Author Topic: Internal threading. 35mm x 1.5 on a 7x10  (Read 16794 times)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
Re: Internal threading. 35mm x 1.5 on a 7x10
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »
Why not run the tap and die until all burrs are worn off?

Bry

Offline bp

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
That's really why I did the test piece.  It seemed to make little difference to the burrs.  Why worry I hear you say??  As I mentioned I am a bit (!) pedantic and it seems to me that the form of the thread could well be altered.  The fact that the male part appears to fit without a huge amount of rattling about only confuses me more!!  The thread feels gritty when being assembled, despite everything being very clean (ultrasonically) and lightly oiled.
Maybe this needs to be on a separate thread, sorry to hijack etc etc.
cheers
Bill Pudney
Adelaide, Australia

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
Probably best to email the tap and die technical department and see what they say.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:08:47 PM by bry1975 »

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
By the sounds of it you have got hold of some carbon tools from Tom & Dick's Cheapo Emporium, and I am sure they wouldn't have come from Tap & Die, as mentioned above.

The rough edges and burrs are a sort of giveaway sign of carbon screw cutting tooling. Very soft steel would be the hardest thing I would attempt to use them on. They normally cut OK, but tend to be very brittle in use and can easily snap, not just the taps, but dies as well.

A thing that I always found with cheap carbon sets I have used in the past, is the even with the die fully expanded (centre screw, tightened) the generated thread would still screw into the threaded hole, whereas normally, with good quality T & D's the male thread would be much too large to fit into the threaded hole, and so then you creep down in size until you get a perfect fit.

You would also most probably find that carbon taps are not serial, but all the same diameter in a set of 3. Good quality HSS have a smaller OD for first and second cut and a final larger OD for the plug (bottoming) tap. This allows for easier tapping to full size in tough or hard materials.

A lot of people don't realise that you can get serial taps, so when they only use say a second cut to thread a hole, the screws are either tight going in or sometimes lock up solid as they are screwed in because the threaded hole is in fact too small.

Arc Euro do some good general purpose serial taps at very reasonable prices for a set, and I have some in my collection, but never having used them on a real tough stuff, I can't comment on their life expectancy.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Taps

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »
Just to reply to Bry's request.

Normally I will help anybody out, but after being stuck on a commission project for almost a year, and that should be finished within a week or so, I am taking no more work on for the time being, and getting some of my own backlog cleared.

I have so many half finished projects on the go, this has become a necessary step for me.

BUT, if you have the material (plus a bit extra in case of problems) and the original article that can be measured up accurately, and there are no strict time deadlines, I could slip it in between doing a few of my own jobs when time becomes available, most probably it would be completed within two or three weeks.

That is about the best I can do for you.

Bogs
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:19:59 AM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
I regularly use my (genuinely) imperial lathe for metric threads without problems.