Author Topic: Hello  (Read 14049 times)

Offline Blade

Re: Hello
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
Hi Andy,

When you are tempering an item with differing thickness with a torch the safest way to work it is by just applying the flame to the thickest part.  This can be tricky to get the heat to travel to the entire piece without over heating where you are applying the heat. If you are trying for straw color you should be able to reach that in the oven or even a small toaster oven if you aren't allowed in the kitchen :wack:.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 04:24:23 AM »
Hi Blade

I'm a bit late with this but welcome to MadModder. I have been following some of your posts on the knives and it is real interesting how you can turn chunk of steel into works of art like you do. Thanks for showing them to us and I hope that you enjoy being a part of the forum.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline NilocH

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Hello Blade,
I'm new here too.  Geoff Hague works just a few miles away from me, you may be familiar with his work. http://www.hagueknives.com

Offline Blade

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
Hi Blade

I'm a bit late with this but welcome to MadModder. I have been following some of your posts on the knives and it is real interesting how you can turn chunk of steel into works of art like you do. Thanks for showing them to us and I hope that you enjoy being a part of the forum.

Cheers

Don

Thanks Don!

Hello Blade,
I'm new here too.  Geoff Hague works just a few miles away from me, you may be familiar with his work. http://www.hagueknives.com

Helo NilocH,
The knives look familiar I have probably seen them on the knife forums. Nice work!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
I'm new here too.  Geoff Hague works just a few miles away from me, you may be familiar with his work. http://www.hagueknives.com

A grand for one knife  :bugeye:  :jaw:  :bugeye:

I have spent £80 on my leatherman and close to that on some other purchases but a grand!!!!

Some quite nice to look at, but I'd be scared to use it!

I dare not ask how much yours are any more Eddie!

Just been re-reading all this.. Maybe some of it should be transferred to the how-to's section?  there's a lot of useful info in there on hardening and tempering  :thumbup:

I will one day have a go at all of this.... Just got to finish building my house, sell it, but another house with land or ready build workshop space and then kit it out and have a go!  After finishing the 8/9 current projects off that is!!!  ::)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Blade

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
Hello Ralph, Yeah custom knives can be expensive. Sorry I never got back to you with a price, I meant to send you a PM, my knives range from $350 - $1200 depending on materials and how complicated the design is to build. Sometimes you can design in features that require a lot of extra work and time. I have added a couple of pics of a knife in the upper range, all of the curves make the knife harder to build, the pivot is made from damascus bar stock also and the radial hole pattern was done on a dividing head. I normally use factory made screws for most of my knives so adding custom parts and fancy materials adds to the cost. A nice set of ivory scales can cost $200 or more and damascus can run $15 -$20 an inch or more so the cost for the maker can add up quickly also
I'm new here too.  Geoff Hague works just a few miles away from me, you may be familiar with his work. http://www.hagueknives.com

A grand for one knife  :bugeye:  :jaw:  :bugeye:

I have spent £80 on my leatherman and close to that on some other purchases but a grand!!!!

Some quite nice to look at, but I'd be scared to use it!

I dare not ask how much yours are any more Eddie!

Just been re-reading all this.. Maybe some of it should be transferred to the how-to's section?  there's a lot of useful info in there on hardening and tempering  :thumbup:

I will one day have a go at all of this.... Just got to finish building my house, sell it, but another house with land or ready build workshop space and then kit it out and have a go!  After finishing the 8/9 current projects off that is!!!  ::)

Ralph.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:08:44 AM by Blade »

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
Ok, so... Nice is a bit of an understatement..... I'd still be scared of scratching it!!  :)

I think that knife looks a lot better than the ones shown on that other site. Purely on looks, materials mean nothing if they look rubbish. (My opinion.... No one shout at me please. )

I have a feeling that the side clip might be a little stabby though? Looks quite pointed? 

I do very much like the style though  :thumbup:   :clap:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
 :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: STUNNING  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Quality don't come cheap   :thumbup:

Rob