Author Topic: look what i found....  (Read 8378 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
look what i found....
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »
This looks like it will aid me greatly in the comming months/years.....   :thumbup:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_7487.htm

I use the hand held circular saw version at work and that cuts through 1" steel box section like it's not even there!!!

It will fit into my tiny workshop somewhere.... just got to make some room!!!  :hammer:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
Re: look what i found....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
It works!!!! Boy does it work......

All cut in less than 5 mins and all cut straight!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D 

Steel tube 13mm, bronze 18mm, brass 10mm mild steel 11mm and.... Stainless steel 14mm!!! No problem.... like the proverbial hot knife....   ;)  Well worth the £90:00 outlay     ;D

Ralph.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:52 AM »
Well lucky you that looks great, but it must be a UK thing as the US stores don't even have a page for the saw and other items that are there!. Just food and some clothes and some furniture, go figure. It doesn't say what the dia of the blade and what is the cut through thickness. And can you get replacement blades,or get them sharpened. But if Aldi, has em won't be long before Harbor Fright and the Home Despot has em too!
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:35:46 AM »
   I have couple three bandsaws that always manage to do the work I want to do but I'd like to try a saw like that one....I also have a Milwaukee abrasive cutoff saw that is worthless for my work except I do keep and use it for the rare times that I have to cutoff a piece of hardened steel.....Which raises the question---- that saw there, can you put an abrasive wheel on it to cutoff piece of hard steel? How does the blade mount ,has a  round arbor hole or some propriatary square or star shaped hole? ...or maybe it spins too slowly I dunno is why I am asking.....Tell us more..
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
Here's a link from Sir John on the other board!
http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/store/shop.cfm/ses_/details.cfm,list,x,13,3525,FURY2,x,x,x/Evolution%20Fury%202/Fury%202%20Saw/FURY2%2014%26quot%3B%20Multi-Purpose%20Chop%20Saw/
They also have a number of blades styles with it from $62.00 to $160.00 or so.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
Their are several variations on the "Dry Saw" concept available here in the states.  Delta makes one that I am most familiar with.  I think Milwaukee also has one available.   

The biggest draw back to the "dry saw" is the noise, which is easily overcome with the use of ear muffs.  The BIGGEST upside is the lack of grinder grit flying around the shop.  The swarf is just metal chips and can be easily directed into a bucket. 

An acquaintance, recently had a job that required him to section some 4130 plate into 2'X2' squares.  Lacking a shear capable of handling that size sheet, he used one of these and a worm drive hand saw.  The results were exceptional!  Nice clean, smooth cuts with no distortion.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/steelp.html

I have been considering an older wood miter saw modified with clamping vise and the addition of one of these blades.  The old cast iron miter saws come up on CraigsList for short money occasionally.  DUNNO, just thinking out loud here (that clanging sound you hear is the BB rattling around in the boxcar).

Having used a BEWO saw at the helicopter company I can assure you that it is a very civilized method of parting metal.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »
I've been out all day, just got back.... Went to see an old fella named John.

I can not yet answer your questions... except it has a 14" blade!! and cut thropugh that stainless like it wasn't there!!

It will be mostly used on brass and aluminium... but some steel will work it's way through.

I will be using it quite a lot soon enough so will take a vid or two and post them.... also need to work out a max cut, I need to know what to avoid!!

Going to the pub now  :beer:

Ralph.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
Very cool Ralph. We have Aldi here in the states, but they have nothing like that! I think Bob Warfield has something like that... i know it cost way more than what you paid.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
Well to the fact your Aldi sucks...   :(

And to the fact I paid very little for my new 'WONDER SAW' ....  :thumbup:   8)

I'm going to be out in the shop most of the day tomorrow... I got a new bench comin for my mill and have to find space for this new saw and a 5ton toggle press!!!!! Still haven't found space for the circle cutter I purchased a year ago (cuts am 18" disc from 3mm steel!!!) Thought I might need it for when I try spinning?!?!  ;D

I'll report on all sorts tomorrow evening hopefully  :)

Ralph.