Author Topic: Making Decals  (Read 11142 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Making Decals
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
Found this via another site, the uses would be endless ... for reproducing decals that is  :dremel:

Can find the stuff needed on Ebay cheap enough too ..

http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?Page=CreatingDecals&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Making Decals
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
That is pretty cool.  Never knew they sold the stuff.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Thanks, Darren. I'd no idea such stuff was available. As well as restorations, I can see uses for it labelling knobs and switches. I wonder if, with experiment on sizing the image, it might even be possible to make a graduated dial by wrapping a decal round it - the numbers would look better than I can do with a punch. It would probably need a few coats of protective varnish.

One slight problem is that I only have a monochrome laser printer, and I don't know if toner would take on the decal paper, or if the paper would withstand the printer's heater.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
well if im not learning more and more.  now i just hope the brain last that long. i made pdf file for this one and saved it for latter. (just in case the brain fails me)  :lol:
 :mmr:    :proj:      :beer:   thank you   :beer:  :headbang:

Offline MikeA

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »
Hello Darren,

A couple of additional points: the decal paper is available for both Inkjet and Laser printers; if you have access to a color laser printer the color saturation and separation is better, although the inkjet does a darn good job as well.

Three is also a material called Self-adhesive vinyl that seems to work better and has higher adherence (at least for me!)

Additionally, I use Krylon Crystal Clear Coat available at the big box stores for a few bucks, works great and one spray can will last a long time.

I've finally been able to post some photos - why does it say max attachment size if 4048 KB yet is limited well below that?

All the best,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:44:16 PM by MikeA »
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks, Darren. I'd no idea such stuff was available. As well as restorations, I can see uses for it labelling knobs and switches. I wonder if, with experiment on sizing the image, it might even be possible to make a graduated dial by wrapping a decal round it - the numbers would look better than I can do with a punch. It would probably need a few coats of protective varnish.

One slight problem is that I only have a monochrome laser printer, and I don't know if toner would take on the decal paper, or if the paper would withstand the printer's heater.

Andy
Andy I have used this before http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/productcat.asp?parentcatname=Laser%20Printable%20Vinyl&parentcat=40
and it works a treat

One thing to bear in mind is that not all printers print at the correct size well mine don't  :scratch:
I'm trying to make a face plate for another project and my new kodak is always the wrong size yet my old cannon laser is perfect
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:17:42 PM by j45on »
Jason

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
Hi Darren

I think i've seen decal paper for inkjet printers  in the Hobby's catalogue

I'll have to look next time I'm in W H Smiths

John

update - found at hobby.uk.com

white and clear paper for both laser and inkjet printers   1 A4 sheet @ £2-20 !
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:06:36 PM by John Swift »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Nice one Darren  :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great link

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
I've finally been able to post some photos - why does it say max attachment size if 4048 KB yet is limited well below that?

Fixed. Was missing a zero  :doh:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline MikeA

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:34:17 AM »
Hello Eric,

Thanks! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong,

Best,
Mike
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'