Author Topic: Hi from Caithness, Scotland.  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
Hi from Caithness, Scotland.
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »
   :wave: Hi Folks,  :wave:

Just joined this forum, looks great.

I'm into model boats and steam engines. Semi retired now and managed to persuade SWMBO to let me have my workshop back after 30 years!!

So money being tight have invested in a "Chinese" workshop from Warco. 918 lathe, and Mini Mill (just like the X2). Quite good once you realise their limitations.

Biggest problem living up here is getting hold of stock material, everything has to be ordered on "tinternet" with additional postage charges 'cos we live in the Highlands.  Local engineering shops are only fabricators and ingenius "farmyard engineers" who can fix anything as long as its welded and made from black rolled steel!

Looking forward to getting back into model engineering after such a long time.

Regards to all,

Peter.
Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Rob.Wilson

Re: Hi from Caithness, Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
Hi and welcome Peter

Well you could not much further north  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob  :D

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hi from Caithness, Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
Hi Peter!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have the X2. One of the first things I would do is a belt drive conversion and some sort of DRO. I took the cheap route (because money is tight) and used chinese scales. Works like a champ.

Scotland? Would love to see pictures. It is one of the places I want to visit (that and New Zealand).

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.