Author Topic: Micro drill bit set from 0.2mm (UK)  (Read 12891 times)

Offline rvt

Micro drill bit set from 0.2mm (UK)
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
I'm looking for a set of micro drill bits. I can only find sets that start at 0.3mm, or 0.4mm, which are too large for my next project. Of course, I could buy a set that starts at 0.3mm and then a set of (say 5-10) 0.2mm bits, but that wouldn't be as cost effective... so just wondering if anyone has a good source for these sorts of things that I should check out?

Many thanks :-)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Micro drill bit set from 0.2mm (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:56:21 AM »
I get my micro drills from here. Even though they have been used, they are perfectly good enough for the sorts of work we do.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jtg1969/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

His stock is changing all the time, so you might have to wait until the correct sizes comes up.

With them being carbide, you really have to get the speed up with no or very little runout at all, otherwise they will just break.

I am sometime soon to be drilling a load of gas jets with a 0.004" (0.1mm) diameter hole.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline rvt

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip Bogs.

BTW, do you have any general advise for holes this small? I'll be around 0.2mm to 0.4mm for the project I have in mind. Drilling aluminium, no more than 1mm in thickness. I'm using a micro mill, which tops out at 5,000 RPM I think. Too slow...? :(

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
In theory, for me to drill 0.1mm I require about 96,000 rpm , and at that sort of speed and with carbide drills you can almost disregard what material you are drilling.

But of course although speeds like that can be reached (at a price), if you are very careful with setups and runout, and if you are not too heavy handed, you can 'get away' with much lower speeds.

I was given a high speed, high precision drilling machine a little while ago. It will only reach 6,500 (I think) as it stands, so I am going to try it first. If I do suffer heavy attrition rates to my drills, I can quite easily modify to run up to just over 10,000 rpm. It is the speed which gives the drill it's strength to withstand the bending forces that break them, centrifugal force keeps them straight and rigid, but if you have too much runout, even the act of turning fast can snap the drill. HSS are better at withstanding runout, but I couldn't find any cheap ones in the sizes I required.

0.02mm (0.001" approx) is a lot of runout when it comes to tiny drills.

All I can say is try your mill, if it works, great, if not, you might need to make a drilling machine, as I was doing until I was given the one I now have (not too difficult), or get someone else to drill them for you who has the equipment.

My donated drilling machine with drill mounted

What a tiny drill looks like. The chuck is the smallest Albrecht do, it holds up to 1/8".

Compared to normal small drills

The one on the right is 1.5mm diameter, on the left, 0.5mm (0.020"). The one I will be using in the middle, roughly twice the thickness of a human head hair.

Addition - Imagine a 1/2" drill having the same ratio runout as the one I will be using. If the runout at the tip is 0.001" and my drill is 0.004", then that equates to having the tip of the 1/2" drill wobbling with 1/8" runout. Now you can understand why runout, or lack of it is so important.

Bogs
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:22:05 AM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
Surely you'd be better having the hole laser cut? It's possible down to 0.1mm.

Regs

Bry

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
Now where's the fun in that, plus when the holding jig is turned up, I will be able to drill one or a thousand holes.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
And if you want silly hole sizes as in for sieves probably worth contacting Endecotts Ltd London.

I've got an Endecott sieve the hole size is around 20microns/0.020mm :D

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
Bogs

Is it an optical illusion or it that .5mm drill bent.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Dave,

No you aren't going cross eyed, it is in fact bent, but it was in a boxfull of tiny drill bits and was the first one that was pulled out of the right size.

Cheaper drill bits of this size really are very easily bent. In other words, crap.

But now it is famous by being in one of my pics, I can let you have it for 5 squid plus 20 squid postage. It will save me putting it up on fleabay for the same cost.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175