hope I can put it to good use in the future & do the set justice. Although I'm not yet sure whether to keep it more or less as it is; or to put all the lathe/mill tooling in the rollcab & put the spanners etc. in my other toolboxes... Oooh, decisions.

John R - PM me with what you'd like, insert wise; I will keep at least one of the CCMTs (unless I find my holder & they don't fit), but most anything else is fair game, let me know.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
that tool box looks as though somebody might have been working on electric gate openers .
there's a lot of stuff there i used when i was doing that line of work. (i liked that work a lot)
anywho nice 

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
Must have been Bad Santa, however, 'cos he emptied my bank account on his way out.
I hate that guy!  :(

But at least you got a shed load of tools  :thumbup:

Now... knurled thing on the right of the (in my case) gasket punches is a carbide burr!! 1/4inch shank to fit a die grinder (very fast hand use spinning tool 16000Rpm+) I use them for getting into tight spots on the cars before welding, and now smaller versions in my workshop for all sorts of rapid material removal.

Hell of a hoard there chief, I can mentally price a lot of that and you have a bargain as long as you are going to use the bulk of them. Are those ratchet spanners the Halfords ones?

Circlip pliers.... I have about 8 sets. You need them in certain trades  :borg: 

The long nosed extra length pliers are very useful on water hoses etc up the face/back of engines  :thumbup:

You'll find most of that very useful in your other hobby too :beer:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »

Now... knurled thing on the right of the (in my case) gasket punches is a carbide burr!! 1/4inch shank to fit a die grinder (very fast hand use spinning tool 16000Rpm+) I use them for getting into tight spots on the cars before welding, and now smaller versions in my workshop for all sorts of rapid material removal.

Aah, I thought the knurling was a little on the sharp side... would an ordinary drill run this fast enough to be useful?

Hell of a hoard there chief, I can mentally price a lot of that and you have a bargain as long as you are going to use the bulk of them. Are those ratchet spanners the Halfords ones?

Most of the ratchet spanners claim to be "Halfords Professional" - I didn't even know they did such a range - there's another make on some of them, which I forget just now. I reckon most of the stuff will be used to some extent. Maybe not the circlip pliers, the masonry drillbits and the leather punches so much, but everything else will come in handy around the place. I don't plan on throwing anything out, that's for sure.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »
Yes, a great collection and by the eclectic nature of it I would say someones home shop collection.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
Nice collection, I`d like a metal tool chest but a bit to pricy - I do keep my eye out on ebay!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 02:08:26 AM »
Ade,
Tool envy? You bet!  :thumbup:

It seems your good luck is because of someone else's misfortune, but, I am sure the tools now have a good home.  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 07:11:30 AM »
FWIW, the shop I buy them from is almost all stocked from workshop clearances - and it's literally piled to the rafters. One occasionally sees nice lathes pass through - mostly smaller stuff like Myfords - there was what looked like a woodworking version of a mill in there the other day. I spied an 8" 3-jaw chuck in there the other day, £20. It's obviously been there for years, it was virtually stuck to the floor... But, some WD40 has got everything mobile again, so I'll chuck it up in the 4J & check it for runout/workholding capability. If it's any good, I may as well make a backplate for it & call it a good 'un. And it has to be easier than the 4J if I don't need to do offsets or <0.001" accuracy stuff.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:22:33 AM »
Hi Ade,

Where is this emporium of which you speak? As you know, I'm not a million miles from your neck of the woods, so could easily reconnoitre.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 08:16:14 AM »

Where is this emporium of which you speak? As you know, I'm not a million miles from your neck of the woods, so could easily reconnoitre.

Hi Andy,

It's New Ferry Tools - Google Street View

That link acts a bit oddly on my machine; it starts off showing the shop, then jumps back to the search result... either way, it's 34 New Ferry Rd, Rock Ferry, CH62 1BJ. Phone no: 0151-644 8317 - it's always worth phoning before you make a trip, just to make sure he's going to be open... its a British shop in the Olde tradition (closed Wednesdays, and whenever the owner is doing other things).

If you do go there, tell him I sent you (mention the rollcab if he looks blank) - can't guarantee a discount, as nothing has a price on it - just haggle as required.

Oh, PS: If you do end up going there, I'm only a few minutes further up the road, where a coffee & chinwag is always on offer...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
Ade, the normal drill will run 'em but the material removal will possibly be a bit rough?

Something like this .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-AIR-DIE-GRINDER-TOOL-22000RPM-6MM-NO-COMPRESSOR-/400149460487?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item5d2ac43607 
At such low cost it's hardly worth damaging the bearings in your drill!

The Burr you have probably cost more new than the grinder!  (although you can get them cheapish too)

Halfords professional are very good ratchet spanners, I've used them a lot. Made by Sykes-Pickavant so it's told. Full set (8-19mm) = £80:00 but often reduced in their many sales to half that.  Well worth having though, saves hours on fixing the motors  :thumbup:

Circlip pliers with flat ground heads on then make very good separators in their "squeeze to spread format " they can be very useful at getting stuck rubber hoses and the likes off with minimum damage.

Well, just a but of useless info!

Ralph.

(closed Wednesdays, and whenever the owner is doing other things).
Is right!  :beer:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »
I can see there are some gaps in your general education, not knowing chain breakers or wad punches :doh:, where have you been all your life?
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
:doh:, where have you been all your life?

Mostly, writing computer software... I came to mechanical engineering late in life.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

MrFluffy

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:34:26 AM »

It's New Ferry Tools - Google Street View

That link acts a bit oddly on my machine; it starts off showing the shop, then jumps back to the search result... either way, it's 34 New Ferry Rd, Rock Ferry, CH62 1BJ. Phone no: 0151-644 8317 - it's always worth phoning before you make a trip, just to make sure he's going to be open... its a British shop in the Olde tradition (closed Wednesdays, and whenever the owner is doing other things).

If you do go there, tell him I sent you (mention the rollcab if he looks blank) - can't guarantee a discount, as nothing has a price on it - just haggle as required.

Interestingly he used to do lots of his business via a stall on Ellesmere port market in the 80's. Back then he used to sticker up everything on the stall with a price, and what a price it was! most of the time it was cheaper to go buy the stuff new. I think I once bought a ex mod ratchet strap from the stall after he had a reduction to clear it out and Ive still got it. Maybe time and years of people walking straight off on seeing the price has softened him a bit :)

Halfords professional come with lifetime guarentee on certain stuff, but when I went to change out the yoke on my 3/4 crack bar which failed in normal use because of a inbuilt stress raiser on the design, they said the guarentee does not extend to ratchets and other things like that...