Author Topic: Trying to do the impossible? Thoughts on a flame licker...  (Read 6859 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Trying to do the impossible? Thoughts on a flame licker...
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
I am quite possibly headed for failure but I intend to give it a go and that is to design and make an atmosperic engine!  (Flame Licker)

Most everyone I see on this and similar forums when they make a flame licker they make a very small machine, I admire their clever and precise workmanship and doubly so if the engine actually runs.  For my part I want to make it easier for myself by making something a bit bigger so I am starting with a bore of about 40mm.

If I am not mistaken the ratio of circumference to area of a circle varies by a square law so a bigger diameter piston has less peripheral friction for its size than a smaller one.

So far I have turned a cylinder and a piston,  the cylinder is steel water pipe and the piston is a turned down end fitting for the same type of pipe and I am hoping the expansion ratios are somewhat similiar.  The piston is an easy sliding fit and I turned a couple of grooves in it which seem to give a rather nice seal when partially filled with powered graphite.

So that is the piston and cylinder,  I have some bigger diameter water pipe that I will make into a water jacket.  I think a water jacket for a flame licker would make for easier starting if it is filled with boiling water before trying to start.

I will have two ports, one a simple flap valve which will open whenever the bore pressure reaches atmospheric, this will be the exhaust valve.  The second port will be the input port which will be operated by the piston to give a sudden opening at TDC and an equally sudden closing near BDC.  The aim of this arrangement is to reduce the chance of exhaust gases mixing with the hot input gases.

Most flame lickers seem to have the flame exposed and just positioned near to the cylinder port,  I will make a small chamber which will be filled with hot gases from the flame and the cylinder will draw from this, this also is intended to reduce 'room air' mixing with the flame gases.

Work continues.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:38:06 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Rob.Wilson

Re: Trying to do the impossible? Thoughts on a flame licker...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Hi John

Sounds a very interesting engine project ,,, being a big fan of larger engines  :)

Rob 

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
John,

I do have Jan Ridders Vertical one (freebie) in my plans archive, so if you want a copy let me know. It might give you a few pointers.

I would suspect a vertical one might have a bit less cylinder friction than a horizontal one.

I have seen large version flame lickers, but they have been vertical ones with a captive wick and chamber just below the inlet. They stood about 12" to 15" high and looked like the small compressors they used to have on old wagons for generating braking pressure.

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:52:37 PM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
Hi John

I will try to do this one without anyone else's plans,  just to try there theories of mine.

Yes, I think a vertical would have less friction so maybe I can work that in. :scratch:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:41:29 AM »
Good on yer John!  :clap:

Go for it...... Sounds very good to me.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:43 AM »
Sounds interesting John,

I love flame lickers, there's something about them. Can't wait to watch this one unfold.

Nick

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
I regret this project is becoming pushed aside due to the pressure of getting ready to move house and shop!

John

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
This sort of thing often happens John but needs must, you'll pick it back up some day.  :thumbup: