Author Topic: Brass Orrery  (Read 6557 times)

Offline Corvus corax

Brass Orrery
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:10 AM »
I have wanted one of these for ages.
I know one was recently offered as a kit in some kind of magazine. My wife is a hobby astronomer and wanted to to buy the set and have me build it for her. However, the local suppliers only wanted to sell the German edition of the magazine and not the English one, so we never got it.

Anyway this is a nice description of the mechanism of one.
http://brassorrery.blogspot.com/
Something to put on the "when iI get around to it" list. Of course I would first have to finish my gear cutters, which need the slitting saw on the mill which needs the belt drive conversion....... :doh:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Brass Orrery
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
That would be great. That is a good link. I have always wanted to build one of them.

I am pretty sure one of our magazines did a write up one. Let me look.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
I recall reading that a magazine called "Digital Machinist" (I think that's the title, I may be wrong) did an article on one's construction. Never seen it. Supposedly it was based on the Ferguson type Orreries which I am particularly interested in.

Ferguson's book: Select Mechanical Exercises is on my list of books to get. Since it was published in the late 1700s, one would assume it to be online somewhere in pdf but it isn't.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Yup. I get Digital Machinist, so that would be the one. I will check when I get home form work.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.